Problem with controls

by akstap

Original Post

Problem with controls

★ Newbie

I am using PC version of the new NFS most wanted. I mistakenly set 'S' key for both 'drive' and 'menu down'. As a result I can net change settings of the controller. I can not select the controller options as I come back to drive mode. I reinstalled MW but doesn't help. Please tell me a way of setting controls to default mode without entering the menu. 

TIA

Message 1 of 21 (42,483 Views)

Re: Problem with controls

★★★ Novice

If you deleted your save data (you might have to also reinstall the game again - not sure how it will react) it will definitely undo any control glitches you've created.  The default save data location is (Your User Folder)\Documents\Criterion Games\Need For Speed(TM) Most Wanted.  Delete the contents of that folder and the game will have to re-create everything from scratch.  Again, there's a chance you may have to reinstall the game because it may get upset that you deleted this but it will definitely work if nothing else does.  I'd think of it as a last-resport option.

Message 2 of 21 (42,314 Views)

★★ Apprentice

The save data and controller configs are stored as different files, so you shouldn't need to uninstall the game or lose save data.

As pointed out in the previous post, you will need to delete a file stored in your documents, but you should only need to remove the file named "config.NFS13save"

Message 3 of 21 (42,283 Views)

★ Guide

It would be great if there was an option right there in the controller configuration screen to "reset to default" to make it easier when we mess up a controller assignment. But hey, I'm just glad my old CH 2 Axis 5 Button joystick works and I can customize the controls just like Hot Pusuit 2010 and Burnout Paradise. Thank you so very much to everyone at Criterion for that!

Message 4 of 21 (42,276 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Apprentice

@CriterionQA01 wrote:

The save data and controller configs are stored as different files, so you shouldn't need to uninstall the game or lose save data.

As pointed out in the previous post, you will need to delete a file stored in your documents, but you should only need to remove the file named "config.NFS13save"

Can you tell me how that works for PS3 please? I am having the exact same issue as the OP.

Message 5 of 21 (42,118 Views)

★★ Novice

I found a different solution I hope you didn't close this post. All you need to do is manually change the config.NSFsave1 file. In the previously mentioned location (I may have the file name wrong, it's the same one mentions. Open the file in notepad making sure to unchecked the option to always open this file with.. Blah blah. Scroll down to the section on keyboard settings. Change the setting back to defaults by typing in or changing the keys as thus. Where it says blah blah.. KEY_BLAH_BUTTON TO PRESS.replace it with the button you want. For example, to use A for acceleration. Look for the word acceleration in that section and replace for example scroll down to the word acceleration  and change KEY_S with KEY_A it must be all caps with the underscore. As you look at the settings there are some exceptions that you will have to copy. Some exceptions are

For L or R control type in KEY_LCTRL or KEY_RCTRL respectively (if that doesn't work as I may have forgotten try spelling out the word CONTROL but leave the L or R part.) do the same for L or R shift and change it to

(I'm positive on this one) KEY_LSHIFT or KEY_RSHIFT

I didn't check the syntax for other controls because those are the only ones I messed up so it may take some experimenting. Confusedmileyvery-happy:

Message 6 of 21 (42,063 Views)

★★ Novice

The annoying part? Every time you want to change a button you must do this. It's just a work around. So reinstalling should take care of that. If you save your saved files you may preserve your progress. I'm not sure but you, unfortunately may save the problem too. Confusedmileyfrustrated:

Message 7 of 21 (42,059 Views)

★★ Novice

Not sure, if you are using a PS3 type controller with the PC those settings are in the same file. Just scroll to the appropriate section. You will have to do some experimenting to get the syntax right.

Message 8 of 21 (42,057 Views)

★★ Novice

I agree. I was looking for that too. Confusedmileyfrustrated:

Message 9 of 21 (42,056 Views)

★★ Novice

Also make sure you save before you close. I forgot to do that once. Confusedmileyvery-happy:

Message 10 of 21 (42,056 Views)