Re: My Issues With Online Speedlists and How to Improve Them

by coolfonix

Original Post

My Issues With Online Speedlists and How to Improve Them

★★★★ Apprentice

Online speedlists are seriously lacking. There are some pretty nasty bugs and some awful design decisions. I’ve done 250+ speedlists since release and I’m currently at Level 6 (Joy Rider 2) on Xbox, so I’ve picked up on quite a few things that need to be fixed/improved. I don’t want the game to die as I believe it has potential, so here are my issues/suggestions to make online speedlists better.

Checkpoint glitch

There is an awful checkpoint glitch that happens very often. You pass through a checkpoint, but the game doesn’t count it. This quite literally causes you to get last place in most cases because you usually won’t notice until you’re maybe 700 yards away. Turning around is impractical. This should be priority #1 as it is game breaking and ruins your race completely.

Ranked Speedlist Quitting

On the loading screen for a race there is a tip that says quitting ranked speedlists will hurt your rank. That’s a lie. It doesn’t. If you leave a ranked speedlist it does not hurt your rank and it does not affect your stats. That needs to be fixed because I know some people that are quitting their way to the top.

Unrealistic Ranking System

The ranking system is ridiculous. For those of you unaware, your rank is updated after each individual race. This is why you can win 4 out of 5 races in a speedlist, get second in one race and go down in rank at the end of a speedlist. It’s harsh and absurd because this happens even when you are only Level 3 (Sunday Driver 2). There are 16 levels overall. As it stands now, getting even remotely close to max rank is impossible. I’m barely (like one point from losing it) into Level 6 and I get 5 points for beating a Level 4 in a race, but I lose 15 points for second in one race. Keep in mind that I don’t see too many people at level 4 and above. Even Level 3’s don’t pop up too often. There is no way I will make it to Level 7 at this rate without quitting every other speedlist which is just stupid at that point. The penalty for getting second in one race is too harsh. Your rank should absolutely be determined based on your final speedlist standings.

The Koenigsegg Regera

Let me be clear. I don’t think the Regera is a good car outside of some key races like Engine Warmer and Cruise Control. I only know one person that can use the Regera exceptionally well and he is level 6 as well. Everyone else I have seen is straight trash with it. In spite of that, my complaints with it primarily come because of the reasons listed in the last section. When Sunday Driver 1 Regera kids get their one time lucky break in a speedlist with an easy race like Engine Warmer, they mess up my rank because I will more than likely get 2nd since my car’s top end can’t compete with it. It’s so fast to the point to where bad players can get the drop on you without too much effort. I don’t expect this car to be nerfed as I’m sure plenty of lawsuits will come about from Koenigsegg if that happens. Instead, I have a few other ideas on how to alleviate the issue of the Regera beating down slower cars on drop dead easy races.

1. Let us change our car before each race in a speedlist. If I see Engine Warmer come up, then let me pull out my Regera as well. That will even the playing field.
  2. Buff the other cars. Most cars that can reach Level 399 top out between 230-235mph. Raise that to 250-255mph. Most tuned Regera’s hit about 260-265 mph. I have seen some even hit 270 mph, but that requires perfect speed cards which most people don’t have, so I’ll consider that as an edge case. The gap is still there in terms of top speed as I don’t think it makes sense to make any of the current cars faster than a Regera (again lawsuits), but the gap will be significantly smaller. I think that can definitely change the game to the point to where bad/decent Regera players can’t easily catch up towards the middle/end of the race like they do now.
  3. Ban the Regera from Ranked. That’s certainly the least likely of my suggestions to happen, but if it does happen, then I won’t complain.

Collisions

At the start of a race there should be no collision detection between players for a short amount of time. Maybe 15 seconds? I can’t tell you how many times I’ve been spun out, taken down, knocked off a cliff or forced to miss a checkpoint at the beginning of a race because of people in front of me. It’s extremely frustrating especially when it’s bad players who DNF every race that get in your way with their Level 176 Honda S2000. Like please, just go back to Campaign. You don’t know how to drive and you’re in the way.

Matchmaking

I’m not sure if it’s because no one is ranked high or the matchmaking system is truly awful or both, but I don’t get paired with people at my rank. I don’t expect full lobbies of Level 6’s at this point, but I do expect to be paired with Level 4’s at least and maybe some Level 3’s here and there. Not Student Drivers and Sunday Driver 1’s.  My earlier point about the unrealistic ranking system may be a big factor into this complaint, but I just want to throw it out there that I don’t get paired with high ranks that often. I would put this at a lower priority as I believe if the things I listed above are fixed then this issue should be alleviated to a large extent.

Change Cars in Lobby

We should be able to change our cars in a lobby for obvious reasons. It’s extremely inconvenient to have to leave the entire lobby to change your car.

Event Variety

There should be Drag, Drift and Runner events online. There’s no excuse for not having those events online in some capacity.

Wrap Glitch

This does not affect my racing, but it pisses me off every time. I worked hard on some of my wraps, but I can’t see them online. Fix that ASAP.

Loading Times When Joining and Leaving Lobbies

They have improved since the last patch, but it’s still slow. Keep optimizing that.

That’s all I’ve got for now anyway. I think there are other issues, but these are the biggest ones imo for now. Upvote this if you agree so EA can see it. If I missed anything then PLEASE let me know.

Message 1 of 8 (797 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice

I didn't mention online free roam because there are tons of threads on that. I want to focus on other issues besides that obvious one

Message 2 of 8 (788 Views)

★★★★ Novice

1. Ranking point system.

I agree 100%, i'm level 4 and it is hard to get points because i often lose them even if i'm second. and there s a lot of people who like to crash you on purpose. on ps4 there is also too many players disconecting when they're not winning with 70%+ winning percentages... i'm also starting to consider disconecting at start of those easy regara races like engine rush. Also i like it that you lose points when you lose, butwe shouldn' lose that many of them.. i liked system from NFS UNDERGROUND 10% of opponents point's for 1st place, 0 points for second. losing 5% of your points for 3rd place and 10% for 4th place. 

2. TRAFFIC

It's cool there is no traffic at night anymore, my winning % went up since it changed. but still there is traffic at daylight..... which often get me frustrated... because of that i like offroad races more than any other. there is no unfair crashes like when there appears traffic car and there is nowhere to run..

3. ONLINE LEADERBOARD 

I don't understand why there is no any online ranking leaderboard to see how many online players are higher than you... that's the weirdest thing that you didn't do. the same problem is in speedwalls so you can't check what is current world record on tracks, and what # is your time is in the world.

4. CHOSING speedlists modes

i don't know what other players prefer but for me it would be better if there was seperate speedlist for each category like race, offroad, and drift, and drag as well if it appears. i like offroad the best because of no traffic and no frustrations thanks to that, but other players vote races or drift so it is rare to play it. also i won't like drift so i would like to pick what category i would like to play online.

5. PLAYING PRIVATE GAMES

There should be a possibility to create private game. How to organise some e-sport league if you can't race with people of your choice?

Message 3 of 8 (703 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Apprentice

Great posts, and some well thought out solutions and good points too. It makes a change for someone to actually take the time to suggest how to improve things rather than just the "it's broken, fix it now" kind of post Standard smile 

Message 4 of 8 (700 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

Chepoint Glitch:

i always thought its my internet ? cause most of the times i had laggs because of a download or something.

Ranked Speedlist Quitting:

If its true it really should be fixed, otherwise its just stupid, or at least let you only quit once in a while lets say 1x every 1,2,3 hours.. so this would save you when you really lose conection for example.

For the Regera:

for me as a Regera Driver i can mostly catch up with good drivers in a rsr 2.8 on a technical track so i don't think its a bad car on these, its just harder to handle.

For high Speed Tracks i do agree its quite unfair but on the other hand the rsr 2.8 is superior on technical tracks so if you theoreticly nerf the regeras top speed its ruining its point like if you would ruin the handling of the rsr2.8 for example.

changing the car for each race would be a great way imo.

collisions:

oh those nasty things, i would go even further tbh in "the crew" there were races where you had no collision the whole race, in a ranked system it would make so so much sense to turn this sh*t up the whole time, why ? whats the point if you win if you only do because you crashed someone ? does this make you are a better driver ? no, this isn't auto scooter.

especially in ranked speedlist, in real life if you crash another player you would be disqualified for doing so.. in casual speedlists it sucks too but thats another thing than ranked.

Message 5 of 8 (668 Views)

★★★★ Novice

LOL this disconect problem is sick... i have just started ranked speedlist with 2 unranked players and 5 other players levels (5 and 6 level and 70% of winnings) and guess what ??  only me and those 2 unranked players have finished the race, and ofcourse i did get 0 points for winning this race... this is too sick

Message 6 of 8 (602 Views)

★ Novice
I find being online from nz there is never enough racers to start a speedlist. Why do we need 6 racers just to start a race
Message 7 of 8 (508 Views)

★ Apprentice
You need 3 ppl (including yourself) in casual, 4 players in ranked.
Message 8 of 8 (487 Views)