Help us improve Answers HQ! Take Survey No, Thanks

Why cant I include the word Gaymer in my Display name?

by cammybear1989

Original Post

Why cant I include the word Gaymer in my Display name?

★★★★★ Newbie

I'm trying to make my username include the word "Gaymer" but the system is blocking it. I reached out to the CS team but they said the name was in violation because:

"as there are few words which should not be used as they may hurt the sentiments of any other player "

I'm confused why "Gaymer" hurts anyone's sentiments... this feels like an unnecessary censoring.

Help?

CS ticket46550256

Message 1 of 4 (123 Views)

Re: Why cant I include the word Gaymer in my Display name?

Community Manager

Sorry to say @cammybear1989  but if the system is not accepting the username then it is not possible to use it. 

Darko

Message 2 of 4 (105 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

I find that to be a tough pill to swallow, for the word "gay" to be outright banned as offensive is very disheartening. To have a system that the Customer service and community management team cant override seems like a massive oversight. it is 2019 and to be told that who I am as a person is banned because (as your CS rep told me) "there are few words which should not be used as they may hurt the sentiments of any other player " is outrageous, homophobia shouldn't be protected.

Message 3 of 4 (98 Views)

★★★★ Newbie

@EA_Darko  I think its pretty loaded that the word GAY is banned but when I try lesbian, lgbt, straight, or trans they all get through, Mind telling us why gay is the word being censored? Don't just say the system blocks it. Someone programmed the system to see the characters G-A-Y and say no to anyone trying to include that in their name. Thats rediculous and when you contact support they say the only resolution is to post on the forums. See the word document ive attached with a screenshot of my communication with support. If your company is going to be homophobic then just own up to it instead of hiding behind "the system bans it" 

Message 4 of 4 (71 Views)

Origin Access FAQ

Learn about Origin Access and the benefits of signing up.

Visit the FAQs