Re: All origin games have low performance, with laggy and choppy video quality

by Mantakno

Original Post

Accepted Solution

All origin games have low performance, with laggy and choppy video quality

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

Hi,

Ever since I started using Origin again, I've had bad quality on all games played through Origin. The problems vary a bit between games, but seem to be indicative of similiar causes. As follows:

Apex Legends - Stuttering and choppy. Sound quality is filled with static. Changing graphics settings makes no difference, and FPS is between 30-50 on both lowest and highest settings.

Pillars of Eternity - A slight stutter every second or so.

Mass Effect: Andromeda - The worst issues of the three. Lags, chops and stutterings without avail. Completely unplayable. Beyond this, all ambient and background sound is gone, leaving only the character voices with any sound at all, apart from the static-filled lightning bolt hitting the ground, or the choppy noise when I fire the pistol. (Played until first map to see if it would give in). Game worked flawlessly on release 2 years ago, with GTX 670 and only 8 GB RAM.

Non-origin games working flawlessly - Shogun 2: Total War, Warhammer 2: Total War, The Witcher 3, PUBG among others.

My specs are:

Windows 10 64-bit

Intel (R) Core(TM) i7-4790K CPU @4.00 GHz

16 Gb RAM

GeForce GTX 1070

Two SSD drivers, one with OS + Pillars and Apex installed, the other with only ME:A installed.

Internet speed - 1000/1000, minimum measured speed using websites to check bandwidth is around 200-250/200-250.

Fixes tested:

Repaired/reinstalled all games multiple times

Trying all manner of settings on the games in question

Turned off Origin in-game overlay

Started Origin in offline mode

Tested Clean Boot

(Apex Legends)Tested every setting and fixed showed on entire front page on the following Google searches: "Apex Legends low performance", "Apex Legends lagging", "Apex Legends stuttering", "Apex Legends low FPS" among others.

All non-essential programs disabled

Scanned for any malware

Disabled virus protection

Cleared Origin cache.

And finally - Did a full reinstall of my Windows 10 OS. The funny thing is this actually solved it, for a short while. Apex Legends was working flawlessly, until 3-4 days after the reinstall it started lagging again. No software or Windows update was installed during these days. Imagine the frustration.

I'm at the end of my ropes here, does anyone have any suggestions?

Message 1 of 6 (5,037 Views)

Accepted Solution

★★ Novice

I found the issue, and I'm quite amazed that only Origin games have been affected. My chassi was completely and utterly filled with dust. Especially the processor. A friend of mine came but, ran a "Core Temp" program, noticed the crazy-high tempature and found the problem. Very embarassing for me.

Thank you Darko, for giving some tips, and I'm sorry for taking up yours or anybody else's time with this very menial problem.

View in thread

Message 4 of 6 (4,979 Views)

All Replies

Community Manager

Sorry to hear that you are having issues @veBe1337.

There was an issue some people were having with a recent Windows update resulting in stuttering in game, as such can you check which version of your OS you are running.

If you are all up to date then can you open your PC game mode and try the following:

• Press the Windows Logo Key Windows logo Start button + G to open Game bar.
  • Select Settings Gear-shaped Settings icon in Game bar
  • In the General tab, ensure that the Game Mode checkbox is not ticked

Let me know if it helps.

Darko

Darko.png
Message 2 of 6 (5,020 Views)

★★ Novice

Hi EA_Darko,

Updates are all up to the latest, do you know which version caused such issues?

Regarding Game bar, tried to uncheck but it made no difference. An interesting fact - during thursday I turned off both the origin and the geforce overlays, and ME:A (except for the audio which was terrible)  and Apex both worked alright for a while. Come Friday however, both where back to laggy and unplayable choppyness. 

Do you know what might cause such incredible swings in quality when no other changes where made between the two rest points?

Message 3 of 6 (4,996 Views)

★★ Novice

I found the issue, and I'm quite amazed that only Origin games have been affected. My chassi was completely and utterly filled with dust. Especially the processor. A friend of mine came but, ran a "Core Temp" program, noticed the crazy-high tempature and found the problem. Very embarassing for me.

Thank you Darko, for giving some tips, and I'm sorry for taking up yours or anybody else's time with this very menial problem.

Message 4 of 6 (4,980 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Guide

do check own pc brand support site, or if custom build pc then its brand mortherboard support site.
and ofc you have Nvidia experience installed and optimized games.

and watchout for DSR games and 4K monitor issue's as so many other have posted about. ( DPI at Orgin client settings. )

ps.

do check advance Graphic settings ingame, not the first time i have seen tweak options on so graphic is alot better then max settings ( again besure what the card can handle and need is there per game ) fiddle with it can get overheating pc and lead to more unstability and as other user point out  ( DUST will bring pc down if not clean every year. not saying a pc is a hower , but that is actual the problem over long runs with no cleaning )

Message 5 of 6 (4,973 Views)

Community Manager

Glad to hear that you got it sorted @veBe1337.

Enjoy your games.

Darko

Darko.png
Message 6 of 6 (4,951 Views)