Need for Speed Most Wanted Will Not Launch

by consolevspc

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Need for Speed Most Wanted Will Not Launch

★★★ Novice

Hello,

I've download Need for Speed Most Wanted as part of the sim city free game offer.

However when I select to play the game, the "launching" message box is displayed and then nothing happens.

The game wil not load.

Any help on how to resolve this would be appreciated.

Thank you

Message 1 of 37 (99,722 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Need for Speed Most Wanted Will Not Launch

★★★ Novice

WORKAROUND:

Disabled Nvidia Graphics Card from Device Manager leaving the Intel Graphics enabled.

This launches the game sucesfully.

I'll contact support to seek further information.

Regards

View in thread

Message 3 of 37 (113,015 Views)

All Replies

★★★ Novice

Further information.

I am running Windows 8.

I have created a new windows administrator account and I have selected to play the game. This time Windows states that Need for Speed encountered an error and needs to close.

The "problem signature" is as follows. This is identical (except for the application name) to the problem signature when I try to launch Tomb Raider via steam also.

Problem signature:
  Problem Event Name: BEX
  Application Name: NFS13.exe
  Application Version: 1.5.0.0
  Application Timestamp: 512cfdc3
  Fault Module Name: StackHash_5861
  Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
  Fault Module Timestamp: 00000000
  Exception Offset: PCH_EF_FROM_ntdll+0x00041318
  Exception Code: c0000005
  Exception Data: 00000008
  OS Version: 6.2.9200.2.0.0.256.103
  Locale ID: 2057
  Additional Information 1: 5861
  Additional Information 2: 5861822e1919d7c014bbb064c64908b2
  Additional Information 3: f3d5
  Additional Information 4: f3d5be0cad2787556264647dc02181c3

Read our privacy statement online:
  http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=190175

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
  C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

Message 2 of 37 (99,547 Views)

★★★ Novice

WORKAROUND:

Disabled Nvidia Graphics Card from Device Manager leaving the Intel Graphics enabled.

This launches the game sucesfully.

I'll contact support to seek further information.

Regards

Message 3 of 37 (113,016 Views)

★ Apprentice

Tried it.

Went to Device Manager, deactivated NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti.

Did not work.

Message 4 of 37 (99,501 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

Ok, is anyone looking into this? It's getting annoying. I'm done with SimCity until like the next 50 patches come out and the game actually makes sense to play.... so long, I would love to be able to play your graciously gifted amendment title, which I cant, because it just does not start.

My research suggests that this indeed has something to do with either my NVIDIA graphics card and/or my dual monitor set-up. Disconnecting either one of my monitors and then trying to run the game, however, has only led to the exact same result of getting the message that my cloud data is being synchronized (the loading bar goes to 5%, stops for a sec, goes to 100% and disappears.... nothing happens for 2 secs, then the same thing happens for a second time. Then. nothing.)

please help!

thank you.

edit: also, some places on the internetz suggest that launching the game directly from the .exe as admin instead of through the Orign client may help. I have tried this and the result is still the same.

Message 5 of 37 (99,478 Views)

Community Manager (retired)

Maybe you can try to launch the game on windowed mode (Alt+Enter.)

Hopefully this will fix this issue. It seems to be a screen resolution issue as you've mentioned the two screens.

Message 6 of 37 (99,469 Views)

★ Apprentice

Thank you for your response. Unfortunately, your suggestion does not solve my problem. The exact same thing happens as before.

Looking forward to getting more suggestions!

cheers!

Message 7 of 37 (99,449 Views)

Happened here as well but everything was fine with just 1 monitor connected.

Just to summarize you are stuck at the loading screen right?

I will post below all the workarounds possible or provided by players. 
I cannot really diagnose accurately your situation
so here are a lot of information. Sorry for the very long text but hopefully this will be worth and will resolve the issue.

- (For Windows 8) - Try to run the game in compatibility mode for Windows 7.

- Resolution - Change the game resolution and/or the your monitor/desktop resolution to its original ratio.

- Windowed mode - Launch the on windowed mode (Alt+Enter) (done)

- Run the game as Administrator. (done)

- Udating your drivers

- Try the solutions here by buliwlondynie

Additional information:

Below, you will find more workarounds provided by the community members.

eanajat wrote:

Hello everyone,

For those who are still experiencing this issue, I will try to list below a recap of different workarounds. Some of them were provided by community members and I hope this will help you all.

If you have already tried these steps without success, please let us know.
Also cosmicf posted a message about system requirements and you will find below the recommendations since this is also an important information:

• Disabling Origin In Game:

1.                 Launch Origin Client and Login to user account

2.                 Click on the Origin Dropdown Menu and select the Application Settings Option

3.                 Click the IN GAME Tab and uncheck the “Enable Origin In Game” Box to disable the IGO

4.                 Attempt to Launch the game

• Updating Origin

fab931025 posted a workaround which involves updating Origin

fraserlaserr refined the workaround here

1. Go to EA Website and Log In to your Origin account on the right at the top.
  2. Click your profile, Change your ID name and YOU MUST VALIDATE/CONFIRM THE EMAIL ADDRESS! 
  3. Go to your Control Panel and uninstall Origin.
  4. Go to Origin and download Origin.
  5. Install Origin and Log in with the Origin application.
  6. Your NFS Most Wanted will now work in on- and offline mode.

• Updating drivers

tutarr posted a message informing that reinstalling his video card driver solved the loading issue:

tutarr wrote:

I solve the problem of the loading. Its simple, reinstall the driver nvidia in full defaults... But the sound of the Most Wanted 2012... pffff No sounds...

Our recommendation is to make sure you have the latest drivers available for your video and sound card.

• Friends list

Another workaround involving the friends list has been provided by 1april.

However the friend list should not cause any issue since this has been fixed with the last game update too, but I will post here the workaround as an additional information. If you think this can still cause an issue, don't hesitate to inform us.

1. My Origin friends list was full. I had 100 friends. The game always froze after the 'Press any key' loading screen.
  2. I unfriended 3 players, so I had only 97 players in my friends list.
  3. After that I had no freezes anymore.
  4. This also explains why I never had freezes in loading screen while I was offline in Origin.

[PC]

• Fixed a friends issue where users with 99 friends PLUS pending friends invites were seeing crashes.

• Need For Speed Most Wanted System Requirements

Minimum System Requirement:

• OS: Windows Vista (Service Pack 2 and all available windows updates) 32-Bit
  • Processor: 2 GHz Dual Core (Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHZ or Atlhon X2 2.7 GHz)
  • Memory: 2 GB
  • Hard Drive: 20 GB
  • Disk Drive: DVD ROM Drive
  • Graphics Card (AMD): DirectX 10.1 compatible with 512 MB RAM (ATI RADEON 3000, 4000, 5000 OR 6000 series, with ATI RADEON 3870 or higher performance)
  • Graphics Card (NVIDIA): DirectX 10.0 compatible with 512 MB RAM (NVIDIA GEFORCE 8, 9, 200, 300, 400 OR 500 series with NVIDIA GEFORCE 8800 GT or higher performance)
  • Sound card: DirectX compatible
  • Peripherals: Keyboard and Mouse

Recommended System Requirement:

• OS: Windows 7 (Service Pack 1 and all available windows updates) 64-bit
  • Processor: Quad-Core CPU
  • Memory: 4 GB
  • Hard Drive: 20 GB
  • Disk Drive: DVD ROM Drive
  • Graphics Card: DirectX 11 compatible with 1024 MB RAM (NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 560 or ATI RADEON 6950)
  • Sound Card: DirectX compatible
  • Peripherals: Keyboard and Mouse

cosmicf I have read your message and indeed Windows 8 is not listed on the system requirements.

Message 8 of 37 (99,423 Views)

★ Apprentice

Thanks again for your reply. But to clarify, I am definitely not stuck on the loading screen!
I'm not really stuck at all. Here is what happens (though I already described it above)

1. I launch the Origin client.

2. I click on NFS MW -> Play button (in the "My Games" tab)

3. An Origin pop up tells me:

Starting

Need for Speed Most Wanted

Cloud Data is being synchronized

(The loading bar instantly goes up to 5%, rests there for maybe half a second, jumps to 100%, remains like that for another half a second)

4. The pop up disappears.

That's it. Nothing more happens. I am back at square one again, looking at the "My Games" tab in the Origin client, which was just before covered to a small part by the NFS pop up described in step 3 above.

Sometimes, steps 1-4 repeat themselves automatically. Maybe a second after the pop up closes, it reopens, goes to 5%, then to 100%, then closes. Nothing happens.

I have come to the conclusion that this is a different issue than what most people appear to be experiencing, being stuck on a black loading screen and whatnot (to which the solutions you posted refer).

Here is what I have tried so far:

1) Running the game with the Origin client closed directly from the .exe. I have tried this as admin, and with the suffix -window behind the shortcut destination, in order to run it in window mode. Also, I have tried compatibility mode for Windows SP3 and with 640x480 resolution.

For all of the attempts, the Origin client launches itself and the result is exactly the same as steps 2-4 mentioned above.

2) Reinstalling Origin. No change.

3) Repairing NFS installation (from the right-click menu through the Origin files) tells me, everything is fine and as it should be.

4) Reinstalling NFS. No change.

5) The suggestion above -> Disabling my graphics card. No change.

6) Trying the game on either one of my two monitors with the other one being disconnected. In other words, a classic single monitor setup. No change.

My system easily meets the minimum requirements, I run SimCity on highest details with the highest resolution, no problem. Also, all my drivers are up to date. A look at my task manager reveals, that after step 2, a Need for Speed process shows up, but just as briefly as the Origin pop up. It disappears simultaneously with it. I am running Windows 7 Home Premium.

If you need any further information in order to come to a better diagnosis, let me know right away!

Again, thank you for your support and I am looking forward to hearing more from you!

Cheers!

Message 9 of 37 (99,417 Views)

[ Edited ]

Alright. I though you experienced  the issue with the loading screen sorry for the confusion.

So this message on the pop-up window mentions the data cloud, though it does not mean the issue is related to this feature, you can check if it's enabled.

1. Launch the Origin client and log in to your account.
  2. Select Application Settings… from the Origin menu.
  3. Scroll down to Origin Beta Participation and check the box next to “Enable cloud storage for all supported games.”
  4. Click Done to save your changes.

Make sure to correctly configure your security software and check that any Internet monitoring services (e.g. Net-Nanny) are turned off.

I hope this will resolve the issue. If not, maybe the Origin support team can find the exact nature of this problem.

Message 10 of 37 (99,411 Views)