Can't install my games. Really frustrated.

by Gog27

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Can't install my games. Really frustrated.

★★ Novice

I'm going to be going through a bit of a rough patch, most likely will have no access to internet, so my buddy sent me a code for the Mass Effect trilogy for something to play offline. Unfortunately I'm notified after going through the whole download, that the games failed to install. I've tried both ME and ME2, neither have worked, both install logs refer to a similar issue.

Mass Effect

05:18:57 Installing GDF ...
05:18:57 Installing E:\Origin\Mass Effect\GDFBinary_en_US.dll ...
05:18:57 Alternate GDF game name Mass Effect
05:18:57 IGameExplorer2 for windows 7
05:18:57 ERROR: Executing Windows API IGameExplorer2::InstallGame failed (80070005)
05:18:57 GameExplorerInstall returns 80070005
05:18:57 ERROR: Failed to install 'E:\Origin\Mass Effect\GDFBinary_en_US.dll' for install path 'E:\Origin\Mass Effect\'
05:18:57 Failed to install GDF
05:18:57 Installer finished with exit code: 3
05:18:57 Shutting down data reader.

Mass Effect 2

06:00:16 Installing GDF ...
06:00:16 Installing E:\Origin\Mass Effect 2\GDFBinary_en_US.dll ...
06:00:16 Alternate GDF game name Mass Effect 2
06:00:16 IGameExplorer2 for windows 7
06:00:16 ERROR: Executing Windows API IGameExplorer2::InstallGame failed (80070005)
06:00:16 GameExplorerInstall returns 80070005
06:00:16 ERROR: Failed to install 'E:\Origin\Mass Effect 2\GDFBinary_en_US.dll' for install path 'E:\Origin\Mass Effect 2\'
06:00:16 Failed to install GDF
06:00:16 Installer finished with exit code: 3
06:00:16 Shutting down data reader.

So far, I've tried regedit, running as admin, adding Origin to my firewall and then giving it exceptions, doing a full manual uninstall of Origin and then a clean reinstall, redownloading both games and rebooting my PC. I have zero problems on other platforms and in fact, just installed Subnautica Below Zero to the same drive yesterday with no problems, worked fine.

It's been a long time since I last used Origin, and it caused me nothing but headaches back when I purchased Titanfall 2, extremely disappointed that it's still not in a functional state. Been scouring Google for hours and I just can't find a solution, and I'd appreciate any assistance possible.

Message 1 of 4 (384 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Can't install my games. Really frustrated.

★★ Novice

Further update

Fixed Mass Effect 2's  issues by editing the registry with additional entries

"locale en_us"

"path E:\Origin\Mass Effect 2"

These were placed in "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\BioWare\Mass Effect 2"

Then, the game refused to launch, I also found a solution to this, in renaming the .exe files located in the binaries folder as follows;

Changed MassEffect2.exe to MassEffect2Launcher.exe

Changed ME2Game.exe to MassEffect2.exe

Can't wait for all the issues with Mass Effect 3 lol

View in thread

Message 3 of 4 (334 Views)

All Replies

★★ Novice

Update

I ran regedit and added the line "Install Dir E:\Origin\Mass Effect" under "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\BioWare\Mass Effect", and it recognized the installation. Then, I had to run Mass Effect in Windows XP mode and it worked.

Unfortunately this solution does not seem to work for Mass Effect 2. Any potential solutions would be appreciated, thank you. And if any EA employees want to just toss me a Steam code and save me the headaches, that would also work.

Message 2 of 4 (354 Views)

★★ Novice

Further update

Fixed Mass Effect 2's  issues by editing the registry with additional entries

"locale en_us"

"path E:\Origin\Mass Effect 2"

These were placed in "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\BioWare\Mass Effect 2"

Then, the game refused to launch, I also found a solution to this, in renaming the .exe files located in the binaries folder as follows;

Changed MassEffect2.exe to MassEffect2Launcher.exe

Changed ME2Game.exe to MassEffect2.exe

Can't wait for all the issues with Mass Effect 3 lol

Message 3 of 4 (335 Views)

Community Manager

Hey @Gog27 thanks for the update and sharing the fix that worked for you.

Darko

Darko.png
Message 4 of 4 (299 Views)