Help us improve Answers HQ! Take Survey No, Thanks

Concerns about the liberty walk brand logo in NFS payback

by CM_dnegative

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Concerns about the liberty walk brand logo in NFS payback

★★★ Apprentice
(Before I send this post, I suddenly found that someone has mentioned the problem in this forum)
Dear Ghost games,

I recently watched some Need for Speed Payback gameplay videos. The gameplay is fantastic and explosive.
But I notice there is a liberty walk brand poster on the wall of garage(From the car customization video).
Liberty walk is a famous body kits brand and manufacturer. I have no hatred for the brand.But I am really angry with its rising sun flag logo.
In the eyes of many people, the rising sun flag is nothing but offensive, reminding them of Japan's colonialism and wartime atrocities.The military's rising sun flag accompanied the troops as they waged destruction. The flag was also carried by soldiers and was raised when enemy territories fell to the Japanese forces.

For example, when the Chinese city of Nanjing fell to the Japanese forces in Dec. 1937, these flags were raised above the walls of the city, on buildings, and on street corners as Japanese soldiers committed murder and * on a scale that has become a symbol of Japan's wartime atrocity, and a subject of controversy ever since.

Despite its military use, until recently, the rising sun flag was largely associated in the public mind with right-wing extremists who blatantly claim that the “Greater East Asian War,” the official name of World War II prior to Japan's defeat, was a “sacred war.”There are recent phenomena to utilize the symbol in fashion although it is still considered extremely offensive in countries of former Japanese imperialism as it reminds Japan's former war crimes.

In the West, symbols or banners that relate back to Nazi Germany are subjects of concerns and sanctions.Unfortunately, many western people don't know the terrible facts behind the rising sun flag.In China and South Korea,the rising sun flag is strictly forbidden by law. Asian countries take strong concerns at public display of any symbol that reminds of Japan's imperialism such as rising-sun flag. As an example, Japanese supporters were warned by the Olympics committee for waving rising-sun flags at a football match during the Beijing Olympics. Olympics  committee clearly stated that "flags and banners of a political, ethnic, or religious nature are banned at Olympic venues", affirming the inappropriate nature of the flag with the racial and political undertones.

Any symbol that reminds of political, ethnic, or religious nature must not appear in the game. EA and Ghost games must obey these rules.
For example, I suggest using the following logos instead of the logos above.

There is another issue with Need for Speed website.In the country tab, Taiwan and China are arranged in parallel.
According the United Nations general assembly resolution 2758,Taiwan is not a country. Taiwan is a part of China.
You should follow the format below to make changes:
Taiwan → Taiwan,China
China → China Mainland

I sent Ghost games an e-mail a week ago to inform this issue.But I haven't got any reply yet.
I do not know if they will fix this error.I hope you guys will fix the issue in the upcoming gamescom presentation.

Thank you.
Message 1 of 17 (4,101 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Concerns about the liberty walk brand logo in NFS payback

EA DICE Team

Hey all,

The art in question is one of the Japanese manufacturer, Liberty Walk’s, official logotypes. It was put in the game by our world artists as placeholder and will not be in the final game. 

Apologies if this caused any offense, rest assured this was not the intent. 

- Ben

View in thread

Message 9 of 17 (4,989 Views)

All Replies

★★★ Apprentice

I know it's not suitable for political posts here.But I send Ghost games an e-mail a few days ago.I haven't got any reply yet.

I don't know whether developers know the problem.Many Westerners do not know the cultural issues associated with the flag.

Dear community manager,you may locked this thread.But please inform the developers that they did make a mistake.

I've noticed that someone mentioned the rising sun flag in need for speed on the Chinese social media. Not so many people have watched the customization video, so it hasn't led to much criticism. This is likely to cause huge criticism on Chinese social media if Ghost games do not change the liberty walk brand logo in the final product. And in the Chinese market, the credibility of NFS brand will suffer fatal harm.

Message 2 of 17 (4,085 Views)

★★★ Guide

Can anybody study history and see that this logo exists LONG BEFORE WW2 ???

Message 3 of 17 (4,063 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

Some people say that this symbol has long existed.

But with the progress of history, the meaning of many symbols has changed.

In World War II, this flag was regarded as a symbol of Japanese imperialism in Asian countries.

There are still many Japanese right-wing extremists who see it as a "sacred war" sign.

Until now, the rising sun flag has been banned by many international organizations in public displays.

This is the latest news about the rising sun flag being banned.

Japanese club disciplined over war-time flag in South Korea

https://apnews.com/6d2303030fc84627bac7e2c9e356954e

AFC charges Kawasaki Frontale with discrimination after fans raise rising sun flag during Champions League match in South Korea.

I just want to say to EA, as long as it is for the educated Chinese and Koreans, it's very uncomfortable to see the sign.

Ghost games have a good collaboration relationship with EA Shanghai. EA Shanghai have worked on Need for Speed Rivals and Need for Speed 2015.EA Korean has also developed the Need for Speed Edge.

If the Need for Speed to put this logo into the game, it would be a great humiliation for both of them.

Indeed, this is not the place to discuss political issues.

So I do not want to discuss the complex historical and cultural origins behind this.

I suggest that EA consult with historians and sociologists to make a decision.

I'm just an individual fan and have no influence on their decisions.

EA is an international company and I think they will make the right decision.

Message 4 of 17 (4,047 Views)

★ Guide

Thank you and where were they offended by many of the Japanese war flag in many of previous versions. Being offended.has know turn into a competition where everybody wants a trophy please stop.

Message 5 of 17 (4,013 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

I am sorry that no one sees it as a trophy!

I was born after the WWII, but I'm not blind to the scars it left on my country. 

There are still old victims in China and Korea.  It's more to do with the fact that certain Japanese textbook and extreme right wingers deny the horrific actions they did in WWII.

In that sense, that's why the rising sun flag hits a lot of nerves for Chinese and Koreans. This is about the basic conscience.

Using the rising sun flag to use it as an aesthetic without purpose is wrong. Using it because it fits the theme, that's just how it should be done.

Here is a report from Washington post:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2015/06/27/japan-has-a-flag-problem-too/?utm_term=...

"Unquestionably, in China and Korea, the use of those flags remains very controversial, as they are associated with Japanese imperialism and specifically with the invasion of China and colonial rule in Korea," Dan Sneider, associate director at Stanford University's Walter H. Shorenstein Asia-Pacific Research Center, explains in an e-mail. "Japanese were warned not to use the flag during the Olympics in Beijing, for example. I recall being told that one of the obstacles (though not the only one) to Japanese naval vessels making port calls in Korea is the flying of the Rising Sun flag."

In the United States or Europe, the controversy surrounding the Rising Sun flag is little known. Sometimes, the flag is even co-opted by Westerners as a kitsch symbol of Japan: In one recent example, British rock band Muse prominently used the flag during a rock video shot in Japan. Internet users in Asia were incensed.

(Muse apologized on Twitter and released a new version of the video, with the Rising Sun imagery edited out.)

"To the people who can't understand why some are mad, I guess you can compare the Rising Sun flag with the Confederate flag," one commentator on YouTube explained. "Some people can go on and on about how the Confederate flag is a symbol of Southern heritage, but come on now, you know that's not what people associate it with. Same with the Rising Sun flag. Both are rife with controversy and history."

Message 6 of 17 (4,001 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

Angry about a flag but not the action sounds stupid. Most people aren't worried about that flag than the Confederate flag and Nazi flag because those two have shameful past but people use to wear Che Guerra shrit and weren't offended. If you mad till you find out many games use it before payback. As of now this topic is dead

Message 7 of 17 (3,982 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

Mr jdavidtr0up,I don't care about what you think is stupid.

I only care if EA and Ghost Games realize the mistake and correct it.

The whole argument of "angry about a flag but not the action" just sounds like a churlish refrain from people who don't bother actually learning about a culture's past.I have listed the facts and logic to illustrate the relationship between the flag and Japanese imperialism, and the sociologist's point of view.

Maybe the rising sun flag itself being used as a stylistic logo without purpose, but it's the No.1 flag choice for Japanese right-wing extremists. And this doesn't mean that the flag doesn't represent Japanese imperialism.There might be a few people who fly the rising sun flag and aren't right-wing extremists.They are definitely not the majority.

There is a reason Americans nationally don't recognize the confederate flag, there is a reason Germany forever banned the swastika...part of the "moving on process" is to put down those symbols that were used because they themselves are antagonizing.

If Muse had released a music video in Germany featuring a swastika they could have been arrested.

"Swastika is much cooler than Germany's stripes flag so they should keep it."
That sounds silly. Everyone in Europe knows what the Nazi Germany did during WWII.

Westerners often misuse this rising sun flag symbol,because in the west they don't know about all sides of WWII history.

If they did, this (the liberty walk brand poster) wouldn't even happened in the first place.

If Muse didn't do anything wrong with the music video, why did he apologize on twitter and re-create video with the Rising Sun logo edited out?

Some of the previous game have this logo, doesn't mean that Need for Speed Payback will continue this mistake.
If EA don't correct it, then the next Need for Speed game is still possible to make the same mistake.

Mistakes forgotten are the mistakes of the future.As long as EA have not corrected the mistake, then the discussion of rising sun flag will always exist.

Message 8 of 17 (3,962 Views)

EA DICE Team

Hey all,

The art in question is one of the Japanese manufacturer, Liberty Walk’s, official logotypes. It was put in the game by our world artists as placeholder and will not be in the final game. 

Apologies if this caused any offense, rest assured this was not the intent. 

- Ben

Message 9 of 17 (4,990 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Guide

Seriously.

Man,this is so stupid it could not be any worse.

I understand that people are sensitive and get upset by these things but there are hundreds of games using that red sun and now after a long time someone decides that its offensive and it gets removed.

What the actual **** ?  

I remember and you guys do it too when Pewdiepie released that video about jews and when he tried to be funny but he wasn`t.He was insulting the world`s jewish community.

That got me very upset when it happened because it is ****ed up saying something like its a joke,millions of people died and were tortured because someone decided that they are not here to live and exist,not just them-every single one of us.

That is something that needs to be handled the way it should have been but it wasn`t and look,that guy is still popular.Go shut his account and popularity down not removing something that is present all the time.

If i offended anyone with this and i hope i did not,i apologize.

Let`s just be a normal racing game community and talk about Need for Speed`s future. Sick

Ben,please close this tread.

Message 10 of 17 (3,925 Views)
Twitter Stream