Re: Can't change user name (EA ID).

by EA_Jason

Original Post

Can't change user name (EA ID).

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

"ID contains a prohibited word or character" when I try to change my name (EA ID https://myaccount.ea.com/). Yet I used this name in the past, there are no prohibited or special characters, your support asked me to create a bug since they also "don't know why". 

Message 1 of 6 (1,283 Views)

Community Manager

@cipsauwage 

Even if your chosen username does not contain a prohibited character or profanity, you will need to choose another name that is accepted. 

Apologies for this and thanks.

barry.png
Message 2 of 6 (1,260 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

Thank you for your message, but it's not an explanation for why it isn't possible.

I think that the problem is that I used that name in the past. Then changed it. In your database you do not delete the original record but create a new one with a new name and migrate the data there. Is it posible to create a ticket for your devs to change this behaviour? A simple prefix to that original name (e.g. deprecated-XYNAME) would make it possible for a person to claim that name once it's not being used. Plus it would solve the current error about prohibited characters which is inaccurate.

Thank you

Message 3 of 6 (1,251 Views)

EA SPORTS FC Team

It's usually because someone else is already using that specific username @cipsauwage.

I get that it can be a little confusing when you see this error message when you don't have any special characters etc. included, but that's most likely it. 

If you used that name in the past, then log into that account and change the username to something else. Then you can sign into the other account and start using the username (if it's still available). 

Jason.png
Message 4 of 6 (1,219 Views)

★★★ Newbie

even your old account cant change name how you support to change 

Message 5 of 6 (520 Views)

Community Manager

Hey, 

This thread is being locked down as it is an old one.  If you have more questions or want to keep the chat going, please start a new thread! That way, things stay neat and tidy, and everyone can join in.

EA_PulsarAHQ

Message 6 of 6 (512 Views)