Best NFS Payback Anti-Aliasing settings?

by Babyalien1

Original Post

Best NFS Payback Anti-Aliasing settings?

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

I have an Intel i7 6700K and a GTX 1070 so play NFS Payback at x2.25 DSR (4K resolution 3840 x 2160). I'm part of a gaming photography group and take a a lot of screenshots, so the very best image quality is paramount for me. The question is what AA settings are best for Payback to get the smoothest lines (minimal jaggies) and best reflections? 

I'm currently using TAA set in-game with the attached Nvidia Control panel settings but some noticeable jaggies are still present, hopefully shown in the Mustang screenshot attached when viewed in full screen. Can I get better than this and if so what settings are worth using? I've tried various combinations but I'm yet to find the best AA setup, though my knowledge of AA is basic at best so hopefully you guys can help.

Message 1 of 5 (8,156 Views)

Re: Best NFS Payback Anti-Aliasing settings?

Community Manager

@Babyalien1

Hey, do you know about Ansel from NVIDIA? It may be the solution for high quality screenshots (via Super Resolution):

https://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/ansel-revolutionizing-game-screenshots

barry.png
Message 2 of 5 (8,125 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice
Thanks for the Ansel suggestion. I have used it before and it is good, but it only works with a limited selection of games but NFS Payback isn't one of them unfortunately. Ansel mainly improves on the resolution and colours, thus giving you an image of up to 8K quality. The resolution of my images using Nvidia Shadowplay at 4K is fine in terms of the resolution, but the aliasing is ruining the final image by showing jaggies in a areas which detracts from the overall quality.
Message 3 of 5 (8,109 Views)

★★ Pro

@Babyalien1

Im as OCD as can be with video and audio quality so maybe some of my settings / suggestions can help.

First i always turn most things off in the Nvidia control panel. I use a Dell U3014 monitor and i prefer to use it and a detailed calibration to get full correct RGB color space. As well all effects in game are pure from the source with out the driver interfering with the info sent by turning most off. Then I am able to use 10 bit color setting in the Nvidia control panel to so i do as for me it insure that I am sending 100 % of the video info to my monitor. Most games are not 10 bit color per say but if it is available in the control panel then I highly recommend to use it. It certainly isn't going to hurt the image any so why not right.

Here is my Nvidia CP settings .

Desktop_2018_03_06_18_42_19_825.jpg

Desktop_2018_03_06_18_42_23_914.jpg

In game i have everything maxed out minus AO and I am using TAA. I also highly recommend using Reshade. It will enable you to tweak and adjust the games look , cure your edge issue and all. It isn't supported here but there is the Reshade forum were there is tons of helpful people and you can down load the tool. I use currently these setting in my reshade preset but am contently tweaking them .

Oh as well use HBAO in game . I did a test using all the AO in game and HBAO is the best for visual. It applies proper shadowing under objects and gives a more realistic look IMHO. I did 2 shots of the AO in game

this is HBAO on .

then with full AAO on.

You can see clearly around the grass and other areas the HBAO gives a darker shadow effect under them verses the full AAO. With AO maxed it takes away from the shadows under objects . I dont prefer it and it gives one a few extra FPS to.

Anyways with my Nvidia settings, in game settings , Reshade preset and my native 2560x1600 resolution my BMP file screen shots and game look like this.

At 4k what tiny bit of jaggies there is in my shot will be long gone at your resolution. Hope this helps a little my friend . Standard smile

Message 4 of 5 (8,100 Views)

Community Manager

Thanks @master2g

@Babyalien1 Are you using the images at 4K? If you downsample them correctly you will get another level of MSAA effectively.

barry.png
Message 5 of 5 (8,079 Views)