Battlefield 4 update running looong time

by gy3428327

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Battlefield 4 update running looong time

★★ Novice

I play Battlefield 4 single player only, and I just noticed my firewall had blocked it. I allowed it through the firewall and it started an update.

It's been running for over 14 hours, which is ridiculous.

Is this normal?

How long till it finishes?

Is there anything I can do?

Intel Core I7-920, ATI Radeon 7800 series, 14GB RAM, 75mb internet

Message 1 of 4 (336 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Battlefield 4 update running looong time

★★ Novice

Hi Ataashi,

Thank you for your replay.

After > 24 hours, I killed the update, rebooted and then restarted Origin and BF4.

The update appears to have been applied, at least Origin didn't try to restart it.

I was not able to identify any shortage of resources which may have slowed things down.

It appeared that the download had completed and was being applied. It seemed to be chugging happily along, using 13% of my CPU, sometimes going up to 31%.

It was doing no normal file I/O, just racking up > 20 million "other" I/O, apparently network communication. My firewall was not interfering.

Oh well, everything seems to be fine now.

It's good to know about the safe mode downloading option. I was not aware of that, but I will use it in the future.

Thanks again

gy3428327

View in thread

Message 3 of 4 (297 Views)

All Replies

Community Manager (retired)

Hey @gy3428327 

Can I ask if your game is still updating? Wondering

It's indeed quite unusual for the update to be downloading for such a long time, but it depends on a few factors like the speed of your Internet connection or additional software, which might be blocking some Origin's functions. Have you tried to turn on the safe mode downloading before? It will make the download more stable.

/Ataashi

Message 2 of 4 (310 Views)

★★ Novice

Hi Ataashi,

Thank you for your replay.

After > 24 hours, I killed the update, rebooted and then restarted Origin and BF4.

The update appears to have been applied, at least Origin didn't try to restart it.

I was not able to identify any shortage of resources which may have slowed things down.

It appeared that the download had completed and was being applied. It seemed to be chugging happily along, using 13% of my CPU, sometimes going up to 31%.

It was doing no normal file I/O, just racking up > 20 million "other" I/O, apparently network communication. My firewall was not interfering.

Oh well, everything seems to be fine now.

It's good to know about the safe mode downloading option. I was not aware of that, but I will use it in the future.

Thanks again

gy3428327

Message 3 of 4 (298 Views)

Community Manager (retired)

Glad to hear that it's working for you now @gy3428327 Standard smile

I will mark your post as the accepted solution but don't hesitate to let us know about such issues in the future.

/Ataashi

Message 4 of 4 (271 Views)