[PC] Fanatec CSR Issues

by fireballassasin

Original Post

Accepted Solution

[PC] Fanatec CSR Issues

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

I have a fanatec CSR wheel, pedals, and shifter set. 

I have three issues,

1) The Fanatec CSR was originally stated to be a native supported steering wheel (see belowimage)

https://gyazo.com/4d4afa9d91653afe2e4581d19fe191f8

Now when you actually get into the game the CSR is not listed as a supported wheel, only the Fanatec Clubsport is listed as a supported wheel. I can use the Clubsport preset with some tweaking to be able to have some functions with my wheel (steering, throttle, brake, and partial menu navigation). However, I can't do things like answer phone calls and some other in-game functions are mapped to buttons that don't exist on my wheel and aren't available to be remapped. Other functions (like forward and back in the menu, A and B on xbox) are mapped to awkward keys (in this specific case X and Y on my wheel [it has the same button layout/labeling as an xbox controller]). I've gone through every wheel preset and controller preset (as well as custom wheel presets) and the only one that allow me some functionality other than gas, brake, and steer is the Clubsport preset. Thus I have a few questions...

- Why was the CSR listed as being supported if the Clubsport is what is actually supported? (They are not the same)

- Should I expect the CSR to have native support in the near future? (It was listed as having native support)

- In the mean time, how should I go about making control adjustments to solve my issue?

- Why is it not possible to map certain functions (like forward and back in the menus) to specific buttons? (They are important to game play).

- Also why is mapping certain keys (PGUP and PGDWN / RB and LB as an example) not a function in the game when it is critical to game play?

2) My CSR has a set of two shifters, one H-Shifter and one Sequential shifter. The H-shifter can be mapped to certain functions, but the sequential shifter cannot.

In other games, the sequential shifter is mapped to the same buttons as the paddle shifters (in this case marked as RB and LB since they are labelled with X360 buttons). 

- Am I able to fix this? Or is it some sort of compatibility issue that would need to be solved game side? 

3) When you go to controls to re-map your controller, it defaults to the XBox controller (every time i enter the menu the xbox controller shows up first) even though you may have selected something else as your controller setup. This is confusing, b/c it leads me to believe my wheel may not be mapping correctly.

P.S. Anyone that has a CSR (w/ pedals and shifter or not) that got it working, i'd love to hear how you got it to work. It may better help me understand how to fix / troubleshoot mine. (or to find out i messed it up to begin with, and i shouldn't have any issues in the first place)

Edit 1: edited some wording that was unclear

Edit 2: Bottom paragraph

Message 1 of 6 (2,222 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: [PC] Fanatec CSR Issues

EA DICE Team

Hi @fireballassasin,

I forwarded the information you provided before the weekend. Our wheel support list has since then been changed to reflect the information that you provided us. It now states that the Clubsport is supported as opposed to the CSR.

It seems that this was an unfortunate typo from our end. As you mentioned, I am surprised that it wasn't brought up earlier by other users. I am still waiting for confirmation about the Fanatec CSR Elite as you provided the details about this wheel a bit later. This does mean that if you are correct on the Clubsport being the official supported wheel, that there isn't much we can do to get the CSR up and running, as opposed to what you already tried.

I hope this clears things up for you. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

View in thread

Message 6 of 6 (2,361 Views)

All Replies

EA DICE Team

Hi @fireballassasin,

As far as I know your wheel should be supported, as it indeed our our official list. Most of your questions are answered in our Wheels, Controllers and Controls thread. Could you try going through those steps? It details how you can map different keys etc.

If still experience issues with your wheel afterwards then feel free to reply back to this thread.

Message 2 of 6 (2,194 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

Yeah, @Straatford87 I started with that guide first. Everything in it I've already tried (except the one thing at the bottom about using another program). I can get the wheel (by altering the controls) to work somewhat to the point where I am able to drive a car with it, but navigating menus, answering phone calls, entering the garage, is just about impossible b/c none of these functions have (at least from what I've seen) the ability to be remapped to new buttons. 

On the subject of official support for the wheel, the Fanatec CSR is listed as being supported while the Clubsport is not listed as being supported, when in reality the Clubsport is supported and the CSR appears not to be supported. 

The CSR looks like this: http://www.virtualr.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/2.jpg

The Clubsport (sometimes called the CSW) looks like this: http://www.fanatec.com/image/cache/data/wheels/CSW-V2/CSW-V2_big_06-1000x666.png

The only Fanatec wheel that has a preset in game is labelled as the Clubsport and indeed the icon on screen looks like the clubsport. I assume someone just made the mistake of referring to the CSW as the CSR when putting out the official list. This isn't really bad, i'm just surprised i'm the only one talking about it... Not that I would blame them for not supporting a wheel that came out for Forza 4 (especially when no MadCatz wheels are default supported). 

Anyways, I'm really just wondering if I should expect native support and if there is some way to alter the button binds for Forward and Back in the Menu and the Confirm Function (used for answering calls/entering garage). Those functions would be mapped on a keyboard to Enter/Esc for Forward/Back and PGUP for Confirm. I can change which buttons do literally everything else except those 3 functions (maybe menu up/down/left/right cant be bound either, but they are default mapped correctly when using the clubsport preset so i wouldn't have noticed). 

Message 3 of 6 (2,184 Views)

EA DICE Team

HI @fireballassasin,

Thanks a lot for writing this up. I don't have a wheel myself to test this, but what I could do was go in-game to double-check the name of the wheel against the one on our supported list. It seems that you are right in that it states Clubsport in-game. I will forward this to the studio for verification.

However, that does mean that at the moment I am not sure of where the actual mistake is. It could be that we listed the wrong wheel or vice versa. I will get back to you on that as soon as I have more information.

Lastly, if you scroll between the different control options in-game you do have the ability to custom map your controls. But if I understand you correctly then you are running into an issue with mapping three specific buttons in this manner?

Message 4 of 6 (2,152 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

@Straatford87 No I don't have issues with binding buttons* my issue is with not having the ability to bind buttons to certain functionalities. Take an Xbox controller as an example. Left Bumper and Right Bumper (LB and RB) have default functions. However, if you go to customize your  controller's button layout you will notice there are no functions listed that are paired with the RB and LB buttons. Say, for example, my controller had broken LB and RB buttons, because the functionality associated with them cannot be remapped to other buttons I wouldn't be able to use that specific functionality. 

In essence, this is what is happening on my wheel. The functionality (on a keyboard the functions would be on the Page Up and Page Down keys) is default mapped to buttons on my wheel that don't exist. Since I cannot map new buttons to that functionality, I am unable to use that functionality. 

Basically there are four functions (by default on a keyboard they are mapped to Enter, Esc, PGUp, and PGDown)  which cannot be remapped in ANY of the menus. All of the functions (respectively) are Menu forward/select, Menu back, Enter Garage/enter race/confirm challenge, and answer phone. I have not entered the wrap editor with my wheel, so some functionalities there may also be mapped to buttons that don't exist and may also be un-mappable.

From a game design standpoint, solutions to this would be either 1) allow the functions to be mapped or 2) tie the remapping of those functions to the keys/buttons of other functions (say nitro and handbrake or something like that). The only reason im the only one talking about this issue is probably b/c im the only one (or one of few) who is experiencing it since keyboards and controllers all have those functions mapped to buttons that exist so they don't need to be remapped. 

***in the first paragraph, i technically have two buttons on my wheel (the two lower orange/red buttons on the face of the wheel --see pic below) that don't seem to do anything. Clicking them to remap functions too doesn't actually do anything. This is also a similar issue to my Sequential shifter. Granted, neither of those is necessary for gameplay so it doesn't necessarily need fixing. https://www.fanatec.com/image/cache/data/wheels/csr/CSR-1000x666.png

On the subject of wheel support:

Fanatec CSR

Fanatec CSR Elite

Fanatec Clubsport (CSW)

Fanatec made an 'Elite' version of the CSR which had a similar wheel face, but shared a base with the clubsport instead of sharing the same base as the normal CSR. This can be seen in the photographs above. This leads me to believe that the CSR Elite IS default supported (since it probably works the same as the clubsport) while the CSR (which has Fanatec's older wheel base they used on some of their old Porsche wheels) is not supported. Not that this is justification for not having CSR support when it is clearly listed, but if my hypothesis proves to be true then it would make the mistake understandable. I can't really test my theory since I don't have nor know anyone who has an Elite...

Message 5 of 6 (2,144 Views)

EA DICE Team

Hi @fireballassasin,

I forwarded the information you provided before the weekend. Our wheel support list has since then been changed to reflect the information that you provided us. It now states that the Clubsport is supported as opposed to the CSR.

It seems that this was an unfortunate typo from our end. As you mentioned, I am surprised that it wasn't brought up earlier by other users. I am still waiting for confirmation about the Fanatec CSR Elite as you provided the details about this wheel a bit later. This does mean that if you are correct on the Clubsport being the official supported wheel, that there isn't much we can do to get the CSR up and running, as opposed to what you already tried.

I hope this clears things up for you. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Message 6 of 6 (2,362 Views)