Why EA refuses to bring back classic style NFS?

by GK3512

Original Post

Re: Why EA refuses to bring back classic style NFS?

Community Manager

@GK3512 @BVBgamer88 @Luka0101998 

C'mon guys, play nice please, I do not want to lock threads.

barry.png
Message 11 of 18 (4,520 Views)

★★★★ Pro
@GK3512 High Stakes intro showed EA mocked on Ricer/Tuner with the stalled Civic. And now Custom as the core of NFS is just a pure joke
Message 12 of 18 (1,616 Views)

★ Novice

If you're going to argue about how the NFS franchise is changing, then stop playing it and find something else.

Because there aren't, and I mean, aren't going to change anything, as the game is mainly directed towards teens/young adults, interested in the car culture, and it could fade away if the NFSMW2012 mistake were to happen again, as that game was responsible for NFS almost losing all of its popularity and fading away if it hadn't been corrected, and FYI, the NFS franchise has only made arcade racing games since 2003, featuring customization, tuning, etc in almost every game since then, so there isn't a change bound to happen anytime soon.

Yes, NFS is an arcade racing game, but it is not a quote-unquote " realistic racing game for males in their 30s to 40s, who can't respect other's tastes, and will throw a temper tantrum when it doesn't go their way."

Now, it is EA (and the studio responsible for developing NFS) who decides what cars, features and types of races, that is going to be added to the game, and not you. NFS will and is most likely stay as an arcade racing game WITH customization for the years it continues to release games.

So, if you don't like the option of customization, then fine, I can respect that, but at least show some respect for the developers pouring countless of hours of their lives, developing a game for people to enjoy! How would you like it if you had to develop a game all by YOURSELF, without any instructions at all?

Not so easy right? You can love a franchise for how it was, but you don't have to hate it for what it has become, because it is the company owning the rights to it, who decides what is yet to come.

Yes, people might be disappointed with how GHOST and Criterion developed their games, as they had 2 years (from when a game that had been released) to develop a game and release it, only for it to be unsuccessful.

The reason the NFS franchise is popular and famous today was all due to the amazing EA Black Box team, who managed to develop and release a game, just from having released a game just a year prior, which is surprising in my opinion.

(The games made by BlackBox, that I am referring to is, of course, NFSU, NFSU2, NFSMW, because they all featured customization, tuning, visual customization and an amazing storyline that engaged you to continue playing and finish the game.)

Message 13 of 18 (1,496 Views)

★★★★ Guide

@notredfield

I completely agree, and you've set out some amazing ideas there! 👍

Although what I would like to point out is that if we don't tell the developers how we feel, and give them feedback, NFS as a franchise will not go in the right direction. What the developers think NFS is and what players think NFS is evidently very different, just take their view on bringing back characters. The past installments over a decade and the "NFS identity crisis" are evidence that they are different.

When we don't enjoy their handling models or in-game mechanics such as shipments (lootbox scandal of Payback) or damage bars in my case, we need to come together as a community to say what we want. We need to tell the developers what we want since ultimately control is in the hands of the player and consumer. That's where money and EA comes into it unfortunately...

All I'm saying is that we need some criticism and feedback in order to hold the developers to account for their mistakes, to correct or learn from a game's design flaws, or to lay out how we want to see NFS improve in the future.

Message 14 of 18 (1,390 Views)

★★★★ Pro
@notredfield First HP2010 was a NFS after 2003 without custom feature.Second Shift series in 2009/2011 arent pure arcade racing games.Third it's 10 YEARS since HP2010 let series return to real root.
Amazing Black Box made Undercover/Pro Street/The Run.All dissapointing games back in the days and arent successful in sales.Remember EA let Black Box takes over NFS ONLY because they did an ace job in making HOT PURSUIT 2 PS2 version.That's a game WITHOUT CUSTOM or STORY.The reason NFS is famous in the first place was NFSIII HP in 1998,that's the first sales success and game of the year for the series.
Back in Blackbox days of MW/UG neither got the award because Burnout did the arcade fun style better.Yes they never outsell NFS,but that's mainly because Burnout wasnt on PC until Paradise.
NFS is going a direction of self denial by dropping the Cannonball style of 1990s(THE REAL ROOT) and go for Fast Furious Ricer/Chav style of early 2000s(Succeeded because of the films)
Also let's not forget before UG1 there was Midnight Club sereis focused on Story/Custom/Street Races.After the rushed but not bad MCLA/Remix the devs for the series went away from racing games and left studio.It's a perfect example of Tuning is becoming outdated.
However a HP style NFS will have intense cop chase,newest cars(which wont be outdated when the game is out),challenging mountain roads with natural scenery.All of these are what ORIGINAL NFS is about.
Finally,HP1 was the first successful NFS in PS1 era.HP2 was the beginning of PS2 era with award.HP2010 was the first awarded PS3 era NFS.And the rushed buggy Rivals(HP4) was the first awarded PS4 era NFS.It's reasonable to let HP style return for a NEXT GEN(PS5) NFS.Since that's what fake Criterion is doing(or recruiting devs for)
Also HP2010 outsold every Blackbox NFS since Carbon and every NFS this gen by Ghost.That's what matters in the end in the eye of EA-Money.
Message 15 of 18 (1,373 Views)

★ Novice

But it is EA to blame for the later incidents with BlackBox, as they put a lot of pressure on the team and had impossible deadlines. If EA hadn't rushed BlackBox, maybe it would still be here today, same thing goes with Criterion as NFSMW2012 was supposed to be a direct sequel to NFSMW05, but due to EA rushing Criterion, it never happened.

Also, don't forget that the record holder for best selling NFS game was not made by Criterion, not Ghost, but BlackBox Games.

The game featured an amazing STORY and had similar features to the Underground series.

This goes to show the majority of people don't want a game with a supercars, only on a road, with no missions or a story to urge you to keep going, it would flop if it was released, simply put.

We shouldn't and I mean, shouldn't consider returning back to the old features because of “nostalgia” because those days are over, and doing so could have serious backlash, maybe worse than the current backlash they're dealing with now. 

Simply put, cherish the memories, but live for now, because the past is in the past.

Message 16 of 18 (1,362 Views)

★★★★ Pro
@notredfield Again BB NFS sold well because of the timing.2003-05 was the time for first 2 Fast Furious movies which focused on street cars.All street themed NFS made by Ghost during its full control of 2015-2019 aren't as successful as BB era.Because it's a style of its time.Only during mid-2000s such thing is popular.Hence why most tuner cars are made before 2010.(The Run and Payback did the action movie style of current FF films but failed badly)
However just like all 3 HP games showed in the past.With newer cars HP style can still survive and performs well in sales chart.Since all next gen console NFS start with a HP style game.Maybe this time it will still be a HP style game.It's a safe choice.
Message 17 of 18 (1,347 Views)

★ Novice

NFS Rivals was made in a HP style, but it almost ran NFS into the ground. I don't really agree that the HP style would work.

Message 18 of 18 (1,313 Views)