PC: NFS Rivals start screen hanging

by Wiceramar

Original Post

Accepted Solution

PC: NFS Rivals start screen hanging

★ Novice

I've just bought NFS Rival on Origin, and when I try to start the game the intro is shown and then a screen that says that I shall 'press Enter'. But nothing happens when I press Enter, or any other key on the keyboard. 

How can I solve this problem?

Message 1 of 29 (34,508 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: PC: NFS Rivals start screen hanging

★★ Novice

I just had to change the game to run in 32-bit in Origin options, did not need to do any modifications to the shortcut or the compatibility mode.  Runnin on Windows 10 64-bit.  Excellent solution.  Thanks.

View in thread

Message 17 of 29 (23,905 Views)

All Replies

[ Edited ]
Community Manager (retired)

@Wiceramar 

Some PC Need for Speed Rivals players have reported being stuck at a black screen when attempting to boot their game.

If you’ve been getting stuck at a black screen when trying to play Need for Speed Rivals, try out the following troubleshooting steps to get in the driver’s seat:

• Start your game, and one you reach the black screen, press Alt+Enter on your keyboard to toggle out of full screen into windowed mode.
    You should see a cinematic and be able to see your game in windowed mode, but be unable to affect your game with key-input.
  • Once you get through the introduction videos and have the option to hit Enter to start, press Alt+Enter again to be returned to the black game screen, and hit enter.
  • Now press Alt+Enter to go back to windowed mode to see your game in action and view the tutorial.
  • Any time you’re asked to perform a task or key-input, hit Alt+Enter to return to the black screen,  hit your needed key-input, then Alt+Enter back out to be able to see your game.
  • Once you’ve progressed through the tutorial and into the Training Mission, hit the Esc key to open your map.
  • Press the Page Up button on your keyboard and select PC Settings.
  • Set Fullscreen to OFF.

Once Fullscreen is set to off, your game should be able to run normally without the black screen, however it will be running in windowed mode. 

Message 2 of 29 (34,272 Views)

★★★ Newbie

@vw-dubbz wrote:

I've just bought NFS Rival on Origin, and when I try to start the game the intro is shown and then a screen that says that I shall 'press Enter'. But nothing happens when I press Enter, or any other key on the keyboard. 

How can I solve this problem?

I bought the game two weeks ago and have the same issue. There must be another way. Why is there no patch which solves this issue if it is known? We are talking here about EA. One of the biggest computer game producers in the world!?

Thanks.

Message 3 of 29 (34,181 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Hey

The suggestion given (ALT+Enter) doesn't work for me. I am still having same problem. Please help. 

@EA_Najat wrote:

@Wiceramar 

Some PC Need for Speed Rivals players have reported being stuck at a black screen when attempting to boot their game.

If you’ve been getting stuck at a black screen when trying to play Need for Speed Rivals, try out the following troubleshooting steps to get in the driver’s seat:

• Start your game, and one you reach the black screen, press Alt+Enter on your keyboard to toggle out of full screen into windowed mode.
    You should see a cinematic and be able to see your game in windowed mode, but be unable to affect your game with key-input.
  • Once you get through the introduction videos and have the option to hit Enter to start, press Alt+Enter again to be returned to the black game screen, and hit enter.
  • Now press Alt+Enter to go back to windowed mode to see your game in action and view the tutorial.
  • Any time you’re asked to perform a task or key-input, hit Alt+Enter to return to the black screen,  hit your needed key-input, then Alt+Enter back out to be able to see your game.
  • Once you’ve progressed through the tutorial and into the Training Mission, hit the Esc key to open your map.
  • Press the Page Up button on your keyboard and select PC Settings.
  • Set Fullscreen to OFF.

Once Fullscreen is set to off, your game should be able to run normally without the black screen, however it will be running in windowed mode. 

Message 4 of 29 (34,103 Views)

Champion (Retired)

I had this problem when trying to play on my Windows 10 Technical Build,

Please try to run NFSR as Admin and in Compatibility mode for Windows 8

1) Press Win + R

2) If on 64 bit paste this and hit enter - 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Need for Speed(TM) Rivals' If on 32 bit paste this and hit enter - 'C:\Program Files \Origin Games\Need for Speed(TM) Rivals'

3) Right click NFS14 then press properties

1.png

4) Select the Compatibility Tab

2.png

5) If it is not alrerady checked, check the 'Run this program in compatiblity mode for' box then select Windows 8 From the drop down. Then check the 'Run This Program As An Administrator' box.

3.png

6) Click Apply,

4.png

If that does not work try to run the game in 32-Bit

1) Open Origin

2) Press My Games

1.png

3) Hover your mouse over NFSR then click 'Need For Speed Rivals'

2.png

4) Next to Launch Option press 'Edit'

3.png

5) Set (x86) as the default launch option.

4.png

6) Press Okay

5.png

Message 5 of 29 (34,099 Views)

★★ Novice

i have the same problem too! start at home screen and press enter to no response!

Message 6 of 29 (33,453 Views)

★★ Novice

computer running windows 10 now, i ran it as admin with win 8 compatibility and im still facing this issue stuck at intro screen!!

Message 7 of 29 (33,452 Views)

★★ Novice

the alt-enter suggestion doesn't work for me too!!! )):

Message 8 of 29 (33,449 Views)

★★ Apprentice

Do you have any devices connected via usb? remove all usb devices that aren't needed and try running the game again. If a controller/device takes control I think it stops other devices from allowing inputs.

Message 9 of 29 (33,446 Views)

★ Novice

Have this problem also on Win10 Frown

Run as administrator and Win8 compatibility mode not working (I can get into game, but steering keys do not work)

This is the only game not working corrrectly on Win10 so far Frown

Message 10 of 29 (33,321 Views)