Re: Locked at 30 fps on PC

by svl7

Original Post

★★★ Newbie

Massively dissapointed. I am a PC gamer and spend extortionate amounts of money on hardware for a reason. That reason is not 30fps. Other racing games without this restriction feel better to play, plain and simple.

I was really hoping Next Gen consoles being closer to PC's in arcitecture would make for better Ports, but this is clear evidence that I am wrong and the developers just dont care about PC Gamers.

p.s Make cut-scenes skippable, thanks.

Message 21 of 66 (10,196 Views)

★ Guide

@eanajat wrote:

Hi guys, we would like to let you know that we have forwarded your comments to the Team regarding this topic. Also they have the following to say:

Running at 30 fps provides a smooth experience when driving in this open world powered by AllDrive.
We are listening and targeting 60 FPS in the future.

We don't have an ETA for this at the moment but we hope you find this info helpful.

If the developers will fix this issue I will consider buying it, but at the moment right now with the game at this current state I won't

Message 22 of 66 (10,194 Views)

★★★★★ Novice
I was thinking about some of the other comments about people refusing to buy it. I had pre ordered the boxed version from Amazon. I asked them if they would allow me to return it and they said it was fine even though the box was open and the code has been redeemed. I shipped my copy back to them today and I will not be paying money again until these issues are resolved. solidarity friends.
Message 23 of 66 (10,110 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

@okmaster92 wrote:

It is possible to run the game with 60 fps:

NFS14.exe -GameTime.MaxSimFps 60

The big problem: The game itself run twice as fast.Confusedmileysad:

On that topic....is it just me or does the game run slightly smoother (and with less tearing) if you unlock to 60 and then use Nvidia's half-adaptive (30) VSync in the control panel to force the game back to 30 and eliminate the double speed?

Only issue is that adaptive sync isn't perfect so often when racing along simple scenery in a straight line the camera lurches forward every few seconds as if you entered 60 FPS mode (the car/s keep moving at normal 30 FPS speed though and don't also lurch forward) and I'm not sure whether that has any effect on race times or whether it would be considered cheating and bannable for online play.

It's especially noticeable when racing through a tunnel which to me at least feels smoother and less jerky.

Message 24 of 66 (10,087 Views)

★★★ Novice

This thread is kind of amusing to me. Lots of people outraged by a game running at 30 FPS...For me, it's still very fun, but if you really have that big a hangup over FPS, oh well..

Message 25 of 66 (10,075 Views)

★★★ Novice

Also, they cannot patch this. They made the decision (mistake?) of tying the sim engine to the FPS. My advice is to relax and try the game for what it is.

Message 26 of 66 (10,074 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

My problem with this game is that it lags so badly with my laptop, Need For Speed The Run ran a lot better than this, even Need For Speed Most Wanted 2012. I am not too picky on the frames cap, I remember NFS The Run had a 30fps cap at first, but at least the game play was consistent - only one area where frame rate dropped.

Need For Speed: Rivals however, it lags for me everywhere, I tried reducing game settings to the lowest, that didn't do jack! Even on medium graphics, it is exactly the same!!

Really disappointed by Ghost and Criterion Games....I told my friends NOT to buy this game until it is fully repaired!!!

So far, the only thing I'm getting from "Next Gen" games do is use up a lot more resources and are poorly optimized Frown Frown

Message 27 of 66 (10,053 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Anyone claiming that a constant 30fps is okay for a racing game has certainly never seen the difference between 30 and 60fps:

http://www.pcgameshardware.de/F1-2013-PC-257655/Videos/Wieviel-Fps-braucht-der-Spieler-1092647/

This is a big disappointment, year 2013 and fps like back in 1995. That's just ridiculous and an insult to anyone with a half-way decent gaming rig at home.

Message 28 of 66 (10,026 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Apprentice

@eanajat wrote:

Hi guys, we would like to let you know that we have forwarded your comments to the Team regarding this topic. Also they have the following to say:

Running at 30 fps provides a smooth experience when driving in this open world powered by AllDrive.

Well that's nice. Or not. For people who have screens rendering at 60Hz which is twice the frame rate the game runs at it literally causes headaches and eyestrain from not syncing with the refresh rates.

Not only that but 60Hz is too low for some people who prefer 90/100/120/144/160Hz for their eyes to be comfortable. Having looked into this topic a lot I find that design decision absolutely awful.

If you watch the game on a 144Hz monitor forced to sync at 30FPS it feels like watching a slideshow with nothing even close to resembling a "smooth experience".

I think instead of targeting 60 FPS, you should adjust your design profile to disconnect FPS as a limit and look to have a low limit on average hardware of 60 FPS. The current method is totally ridiculous and every game that's had it in the last decade has been panned for it.

@giggaman1228 wrote:

This thread is kind of amusing to me. Lots of people outraged by a game running at 30 FPS...For me, it's still very fun, but if you really have that big a hangup over FPS, oh well..

Cool beans enjoy yourself, however while you can, others can't because of eyestrain, nausea and headaches induced by the low FPS. Hell I get that when I go to the cinema and watch it at 24-30 FPS for a movie. The hangup for some is more than just a few extra frames per second for performance reasons...

Message 29 of 66 (10,000 Views)

★★★ Newbie

@eanajat wrote:

We don't have an ETA for this at the moment but we hope you find this info helpful.

I hope they end up doing it.  I understand the want for parity with consoles, but when the PC has the option of a theoretical MUCH higher maximum performance, to lock at 30fps is a big damper on the desire to play the game.  

I own a 120hz monitor so I'm already fairly picky on the framerate end and was disappointed that NFS: Most Wanted was locked at 60 but it was still enjoyable and 60 offers a good experience for a fast racer.  I don't think that 30fps is unplayable for racers, but 60 is far preferred.  

As it stands, I have no plans to purchase Rivals because it's not a game I want to play at 30fps.  If it's unlocked to 60 (ideally any frame rate possible - like 120fps) it definitely is added into the pool of games I want to purchase.  

Message 30 of 66 (9,951 Views)