Re: Need for Speed Most Wanted 2005 Install Crash

by EA_Nuno

Original Post

Need for Speed Most Wanted 2005 Install Crash

★ Novice

I'm running Windows 10 64 bit, and in a fit of nostalgia decided to reinstall Need for Speed Most Wanted (2005) from my old CD (legitimate copy, not pirated).

I understand other people have had this problem, but what fixed it for them doesn't work for me.

I've tried running it regular, as an admin, in regular mode, in Windows XP (SP2) and (SP3) compatibility modes. I've updated my graphics drivers, and I've tried disabling User Access Control (UAC). No matter what I do, it always gives the same result. I run the speed.exe installer. It displays the splash screen, then my screen turns black and shifts down to an older resolution, probably 1280x1024, not sure exactly, and when the screen comes back from being black, the "speed.exe has stopped working" error is already there. 

I've even run Dependency Walker (http://www.dependencywalker.com/) on recommendation from another help thread about this problem, and it's found a whole bunch of missing dependent .dll's, but I can't make enough sense of it to actually solve anything with this info.

Most of the other threads have been for windows 7 or 8.1, can this game even run in 10? Is there some virtual machine platform like DOS-BOX I can use to make it work?

Message 1 of 4 (568 Views)

EA DICE Team

@Adalias

Windows 10 has a security update regarding DRM that doesn't allow disc version of some older tiles (both EA and non-EA ones). To resolve this, you will have to update your motherboards BIOS, if available. If no updates are available then I am not aware of any other methods of getting the game to run on Windows 10.

If anyone has found a way to still play the game then do let us know in this thread!

Message 2 of 4 (554 Views)

★ Novice

Ahhh old school hyper-aggressive DRM, screwing me over one last time. I probably won't be screwing with the BIOS, in favour of non-cd versions of the game, but what would be involved in the BIOS update that would make it work?

Message 3 of 4 (540 Views)

EA Staff

Hey @ Adalias, I can understand the frustration with this old DRM system, fortunately it only impacts older games. Please check the link bellow, were you can find more info of how it works, for Windows 10: 

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2015/08/windows-10-wont-run-games-with-securom-drm-says-microsoft-2/

Not a solution but more of an explanation. 

Regards. 

Nuno

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AHQ is a player-to-player support Community. Please Grant XP if a post was helpful, and select Accept as Solution when a post resolved your issue.

24/7 dedicated support is available by reaching out to an EA Advisor via https://help.ea.com/en/contact-us/new/

Message 4 of 4 (536 Views)