Frame Rate Drops in NFS Most Wanted PC

by mikeybabs

Original Post

Re: Frame Rate Drops in NFS Most Wanted PC

★★★ Newbie

Yes me too. Really disappointed as the last game I bought from Criterion was Burnout Paradise which flew on the pc on average systems (which is why I bought this game). I have a high end system and it is just unplayable at times.

All Gamers care about is a smooth fast playing experience not fancy graphics. 

Message 21 of 443 (12,600 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

I did some system profiling and the cause of the stuttering is the CPU underclocks thanks to SpeedStep/Cool'n'Queit.

Just let some tool showing CPU clock like CPU-Z or some ingame overlay run next to NFS MW and youll see it

Message 22 of 443 (12,559 Views)

★ Pro

I've read about this too. Disabling the speed step improved the framrate but it's still a bit choppy, it doesnt drop that much, perhaps 10fps or so but the stuttering seems worse than it is. Still, having to force the cpu to run at full frequency all the time is a sloppy solution.

Message 23 of 443 (12,553 Views)

★★ Novice

A solution for now would be to go to Documents\Criterion Games\Need For Speed(TM) Most Wanted and change some settings there, including LockTo30. This should give you a constant 30 FPS is you set to true. I did experience drops to 24 frames though but very occassionally. Hope this helps for now.

Message 24 of 443 (12,453 Views)

Frame Rate Drops in NFS Most Wanted PC

★★★ Novice

Ya the same thing happens to me as well. My framerates maxed is anywhere between 15-45 FPS. Its playable some of the time were it is really smooth the at certain points itll just get horrible. Ill be in a pursuit and itll be smooth and fine then all of a sudden ill be getting horrible FPS so bad I sometimes will get busted. In races itll start out fine then just drop off randomly half way through the race. The smoothness doesnt go away completly though. The FPS will be up and down to the extremes at random intervals. My GPU reports 40-65% usage via EVGA Precision with only up to 1GB V-Ram usage and I have 2GB. My Cpu will get 60-80% usage (very rarely up to 80) and Ram im not 100% sure how much is used. Heres my sytem specs for you guys.

Mobo:       Asus M4A78T-E

Chipset:    AMD 790GX

CPU:        AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition @ 3.2GHZ

RAM:        8GB DDR3

GPU:        Zotac GeForce GTX660 2GB      +        PNY GeForce 9800GT EE for phys-x

PSU:        XFX Xtreme Edtion 650 Watt modular   (52A on +12V rail)

Message 25 of 443 (12,433 Views)

★ Pro

I noticed another intresting thing, start up a multiplayer game for friends only, drive around a bit and you'll notice the fps is better everywhere. It still drops, but not as much as public multiplayer or singleplaer.

Message 26 of 443 (12,428 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

EA fix please 

Message 27 of 443 (12,358 Views)

★ Apprentice

Same issue, the framerate drops turn a beautiful fun game into a stuttering nightmare. just not playable at the moment even on low settings.

And my pc isnt exactly slow.

Intel 3960x @ 4.1

32 gigs XMP ram @2133

3 way sli with 3 680's

Message 28 of 443 (12,352 Views)

★ Apprentice
Running an i5 with a 7950 and I too get many fps drops. Had to switch on the 30 fps cap to avoid all the stuttering.
Message 29 of 443 (12,274 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

Same problem here. My specs are

Gigabyte Sniper x58 chipset

i7 930 running @ 4.2Ghz

2x gtx 580 sli

12GB 2000MHz DDR3 RAM

3TB +2TB + 1.5TB SATA ii 7200rpm HDD

1000W Corsair PSU

I have noticed that the game plays smoothly when the frame rate is at 60fps but noticed considerable stuttering when it dips to the low 40s. I have played many many other games at lower frame rates which appear much smoother than the stutter I am experiencing with this game, including need for speed the run, which initially when released had a cap of 30fps. Usually, an fps in the low 40s should appear silk smooth unless you have extraordinary eyesight which I dont think I have. The only other cause I can think of from the back of my head is that the same image is being refreshed multiple times. Usually, every time the monistor display is refreshed, a new image is displayed on the screen. However, in this game, I beileve the same image is being refreshed multiple times, hence the stutter at a relatively high framerate. Also, If vsync is internally enabled, for some reason, it is allowing the same frame to pass through and be displayed on the refreshed screen instead of waiting for a new frame to be generated. Otherwise there is no way I can get such stuttering at such a high framerate. I do hope they do fix it. Personally, i would not have released the pc version in such a state, but each to their own i guess.

l8r Standard smile

Message 30 of 443 (12,273 Views)