Re: NHL 18 brightness fluctuations PS4 Pro

by casdevils2k

Original Post

Accepted Solution

NHL 18 brightness fluctuations PS4 Pro

★★ Apprentice

I have a 4K OLED C7. Auto Dimming, etc is turned off, tried to lower the sharpness setting like people have suggested elsewhere, didn't work. It only happens on my PS4 Pro and not XBOX one or any other EA Sports game. It only happens playing NHL 17 and NHL 18 that I just picked up.

In the offensive or defensive zones everything is fine, as soon as I exit towards the neutral zone everything dims temporarily.

ANY assistance would be appreciated. It is driving me insane.

When going into the auto dimming sections and highlighting the off setting, everything is fine, but the moment I back out of it and return to the game, it goes dark.

Message 1 of 11 (2,780 Views)

Accepted Solution

Community Manager

@casdevils2k

The way HDMI works is likely slightly different on XB1 and PS4 and it is possible this auto dimming is not totally removable.

Try connecting your PS4 with the HDMI cable you use for your XB1, this has a low probability of fixing the issue.

Are you running the TV in 'Game' mode? Since Getting a 4K HDR TV myself, I have found the guys over on Rtings seem like they know their stuff.

Check the following link for "optimal" specific settings for your TV: http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/c7-oled/settings

barry.png

View in thread

Message 9 of 11 (3,643 Views)

All Replies

Community Manager

@casdevils2k

It is possible that turning off Auto Dimming does not completely disable it.

Try this:

"ABL is less of an issue if the OLED light setting is set to 35 or less, where the fluctuations between scenes will only drop by 20 cd/m2 or less."

Found that here: http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/c7-oled

Let us know here if setting the OLED light setting to 35 or below on your TV helps, thanks.

barry.png
Message 2 of 11 (2,765 Views)

★★ Apprentice

I will try this later tonight. I currently have my OLED light settings in game mode at 100. I like it bright. 35 seems extremely low?

I wonder why this is because every other EA game is fine at my 100 setting? Madden 18 pre HDR update was fine at the 100 setting along with other non-HDR games.

Message 3 of 11 (2,760 Views)

Community Manager

@casdevils2k

It probably has to do with the large bright white area that is on-screen most of the time I'd say.

barry.png
Message 4 of 11 (2,756 Views)

★★ Apprentice

That's a great point. Makes sense actually.

My biggest fear is I want the game to pop and not be too dark. Perhaps rasing the Gamma will help too.

Will keep you posted. Thanks so much!

Message 5 of 11 (2,753 Views)

Community Manager

@casdevils2k

You are welcome.

If I had that TV, I too would hope and expect it to be really amazing.

barry.png
Message 6 of 11 (2,747 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Apprentice

It is an amazing TV. I highly recommend it!

I just couldn't understand WHY this was the only game out of any game that I own, especially the only EA sports game that does this.

Then you hit the nail on the head with the whiteness/ice. Makes sense, but it also makes me wonder why only at center ice and not the entire game? And why only on PS4 but not Xbox One? Something doesn't add up.

Message 7 of 11 (2,744 Views)

★★ Apprentice

So this did not work. Going to 30 is just way too dark. I bumped it up to around 50-60 and it "stings less" but is still too dark. One thing I noticed is if I do some of the overhead camera angles, it goes away. It only happens when I use  close ones e.g. dynamic low, medium, or action cam, ice, etc.

Any other suggestions? Like i said, this only happens for NHL 17/18 on PS4/PS4 Pro, not Xbox One or One S.

So, there is something going on with the playstation and my TV because loading the same game on my XBOX one S works fine.

Message 8 of 11 (2,731 Views)

Community Manager

@casdevils2k

The way HDMI works is likely slightly different on XB1 and PS4 and it is possible this auto dimming is not totally removable.

Try connecting your PS4 with the HDMI cable you use for your XB1, this has a low probability of fixing the issue.

Are you running the TV in 'Game' mode? Since Getting a 4K HDR TV myself, I have found the guys over on Rtings seem like they know their stuff.

Check the following link for "optimal" specific settings for your TV: http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/c7-oled/settings

barry.png
Message 9 of 11 (3,644 Views)

★★ Apprentice

Yeah I'll try switching the HDMI cords and see if that helps. I have been using the one that came with the PS4 Pro. Will try the Xbox one and then another one that I have.

Once getting the tv, I immediately used those settings and others from around the web. The settings are great, it's just this game...damn!

Thanks again for your help.

Message 10 of 11 (2,718 Views)