Re-release classic Need For Speed games in HD

by Sonic_The_Jedi

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Re-release classic Need For Speed games in HD

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

Remember the older Need For Speed games for PC? Games like Need For Speed III: Hot Pursuit, and Need For Speed: High Stakes? I've been a fan of those games for several years, and it was them that got me into the racing genre in general. So, it got me wondering: Why hasn't EA re-released them on Playstation Network or Xbox Live yet? I would love to see them (the PC versions, of course) be ported to newer consoles like Playstation 4 or Xbox One with HD graphics, complete with new cars, maybe a remixed soundtrack, and maybe a new course. And nothing would make me happier than being able to race on Redrock Ridge in a Ferrari F50 on my Playstation 4 with Cetus 808 playing in the background. Can a Need For Speed HD Classic Collection be made, please? I really miss those games so much, and because I can't run the old PC versions of those games anymore, I really want them to be re-released on modern consoles so I can play them again. Please, EA. As a long time fan of Need For Speed, I highly recommend you do so. Many of us retro gamers will be very happy if you re-release them, and it would be the best thing you ever did. Standard smile

Message 1 of 10 (4,710 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Re-release classic Need Fo Speed games in HD

EA DICE Team

@Sonic_The_Jedi @Manticore8

I appreciate the enthusiasm for remasters as I am a big fan of these myself. But do take into account that this would be a massive project to bring not one, but even multiple remasters to the next-gen consoles.

I myself, apart from Need for Speed, would love to see a Mass Effect and Dragon Age trilogy on the next-gen consoles. Please keep the feedback and requests coming and I will be sure to forward that for you.

If any of these plans are meant to come to fruition in the future then we will be sure to share that (with extreme passion and joy) with our players. Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us!

Have a great weekend,

View in thread

Message 5 of 10 (5,182 Views)

All Replies

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

Give us this for Playstation 4, Xbox One, and Wii U! I promise that I will buy it if you make it happen!

Message 2 of 10 (4,685 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

They would have to reacquire licenses for the cars that are available in these games. I wouldn't mind a proper sequel to the original six games, though - without open world, weapons and Burnout elements, but with the Quick Race mode instead.

BTW, you CAN run these games on modern PCs. You need to put some effort into it, but it is possible. You can find tutorials on this on PCGamingWiki for example.

Message 3 of 10 (4,667 Views)

★★ Novice

I would be perfectly ok if they had to replace the cars in the game with completely different ones. I just want to race on the NFS3 tracks in HD with a remixed NFS3 soundtrack.

Message 4 of 10 (4,653 Views)

EA DICE Team

@Sonic_The_Jedi @Manticore8

I appreciate the enthusiasm for remasters as I am a big fan of these myself. But do take into account that this would be a massive project to bring not one, but even multiple remasters to the next-gen consoles.

I myself, apart from Need for Speed, would love to see a Mass Effect and Dragon Age trilogy on the next-gen consoles. Please keep the feedback and requests coming and I will be sure to forward that for you.

If any of these plans are meant to come to fruition in the future then we will be sure to share that (with extreme passion and joy) with our players. Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us!

Have a great weekend,

Message 5 of 10 (5,183 Views)

★ Novice

Hi

I would love if the old classic Need for Speed games gets remastered versions but how about a Ultimate Collection for PC of all the classic Need for Speed games not released on the Origin platform on PC, like your C&C Ultimate Collection.

Thank You

Andre

Message 6 of 10 (4,229 Views)

Re: Re-release classic Need For Speed games in HD

★ Novice

I would also love to play those games again. Nothing like the Aqua level in HP or the French village in HS. It make be a lot of work to remaster the older games but considering the amount of work and continually failing of the new NFS's it might make a lot more sense.

But the game HAS to have the same music remastered is fine but not remixed.

Message 7 of 10 (3,396 Views)

★ Novice

Hi,

I don't think EA would ever do this. If EA would ever do anything with these old games, it would be to realise the source code. But I would love to see them give the classics some love!

But if you want to play these games om modern hardware and HD on PC, you can do that: NFS II, NFSIII, NFS HS. NFS II and III also natively supports online multiplayer, more info about that here.

OpenNFS is also an attempt to rebuild all the classic NFS games, and put them in to one game. You should check out OpenNFS

Message 8 of 10 (2,669 Views)

★★ Expert

@Sonic_The_Jedi 

Yes, this would be a dream come true if Ea ever remastered these games to modern standards.

However with the stiff competition with the new PS5 coming out and confirmed for November 2020.

Many console players I feel would get the first taste of any remastered games and then PC players would get to play.

I'm basing this off the past two releases with NFS titles.  

2.Payback

So here is a link confirming the new PS 5 for spring 2020 for anyone interested. 

https://www.ps5playstation5.com/ps5-confirmed/

Also, if EA was or is to remaster these games the general public will have to wait for an official release of any such reports.

I have been playing this franchise since day one of its creation and have been a fan ever since.

However, I will admit first and upfront I was recently happy to read EA got the message from the consumers to stop manipulating fans.

EA said they will stop with Micro Transactions in Payback and move to a new option instead.

Confirmed here in this provided link.

https://gamerant.com/need-for-speed-payback-loot-boxes/

In the meantime, while we all wait for the new games... let's keep enjoying the classic ones too.

Hope you have a great day. :eahigh_file:

Message 9 of 10 (2,600 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I personally also was around the early days of NFS games and would love to see them come back in remaster/remake form. But only if they improve upon themselves. Next to already classic tracks, bring in far more open world maps like in later NFS games or other games. And more car parts, tasks, challenges etc. for example like the ones in NFS4.

Related to this why not much effort is put into NFS because back in a day in late 90s it lacked compared to Gran Turismo which sold far more and other racing games kinda suffered and were not top notch. So NFS became more of a full on kiddy game then games full of content that screams effort. Underground 2 was my last fun with this franchise. Pro Street had some great maps and races such as finally getting proper drifting in NFS instead of that silly thing in U2. It had a decent number of cars, enough variety but still not enough compared to some other games also major lack in car mods, overall variety in content. And far as I remember was short without much to do after the storymode.

Sure I mentioned things that the classics lacked but my point is NFS was evolving, slowly but it was and at one point it lost that effort. And would love to see a perfect balance taking from all the games and combining into one.

So a comeback would be great long as they avoid gimmicks and don't trash on the old games. Take what was great about them, do some advancing, improve, build upon it and we get a great game. Make us poor at the start of the game, racing even mass produced junks and actually make us feel like we advance.

If this never happens I will still have my fix with old games or just take one game, mod it, add old cars, cars of my own choice, add the good old racing music and have few days of fun then come back to it at one point. So it's not all that dark as it seems. Community always finds the way just like nature. (Unless we nuke it but that is a entierly different story for another day)

Message 10 of 10 (1,397 Views)