Re: Apex Legends Caused Overheating

by EA_Darko

Original Post

Apex Legends Caused Overheating

[ Edited ]
★ Novice

Explanation of Problem

Two days ago, I was playing Apex Legends at night and simply shooting in the Firing Range to mess with the new graffiti mod. In the middle of my session, my game stopped. The screen turned black and then instantly turned blue with the iconic Blue Screen of Death (BOSD). At the time, I only had Apex Legends and Discord open. In a state of panic, I did my usual routine of checking if my computer is running fine and as the system was running its diagnostic test. Right at my first step, I felt the case of my computer and it was hot to the touch. No other problems with the system were apparent. Even the fans were all running and they're all turning in the correct direction. It didn't make sense that my computer would overheat because I've taken quite good care of it consistently and I've never noticed any issue like this with Apex or any other game before. The following day, I was checking my computer for signs of overheating for what felt like every ten minutes when I played every single game. I even checked it when I was simply watching YouTube. Everything was fine until I logged onto Apex once more. Within those ten minutes, the entire PC must have raised at least 5° and it was only getting hotter as I played. After about two games, the system was way too hot to think this was just a fluke.

What Have I Done to Troubleshoot?

After letting the entire system cool down, I opened the game back up and had both my hardware temperature monitor and my task manager open. To my surprise, the temperature was skyrocketing the second I was in the lobby. On the task manager side of things, my GPU usage was in the 90th percentile. It would bounce between 90% to 97% of the gpu usage in Apex alone. I've tested going into a game on both King's Canyon and World's Edge as well as shooting in the Firing Range and using the same exact guns I was using during the crash with the BOSD. I have used CCleaner to clean out the cache as well as made sure all Overlays for both Discord and Nvidia were disabled. I updated my drivers to the newest version because they had been outdated... nothing.

In-Game Settings

My in-game settings are as follows:

• Display: Borderless Window (Fullscreen also has the same problem)
  • Aspect Ratio: 16:9 (native)
  • Resolution: 1920x1080 (native)
  • FOV: 110
  • V-Sync: Disabled
  • Adaptive Resolution FPS Target: 100
  • Adaptive Supersampling: Disabled
  • Anti-aliasing: TSAA
  • Texture Streaming Budget: 2GB VRAM (Was none on day of BOSD but doesn't seem to have a change)
  • Texture Filtering: Anisotropic 2X
  • Ambient Occlusion Quality: Disabled
  • Sun Shadow Coverage/Detail: Low
  • Volumetric Lighting/Dynamic Spot Shadows: Disabled
  • Model/Effect Detail: Low
  • Impact Marks: Disabled (Was low on day of BOSD but doesn't change GPU usage)
  • Ragdolls: Low

As you can see, my settings have everything as low as it can possible take, yet it's causing problems. I would not have an issue with this if my system was practically a potato, however, my system not only reaches but exceeds the Recommended System Requirements on the official ea system requirements website.

My PC Specs

All of the important PC Specs of my system are listed below.

• CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core Processor
  • RAM: 32GB
  • GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX 1070
  • GPU RAM: 8GB

As far as my specs go, none of this should be happening with the game. I can play other BRs such as Call of Duty: Warzone on the highest graphics with only 20% GPU usage the entire game. It breaks my heart to be forced away from one of my favorite games at the moment, but if this isn't fixed, it would be a serious danger to my computer. I hope I can get help or get an update that addresses the issue soon.

Message 1 of 5 (8,400 Views)

Community Manager

Hey @Trikout using task Manager to manage and keep track of your GPU or other usage isn't worth it, it's almost always wrong and not worth thinking about. 

Also 100% GPU usage is not a bad thing, it means that your GPU is doing its job and not being bottlenecked by your CPU. If it was showing as 50% usage then this would be a concern but high 90s is perfectly fine.

Have you anything on your system to monitor your system temperature, last weekend I had an issue when playing Rage 2 where I BSOD and my system felt like it was about to burst into flames it was so hot. A restart and the issue appears to have fixed itself, do your have any software where you can play around with your fans and increase their speed to keep your system cooler?

Darko 

Darko.png
Message 2 of 5 (8,372 Views)

★ Novice

Hi @EA_Darko thank you for responding. I have the MSI Dragon Center which gives me control of my fans and monitors the temperatures of my CPU. I also have the Nvidia System Monitor. I can turn my fans up so anything above 70° would be 100% speed. What would typically be the best settings to keep it from potentially overheating?

Message 3 of 5 (8,353 Views)

Community Manager

The best thing to do is to check the MSI website for info on the optimal settings for your system @Trikout.

I have an MSI gaming laptop here and with a little playing around I was able to get it just where I wanted, the best thing I can recommend is to just play around with it and check various guides to see what suits you. Also, just to add running your fans at 100% won't have a negative effect, it may wear them down quicker but is perfectly safe to do. 

Darko

Darko.png
Message 4 of 5 (8,338 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

@Trikoutgo to NVDIA control panel choice APEX.exe turn off "image sharpening" i had the same issue before and i test 3 days.hope it will work on your PC.

Message 5 of 5 (1,481 Views)