Reflection and global illumination in Fortune Valley world trailer

by CM_dnegative

Original Post

Reflection and global illumination in Fortune Valley world trailer

[ Edited ]
★★★ Apprentice

Fortune Valley world trailer is so amazing.The map of Fortune Valley reminds me to the map of Undercover with separated zones and highway connections.I believe the world of Payback will be the best in NFS history.The trailer clearly have clips from different build version of NFS Payback.
Some clips maybe from pre-render sequences.For example,the left car can project other vehicles into reflection.

Welcome to Fortune Valley_113623.455.jpg

Some clips have film grain and others don't.

Welcome to Fortune Valley_101539.653.jpg

Some clips have much better reflection and global illumination.

Welcome to Fortune Valley_121003.955.jpg

Welcome to Fortune Valley_120751.972.jpg

Some clips's lighting and reflection are just slightly better than Need for Speed Rivals.In some cases, the lighting is very flat and the reflection of the car looks like plastic.But the car wraps and tree leaves texture are clear and sharp.Unlike Need for Speed 2015,everything will blur if TAA is turned on.

Welcome to Fortune Valley_101514.552.jpg

Welcome to Fortune Valley_101859.323.jpg

Welcome to Fortune Valley_102102.809.jpg

The lighting and reflection are very good in earlier cop chase gameplay.The lighting reminds me to Need for Speed Hot Pursuit 2010 CG sequences.

BMW M5 & BMW X6 M Gameplay_134508.738.jpg

BMW M5 & BMW X6 M Gameplay_134540.683.jpg

The feeling to me is that the developers have compromised between the lighting and the texture.Reflection and global illumination are downgraded,but textures are enhanced.We will get a less blurry image.The overall graphics quality will more 'Forza Horizon vibes' than 'DriveClub vibes'.

It would be a pity if the reflection and global illumination was downgraded even in ultra high graphics quality.Other racing games don't have such good reflection and global illumination except DriveClub.After all, Need for Speed is a open world driving game,it needs to compromise in many aspects. I fully understand the developers' difficulties.Maybe we will get both of them in the next NFS.

Message 1 of 5 (934 Views)

Re: Reflection and global illumination in Fortune Valley world trailer

★ Guide

You do know that game developers allways downgrade theire games , They show the game off at its best light in E3 & Gamescom and then they downgrade the game so our loved PC's & Consoles could run it without melting , Let alone the cars paint changes reflection , Matt paint will eat reflections while metallic paint will show reflections really good. Hope this helps

Message 2 of 5 (888 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Apprentice

Matt paint or metallic paint on the car body is not the point.The point is that the global illumination algorithm in recent clips is different from earlier screenshots.The recent clips uses an algorithm that is simpler but saves hardware resources.Take the Land Rover Defender 110 picture as an example, the first picture's algorithm simulates the scattering of the atmosphere and can sense the presence of air. Global illumination is used to simulate indirect lighting, making color and shadow changes more natural.The second picture, like many other games, such as Forza Horizon 3 and Watch dogs 2, are too 'clean' to be realistic.

nfsp-world-landmark-solar-project-2x.jpg

Welcome to Fortune Valley.081.jpg

Global illumination can make shadows,ambient occlusion and colors more realistic.Take the Derelicts for example. Although the body is rusty and has little reflections, its color and shadow blend better with the surroundings.

Need-for-Speed-Beetle-Resurrection.jpg

One more thing is that the elements of reflection are less. In the earlier version, the body reflected clouds.

Need_for_Speed_Payback_Official.851.jpg

Welcome to Fortune Valley.453.jpg

In general, the wild environment graphics quality is similar to the Forza Horizon 3.However, the city graphics quality in NFS Payback is better than Forza Horizon 3.The last question is how much of the image is enhanced in the photo mode?If you take Need for Speed 2015 for example, the photo mode does not provide much image enhancement.Other games, such as Gran Turismo and Forza, image quality in the photo mode can be greatly improved, such as better anti-aliasing, high resolution texture map, more detailed shadow filtering, and so on.

Message 3 of 5 (864 Views)

★ Guide

I think you will need to bump up your graphic setting to the max and then take a picture as i dont think there will be any photo mode enhancements..

Message 4 of 5 (852 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

In photo mode, the image is enhanced by sharpen filter.This gives you a clearer texture effect,such as the texture of the iron fence and the poles below.

0004a.jpg

But in photo mode, the lighting is downgraded.The scattering effects have been removed.As shown in the following picture, the scattering effect of the street light gives the world a slightly pink tone.

0005a.jpg

0006a.jpg

Message 5 of 5 (833 Views)