Re: Rubberbanding in multiplayer / can't join a pub game with friends / no player communication / weird AI spawns and balancing

by OscarHaze

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Rubberbanding in multiplayer / can't join a pub game with friends / no player communication / weird AI spawns and balancing

★★★ Novice

So far, I find this game truly amazing and enjoying it a lot. The most intense and satisfying moments occur when you race with real players, and that's when problems start. I'm playing on PC, don't know if such issues are present in console versions. Here they are.

1) Rubberbanding. Even if i play with a friend in a private game, we see each other lag most of the time. Sometimes we don't. We are ~50 kilometers away from each other, so what's the reason for such inconsistent connection? I see problems on EA's servers side, not local connection problems. When you play with other people, some of them lag, some do not. But mostly, around 80% of all people I meet, lag like crazy, obviously it ruins the experience. This is totally unacceptable in a game that so heavily emphasizes on seamless multiplayer. Those 20% of lag-free races are truly the best moments you can get out of this game, so it needs fixing ASAP.

2) It's a HUGE bummer that you can not team up with a friend in a pub game. Technically, you are connected to a pub game with a friend automatically, sure, but only if there is a free slot. With only 6 players simultaneously in a game, it's virtually impossible to, say, join as two cops and chase other players. In three days we play, we NEVER had a chance to play a pub game together. It would be neat to have an option to create a party with friends and join other people's games where certain number of slots are available. Or having an option in a "friends game" setting to enter with your buddies first, and then allow random players to connect to your game.

3) It's bad not to have a text chat, because you can not start a massive event with pub players intentionally. It' be great to have an option to mark an event on the map and invite other players to race. If at least one of them agrees, you are teleported to the start location, kind of like it was in 2012's Most Wanted. And to have an option to send an invite to a head-to-head race through some kind of menu. Because if you simply find a racer on the map, spend some time trying to catch up with him, it's highly possible he is engaged in some event already, and you can not send a challenge to him. Or he simply refuses, it's so frustrating (especially if he doesn't lag lol). I've never seen anybody using their microphone in the game. So, player communication should be fixed, I personally have only one friend who plays the game, but I want some massive player races.

4) Finally, the AI cars spawn. I noticed that in a race there are always identical cars. Like, i start a race, and the game spawns five Ford Mustangs, or five Audi R8s. You should have different cars, that perform in a same way - like, having porche caymans, aston martins etc in early games, and some middle and top-end cars in middle and late stages of your career. In fact, i noticed that EVERY SINGLE car is identical on the map at any given moment of time. If the game spawns 5 Gallardos in a race, be sure to see random racers on the road drive a Gallardo. It's weird and it bums me out. And AI cars are not matched fairly to you either. One time, I was driving a fully customized BMW M3 and struggled in a MEDIUM race against what seemed to be porche spiders. Then, driving a Ferrari I encountered Dodge Chargers in a HARD race and beat them like it was nothing. So the point is, the devs need to balance the AI racers and add some variety to them.

Oscar out.

Message 1 of 11 (6,887 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Rubberbanding in multiplayer / can't join a pub game with friends / no player communication / weird AI spawns and balancing

★★★★★ Novice

For number 2 you can both join a friends game. And then select public and press apply (dont find a new session).

This will change your friends game to a public game and allow other people to join.

View in thread

Message 11 of 11 (5,611 Views)

All Replies

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Apprentice

As far as lag between multiple players on line is concerned, you have to realize that no matter how close or how far away your friends are, there will always be communication lag no matter what. It is virtually impossible to have zero lag. In a vacuum, electrical waves can travel the speed of light, therefore on earth, using wires connected to millions of computing devices all which have a job to do like your game controller, computer, network card, router, modem, gateway, hops from server to server (many hops possible when travelling around the world), back through a gateway, modem, router, network card, computer etc.......have any idea how many lines of code and miles of wire and number of  pieces of hardware that is? You expect there to be no lag or latency? Ok. Even with the best online multiplayer games out there, no matter the product, there will always be latency. It cannot be helped......perhaps maybe.......if all the devices out there used supercooled quantum computing components. Even then there would likely be measurable latency. Even if 2 computers were directly hooked together, latency would still ocurr.....just less perceivable by the humans using them. Nothing in computing is instant.

That being said......it is also possible for a product to just really suck on top of all I mentioned in the prior paragraph.  Here's a couple of articles on lag or latency:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satellite_Internet_access#Challenges_.26_limitations

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lag

Message 2 of 11 (6,869 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

Excuse me, i may have not been clear. When I say "lag like hell" I mean to an unplayable extent. When a player jumps around the screen, teleports forwards and backwards 15 meters every 1.5 seconds - it completely breaks the game. I know what server lag and latency means, I play a lot of online games like Battlefield or Planetside. When ping is under 100ms it's completely playable, no rubberbanding whatsoever. In NFSR you can not choose a region to play. For example, i play BF on European servers only, so I don't have the lag issue, other than server-side, when your ping is 3-50ms, and the whole server is like "OMG LAGLAGLAG" in the chat, because of broken netcode. Even when i play with my friend, who is, like i said, 50kms away, i get the crazy unplayable lag. So, something is wrong with server optimization. I think, at the end of the day, even seamless multiplayer has to have some kind of network or desired region settings. So, maybe you are right and NFSR is a great game, but a really, really lousy product Standard smile

Message 3 of 11 (6,858 Views)

★ Pro

@OscarHaze wrote:

So far, I find this game truly amazing and enjoying it a lot. The most intense and satisfying moments occur when you race with real players, and that's when problems start. I'm playing on PC, don't know if such issues are present in console versions. Here they are.

1) Rubberbanding. Even if i play with a friend in a private game, we see each other lag most of the time. Sometimes we don't. We are ~50 kilometers away from each other, so what's the reason for such inconsistent connection? I see problems on EA's servers side, not local connection problems. When you play with other people, some of them lag, some do not. But mostly, around 80% of all people I meet, lag like crazy, obviously it ruins the experience. This is totally unacceptable in a game that so heavily emphasizes on seamless multiplayer. Those 20% of lag-free races are truly the best moments you can get out of this game, so it needs fixing ASAP.

2) It's a HUGE bummer that you can not team up with a friend in a pub game. Technically, you are connected to a pub game with a friend automatically, sure, but only if there is a free slot. With only 6 players simultaneously in a game, it's virtually impossible to, say, join as two cops and chase other players. In three days we play, we NEVER had a chance to play a pub game together. It would be neat to have an option to create a party with friends and join other people's games where certain number of slots are available. Or having an option in a "friends game" setting to enter with your buddies first, and then allow random players to connect to your game.

3) It's bad not to have a text chat, because you can not start a massive event with pub players intentionally. It' be great to have an option to mark an event on the map and invite other players to race. If at least one of them agrees, you are teleported to the start location, kind of like it was in 2012's Most Wanted. And to have an option to send an invite to a head-to-head race through some kind of menu. Because if you simply find a racer on the map, spend some time trying to catch up with him, it's highly possible he is engaged in some event already, and you can not send a challenge to him. Or he simply refuses, it's so frustrating (especially if he doesn't lag lol). I've never seen anybody using their microphone in the game. So, player communication should be fixed, I personally have only one friend who plays the game, but I want some massive player races.

4) Finally, the AI cars spawn. I noticed that in a race there are always identical cars. Like, i start a race, and the game spawns five Ford Mustangs, or five Audi R8s. You should have different cars, that perform in a same way - like, having porche caymans, aston martins etc in early games, and some middle and top-end cars in middle and late stages of your career. In fact, i noticed that EVERY SINGLE car is identical on the map at any given moment of time. If the game spawns 5 Gallardos in a race, be sure to see random racers on the road drive a Gallardo. It's weird and it bums me out. And AI cars are not matched fairly to you either. One time, I was driving a fully customized BMW M3 and struggled in a MEDIUM race against what seemed to be porche spiders. Then, driving a Ferrari I encountered Dodge Chargers in a HARD race and beat them like it was nothing. So the point is, the devs need to balance the AI racers and add some variety to them.

Oscar out.

1. What you are referring to is not rubberbanding, that's something completey different. Rubberbanding is when you're racing the AI and they're way ahead of you. They will then slow down significantlly allowing you to catch up. It works the same way when you're pulling away, the racers behind will then speed up to catch up to you. What you're experiencing is lag, simple as that. No, it's not really your fault either it's the horrible solution they chose for network. One player is the designated host, meaning you're relying to his or hers connection. Start up a friends only session instead and you should have little or no lag.

2. Totally agree with you here. Even if the hos drops and the host migration starts, in allmost all cases a new player joins even before the migration is done. If you could just make your current friends only game into a public one, that would solve that problem. Again, crappy solution.

3. I've said this in another post too, but yeah. As of now you never do any events with other players, maybe one other if you're lucky but that's it. They need to sort this out.

4. I think the AI cars are decided by the "rank" of the current event. But yeah, they make no sense...

Message 4 of 11 (6,855 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

Concerning Joining and creating public servers...

Why do all players love the way Counter Strike servers work, and are all the game makers doing something else. 

By far the best method I ever ever ever saw was the CS method. This is a 100% online game, which has not changed since the MOD from the original makers, and to this day is one of the most played games ever. 

What is the reason why game devs don't use this anymore? Just create a server, and let people join. Just search for a server with settings you like and join. It can not be more simple as that... The experience has been great year after year... So why don't we just use that system. 

I am not a die-hard gamer, but with GTA4 I noticed this "auto-join" "host unknown" "incontestable" multiplayer system for the first time. I hated it. Serious, I stopped playing multiplayer only for the way it was hosted... Since then I see more and more of these "solutions" and have never had the same flawless experience as in CS... 

Why!?

Message 5 of 11 (6,851 Views)

★ Pro

@WCitizen wrote:

Concerning Joining and creating public servers...

Why do all players love the way Counter Strike servers work, and are all the game makers doing something else. 

By far the best method I ever ever ever saw was the CS method. This is a 100% online game, which has not changed since the MOD from the original makers, and to this day is one of the most played games ever. 

What is the reason why game devs don't use this anymore? Just create a server, and let people join. Just search for a server with settings you like and join. It can not be more simple as that... The experience has been great year after year... So why don't we just use that system. 

I am not a die-hard gamer, but with GTA4 I noticed this "auto-join" "host unknown" "incontestable" multiplayer system for the first time. I hated it. Serious, I stopped playing multiplayer only for the way it was hosted... Since then I see more and more of these "solutions" and have never had the same flawless experience as in CS... 

Why!?

Are you seriously comparing an FPS that's 13 year old with a modern racing game in terms of dedicated servers? While I do agree that dedicated servers are the best solution, setting up a server park for Rivals is A BIT more demanding than some old shooter that more or less could run as a server on a smartphone today...

Message 6 of 11 (6,849 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

"dedicated servers".  This is a broad term. Even a home computer could host a 18 person CS party.. Without problems. The game is mostly run on the local machine of players and only some non graphical data is interchanged with the server, like your coordinate. 

The server calculates everything together and is not rendering graphics.... 

So yes I do think anybody could host a server for Rivals if the game was set up the same way as the Half Life/CS method. 

The age of a game doesn't change a thing. Not only the games have gotten "heavier" if that is what you mean, but also the Home Computers and internet. With SimCity we are totally relying on at least some internet connection.. So developers are not scared anymore for online requirements. 

Explain me why Half life 2 can be hosted at home, and not Rivals. What has changed so Rivals could not be hosted on my home computer. 

And after that about Home computers... You still have the Dedicated servers as in servers which are located in a datacenter. I think you also mean those... And again, why should this not be possible with Rivals. Other games which have the CS method just hosted there own servers at launch. Maybe only 4 ore 5... After the community got hold of the game and where willing to start there own servers... The official servers slowly shrinked. People hosted more and more games of there own... And dedicated servers in Datacenters where also growing. I wouldn't mind renting a server for 10$ a month and host my own game to play with friends or host publicly.. And we al know there was a huge business in this hosting of game servers. 

So this system worked.. Gamers got involved. Even today this system is working... After the 13 years you mention. 

I would love to see a huge online community with Rivals in about 13 years... 

Ow, and I am not sure... but is Rivals not essentialy hosted on a players machine? We just don't have a interface to choose and create servers.... 

Message 7 of 11 (6,842 Views)

★ Pro

If you can't figure out why you can run a dedicated server with ease for CS on a slow home computer and not Rivals, then I rest my case.

Message 8 of 11 (6,838 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

Sorry to miss this. 21 years in IT and indeed I don't know everything. 

No you can write this service how you want. It is still possible to host games/software like in CS. It does not matter how graphic intense or heavy on calculations it is. 

Especially if you are able to set system requirements like those of Rivals. Rivals is rendered and calculated locally just like any software that is not presented by a videostream and sending only the input commands. 

Seriously.. Teach me what I am missing here... 

Message 9 of 11 (6,835 Views)

★★★ Novice

Ok guys, so I fugured my problems with a friend were not because of a bad connection, but his slow FPS. He just stutters in the game world even having a better car that mine. I managed to find a guy on a pub server who had no lag, and we had quite a bit of fun for several hours. Still had to communicate through Origin, having no local chat is just stupid. 

And for you guys arguing about dedicated servers... We could AT LEAST have a menu that allows us to choose a region of the host to play, so that European players dont join in a game with Americans, Asians etc. I'm from Russia, and i played with a French guy just fine without any issue. Still no option to join a game as a party though. I think, if you want to play with other people you should have a lot of friends who play NFS, or just stalk pub games to find guys wanting to play together lol.

Message 10 of 11 (6,812 Views)