Re: Franchise Mode, 'extension dollars remaining' different from next year cap s

by BLVD69

Original Post

Franchise Mode, 'extension dollars remaining' different from next year cap space

★★★★ Novice

Product: NHL 18
Platform:Sony Playstation 4
How often does the bug occur? Often (50% - 99%)
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? I'm not sure if it can be easily replicated, but this is how I arrived here: I started a new Franchise Mode after the first roster update in October using the Toronto Maple Leafs. Before I started it, I moved Nathan Horton and Joffrey Lupul to Free Agents, as there's no LTIR in NHL 18. Then I proceeded to make a few trades, play through an entire season, and then re-sign a bunch of my players. I'm now over halfway through my second season, at the beginning of March in the 2018-2019 season, and this is when I noticed the problem/bug.
What happens when the bug occurs? Just to preface, I was told to report this as a bug by EA customer support. Basically, I cannot resign a player to a new extension because my 'extension dollars remaining' is nearly $5M less than my cap space for next season. My 'extension dollars remaining' is $3.705M, while my cap space for next season is $8.555M. I understand that the team owner gives you a limit to spend to in 'Player Salaries Budget' . However, the description for Player Salaries Budget says 'You may go over the target without repercussions as long as you maintain a profit.' My team has a year-to-date profit of $70M, so I should be able to go over that limit. My problem also has nothing to do with retained salary, as I only have $1.200M in retained salary, and I believe that is taken into account for your 'projected spent' number. Even if it isn't, that doesn't explain why there's a $4.8M difference between my 'extension dollars remaining' and my cap space for next season.
What do you expect to see? I expect to see the numbers match-up; since my team has a profit, I should be able to use my full cap space for next season to re-sign a player.
Was the issue in online or offline mode? Offline
Insert Game Mode or Feature here Franchise Mode, Player Contracts & Player Salaries Budget
What time did you see the bug? (HH:MM AM/PM) 03:05 AM
What is your time zone? EST (IET) - GMT - 5:30
What is your gamertag/PSN ID? KrizenMedina
PS4 Crash Reporting: Please copy the text you put in the crash report here.
EASHL issues? Please insert your Club Region.
What is your game language? English

Again, I contacted EA customer support about this problem, and was specifically told to make a bug report.

Also, this is a copy of a Reddit post I made about this issue, as it may explain things easier or include additional numbers about my Franchise Mode. The first one is my original post, and the second is a reply I made to someone.

Original post:

"Okay, so I'm on the day of the Trade Deadline in the 2018-2019 season. Before the season started, I had four NHL roster players that were going into the final year of their deals, and I wanted to keep all four. I managed to sign three of them in the off-season, and now I'm trying to sign the final one, but the amounts aren't adding up. In my contracts for the 2019-2020 season, it says my team cap hit is $69.335M, and with $1.200M in retained salary, it says my cap space is $8.555M, as the salary cap will be $79.090M. And yet, if I try to resign the final player, who's asking for $5.4M, it says I only have $3.705M extension dollars remaining. =\

Is it possible that you only have a certain amount of 'extension dollars' per season or something? Out of the three players I re-signed in the off-season, I signed two of them to $9.250M and $9.500M contracts, and then the third to a $2.450M contract. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find any explanation in any of the menus that clearly says '[this] is your limit of extension dollars', or hell, ANY type of explanation. I'd greatly appreciate some insight into this. Thanks in advance for any replies!"

Additional reply:

"I'm starting to think it has something to do with my owner's allotment target for player salaries, but I'm still not convinced because of something I've noticed, which I'll explain in a second.

If I go to the Operations Budget, it says my 'target' for player salaries, which is given by the team owner, is $68.872M. My current allocation for player salaries, as noted by the 'projected spent' amount, is $64.854M, which adds up, as my current cap space for this year is $13.236M, and the current salary cap is $78.090M.

While that would explain the $3.705M extension dollars remaining, (although not to the exact decimal, which is odd) there's two problems with that: the first one being that those numbers are for this current year. The extension I'd be signing the player to would begin next year, when my cap hit will be $69.335M before that extension. So if I'm already over the target for next year, why is it still giving me another $3.705M in extension dollars, but not the full cap space of $8.555M?

This also leads into the second problem. In the Operations Budget, the description for 'Player Salaries Budget' is as follows: "The Player Salaries Budget is allocated by your team's current roster. The owner will give you a target to which they think you should spend to. You may go over the target without repercussions as long as you maintain a profit." My team has a huge profit. In fact, the year-to-date profit is approximately $70M. So it's saying I'm allowed to go over that $68.872M target by my owner, and it's not giving me an exact amount of how much I can go over, so one would assume you can spend right to the salary cap as long as your team has a profit, which mine does.

Oh, and as a bonus problem, if I try to sign any unsigned rookies, on the left-hand side in the contract offer window, it says 'NHL Salary Cap' and shows '$64.854M / $78.090M', the first number being my projected spent. But if I try to re-sign any RFAs or UFAs, instead of 'NHL Salary Cap', it says 'Extension Dollars' and shows '$74.385M / $78.090M'. Where the hell is this $74.385M number coming from? If that's my cap hit/projected spent for next year, then that number should be $69.335M, or, if you include the $1.200M in retained salary, $70.535M.

Ugh, I think I'm even more confused now than before."

Message 1 of 8 (6,398 Views)

Re: Franchise Mode, 'extension dollars remaining' different from next year cap s

★★★★ Novice

It's been four weeks, and I can't even get a single response? Wow. The problem is now even worse; I'm now in the 2019-2020 season, and although it says my 'projected spent' for 2020-2021 is $68M, my 'extension dollars remaining' is only $2.4M. That's literally $9M in cap space that's just vanished into thin air.

Message 2 of 8 (6,276 Views)

★★★ Newbie
I think you were correct with what you thought previously, while the nhl cap is a certain amount, small market teams have a lower personal cap and it seems to limit resigning to that amount.
Message 3 of 8 (6,182 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

It's not that. For one thing, I picked the Leafs; there's no bigger market in the NHL. And secondly, both the owner's cap allotment and the regular cap is specifically displayed under Player Salaries Budget.

I don't think I'm ever going to get an answer to this, and it's absolutely ridiculous that I can't even get a single person from EA to reply to this topic after two months.

Message 4 of 8 (6,144 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Is Nathan Horton still on your roster?

Message 5 of 8 (5,383 Views)

★★★★ Novice
By asking if Horton is still on my roster, that shows you didn't even bother to read past the first sentence of my post. In fact, the answer is literally in the very next sentence:

"Before I started it, I moved Nathan Horton and Joffrey Lupul to Free Agents, as there's no LTIR in NHL 18."

I'm honestly not trying to be a * or be snarky, but before responding to a bug report, you should read the entire thing. Or at LEAST past the first sentence.
Message 6 of 8 (5,377 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

Edit: Went on a rant there, hopefully nobody saw.

Problem lies with how future years salaries are reported. They're misreported during the season, then is corrected during the re-signing phase. You'll see you can spend to the cap during the re-signing phase but you'll have a hard time accounting for it during your contract negotiations during the year, so just wait until the re-signing phase for the next season.

Message 7 of 8 (5,363 Views)

★★ Expert

@KrizenMedina 

Watch this as it may give you the solution you desire.

If so credit me with the solution and some XP, please.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xU_Nx52cvMw

OR

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUGNNWeCzl0

Message 8 of 8 (4,863 Views)