NHL Feedback & Future Recommendations

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Newbie

3/8/2017

EA Sports

209 Redwood Shores Parkway

Redwood, CA 94065

To whom it may concern:

I’ve been playing the EA Sports NHL series since 2000 (I remember that epic Chris Pronger cover) and have enjoyed each installment along the way.  The point of this letter is to give EA Sports some of my personal feedback and recommendations for future NHL installments.  I’ve compiled the list below over the past several years and decided to send it your way just so you can incorporate any recommendations for the much-anticipated NHL 18 that will soon be released this fall.  Before I go any further, I understand that some of my feedback and recommendations won’t be possible due to copyright issues or the continuous battle between EA Sports and the NHLPA.  With that said however, below are a few things that myself and many other NHL gamers would like to have established in upcoming NHL installments.  Enjoy the list and please, take each point with a grain of salt.

1. Include Winter Classic and Stadium Series games from the past and present. Many of us thoroughly enjoyed the outdoor settings with the variety of weather conditions.  Please bring it back!!

1. Larger assortment of jersey selections for each team. Would it be too much of a hassle to include each jersey from every team ever designed?  It’s a tall order, but with such a high reward/satisfaction.

1. Bring back Classic Teams! There might be issues with the NHLPA allowing former players’ names in the game again, but at least have a classic team (or two) for each current NHL team (i.e. 1996 Colorado Avalanche), era (i.e. ‘60s, ‘70s, ‘80s, ‘90s, ‘00s, etc.), and/or national team (i.e. 1980 USA, 1998 Czech, and any national Soviet team because let’s be honest, those guys were bosses at hockey) with numbers as their names.  For example, Patrick Roy = #33.  And just like that, problem averted with no complaints coming from the NHLPA.

1. 100 Year Anniversary Team. If EA Sports is unable to bring back Classic Teams, can you at least celebrate 100 years of the greatest and coolest game on earth by creating a 100 Year Anniversary Team?!  The 100 greatest players of all time have already been compiled (https://www.nhl.com/fans/nhl-centennial/100-greatest-nhl-players), so the hard part is already done.

1. Better goalie detail. Let me first say that the EA staff has done a tremendous job at how much detail is included in the game year after year, along with the graphics that are completely out of this world.  However, as a goaltender for 17 years (and counting), I would love to see more detail (customized masks, wider selection of pads, etc.) with the goalies in the game.

1. Better coach detail. This is a minor recommendation, but how awesome would it be to see John Torts all fired up in future installments?!

1. Bring back teams that are no longer part of the NHL. This list includes the Montreal Wanderers, Quebec Bulldogs, Hamilton Tigers, Pittsburgh Pirates, Philadelphia Quakers, Ottawa Senators (1917-1934), St. Louis Eagles, Montreal Maroons, Brooklyn Americans, California Golden Seals, Kansas City Scouts, Cleveland Barons, Atlanta Flames, Colorado Rockies, Minnesota North Stars, Quebec Nordiques, Winnipeg Jets (1979-1996), Hartford Whalers, and Atlanta Thrashers.  Please and thank you.

1. Mini games. Mini games.  Mini games.  I understand that the men and women at EA Sports are busy, but try and tell me that 3 on 3 hockey on a mini rink or enlarged rink wouldn’t sell!  Or the classic “hit the man off the puck and he’s unable to get up from the ice until the opposing team scores” mini game.  I’m pitching you absolute gold here. 

Keep up the phenomenal work EA Sports, because between GM Mode, Season Mode, Offline Shootouts, Online gameplay, roster updates, and everything else included, the NHL series continues to be my favorite game to purchase year after year (18 years and counting!).  I can’t thank EA Sports enough for everything that you’ve done for all of us hockey fans over the years.  Without the EA Sports NHL Series, I probably wouldn’t even own a video game system and my summers would be completely dull and pointless.  Thank you so much for taking the time to read my impromptu note and I look forward to hearing back from you along with purchasing NHL 18!  Cheers!

Warmest regards,

Gavin [Full name removed - Admin.]

Message 1 of 17 (13,554 Views)

Re: NHL Feedback & Future Recommendations

Community Manager

@gavinjmyers

Thanks very much for taking the time to put this post together. I particularly like the ideas of more jerseys and Classic teams.

Thank you for your loyalty for all these years.

What else do you guys want to see if future games?

barry.png
Message 2 of 17 (13,501 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Apprentice

Hi Gavin and EA SPORTS,

I just want to give EA SPORTS my thoughts just like you in this post and encourage them to make an outdoor games in the next installment and also give them some more thoughts on the next game. It would be very cool to play Winter classic games on next gen with different times of day, like night, day, snowing, cloudy and so on. I have to admit that your wishlist is a nice one Standard smile but what I didn't like about it was that there are really many things which are not in the game because of these troubling licenses Frown and that makes me think that the most of your wishlist things are not as real as they might be, so personally I would put more realistic things in my own wishlist and also more important things that might get fixed you know, for example it's very comic if you watch the bench, how they act, what mimics they have, how they move when the line changes, it's very unrealistic and bad looking and it also breaks a little bit the feeling of the game when you see it in a cutscene durring your play. So I'll write my wishlist here and hopefully others will do aswell just so this topic becomes hot and guys working on next installment will take a look on this and take it more seriously.

Wishlist:
Gameplay: The biggest trouble at the gameplay right now in my opinion is (from biggest to smallest): a) bodychecking, b) gameplay near the boards, c) Positioning of AI d) puck pick ups (when there are two opposition players)

So Let's talk about A): So what's bad about bodychecking right now. I don't like it because in most of the times it's almost impossible to hit someone (It was way more fun in nhl 14). In real hockey you push or hit someone all the time, however in the NHL 17 you can hit someone only if you have a speed and it will be a heavy hit. Off course you can hit someone when you don't have a speed but I'll explain what will happen. You are going to do hitting animation but what happens is that you get pushed away from that player, instead of him getting pushed away from you and the puck. It's like if there was some barrier. After some time I figured out that you put that barrier in the game on next gen because you wanted to prevent players from getting too many bad penalties for forbidden types of bodychecking but I still think that there shouldn't be any barrier. You should be able to hit when you want (off course if you got right speed and if he's in front of you turned against you with his face etc.). I played NHL 14  when I was not doing well in NHL 17 and I realized how you could hit anyone back then. But you also got a lot of penalties for careless hitting. However I believe that this would add to the skill you need to have to hit someone at the right time or position instead of making the game think for yourself by adding the barrier to players to prevent players taking penalties for forbidden types of hits. I don't like these barriers. There are also barriers arround the goalies which there weren't in NHL 15. It was very good to be able to hit a goalie if you are pissed or push a goalie if you are too careless to slow down or stop right in front of the goalie if you are on breakaway. If you want to become skilled player, you should learn to avoid being too careless with skating to the goalie and getting the penalties. Again there shouldn't be barriers and the game shouldn't think for yourself.

B): Gameplay near the boards. The issue is that if you are trying to get in the zone and you are just too close to the boards, the player will not hit the puck if you want to dump it in or quickly shoot it to the net because there is some collision, or barrier next to the boards. It just plays very bad unfortunately. You have to be very carefull if you want to dump in the puck.

C): Positioning of AI. Alot of players are complaining about the AI that the defensemen are rushing the players instead of holding their position when the puck is yet in the neutral zone. This happens mostly when someone leaves the zone and then immediately enters it again. It feels like the AI is just slowly reacting to that kind of play and it will all end up with the breakaway most of the time. There are also situations when you don't have anyone to pass the puck because they are not getting into free spots, they just stay next to oppositing players and you can't pass the puck to them because the oppositing players will immediately intercept it and make a turnover which gets me to the problem that it's too easy to intercept the pass in the NHL right now Frown. In real life the passes are almost as fast as shots and if the pass is sent the right way you don't have a big chance of stopping it unless you are in a good position or you get down on your knee and cover the most of the space with your knee and the stick on the ground as well. I don't like when I pass the puck and someone 2-3 meters away from a player that should receive the pass intercepts the pass and does an animation where he almost dives with his stick while the pass is simply as fast as shot. No chance in real life to have such reflexes and it happens too often. When someone isn't in a good position while keeping up with the player that he should hold on then that defending player should get punished and not get a present from the game and intercept the pass that is further than the player receiving the pass. (I'm talking about that automatic interception that triggers automatically if you are not doing anything, not pokechecks). I think pokechecks are alright, it's fun to play and pokecheck.You can feel awesome as a defensman when you know how and when to use them and make some good turnovers.

D): Puck pick ups (when there are two or more oppositing players). I'll be complaining here about the issue when someone stops playing and you can't take his puck. You are going to pokecheck which doesn't work when he's standing still or you are going to stick lift but he will still keep the puck and that's a heavy issue to the game. When there are two or more oppositing players trying to get the puck there is going to be one out of them all who will cleanly pick it up just like if you weren't there, there won't be any stick collision or puck collision. It feels sometimes that your stick went through the puck and the puck didn't even move.

Cutscenes: The biggest problem with cutscenes is probably the same old stanley cup celebration with many stupid, unrealistic or dumb mimics that players will do and the fact that you can't hold the stanley cup and enjoy your time on the ice with it after you win the playoffs. But there are also other issues.

A) Stanley Cup celebration.

B) Player's teeth protector: I think that NHL 18 might be the right time to bring the teeth protectors to the game. You had this in NBA Live 16 so why not NHL too. Players would play with them when they would be waiting for the face off to start or when they are on the bench as well. This would be neccessary to combine with addition of new more reasonable player mimics. For example when there is a player on the bench, he might be shaking his head really like *. I don't want to be offensive here but It really looks to me like that the player isn't even in the game or he doesn't even watch the game on the bench. Or when someone scores they are immediately smilling but in real life hockey not everyone is immediately smilling, some are even screaming but in NHL 17 yet they will do their celebration and then just start smilling with the other guy hugging them.

C) Players skating into boards or immediately stopping and turning away durring the short face off intermissions: When there is an offside or goalie covers the puck, the cutscene starts and the camera is on the players. The player movement, their focus on which way to head seems very glitchy and buggy. They are skating into boards, they start skating and then immediately stop and it looks all comic, their animations are not clean. There are a lot of times when they immediately change the dirrection they are facing. It just feels unrealistic and draws the great feeling of the game away. One of the most unrealistic things in the game is player bench. When the line changes they immediately hump on different spot on the bench and it's very bad looking.

D) Player interactions: I would like to see more player interactions with each other on the bench or on the ice. To see them talking to each other, maybe even pointing with their hand on something just so you feel like they are really talking and you would feel they are really there. They would talk together abit when the face off is coming for example.

Other small but important things:

A) Tipping the goal in: There should be specific control button for tipping the puck in the net. Players should be looking on the puck carrier and try to tip it in the net instead of letting it be all automatic. That the game decides when the player is going to tip the shot.

B) Commentators: We could get rid of some stupid speech Mike Emrick says durring the play however the things they say with Eddie before the game launches are very well made and I rarely get a feeling of repetitiveness. That's a plus and it shouldn't be changed except being even better.

C) Rebounds: When there is a player who shot the puck to the goalie's pad and the puck stays close to it there is going to be an issue for a player to hit the puck. Simply when the puck is too close to the goalie, players won't hit the puck and shoot it which is because of again that goalie barrier I believe.

D) Winter Classic stadiums

E) Some new EASHL reasons to play: Like sticks with their own stats, gloves that would add to your fighting skill. Skates that could improve your speed but descrease your agility. It would be up to you what would you build from the equipment available. It wouldn't be pay to win. But players could choose what stat they want to push which would be reasonable for their specific kind of play. Like the defenseman would get more defense stats from the equipment and so on. There might be some system with packs like there is one in HUT to get all the equipment. But the differences would be still minor. Just like synergies in HUT.

F) Player interactions with players: Players getting on the ice durring the begining of each period would be putting hands with the fans at the entrance to the rink just like they do in real life.

G) HUT players being rare again: I don't like how it is easy in NHL 17 to get the best players and I was very dissapointed that such an awesome and fun thing to do like Team Collection was put away. It was so much fun to collect the real copy of teams in HUT, get rewarded and then win the division 1 title against AI with the real copy of any team. It was way more fun than playing playoff mode for example because you had those divisions where you could get rewarded with something (coins) and play for the real team against real nhl teams. It was also very hard sometimes to win so it was nicely challenging. This year I almost haven't even touched single player seasons.

H) HUT Seasons: They are great adition to game but they should be more rare and happen only once per month in my opinion.

I) HUT Divisions: There should be salary cap restrictions on different types of divisions. This would balance teams and you would build the team that fits you for the maximum salary you could use instead of building 94 overall team and then destroy every opponent with it. In this case you would have to use also weaker players with lower salaries and I believe this would be a lot of fun. There would never happen again that someone would have full 94 overall team and play against some casual who didn't spend so much on game. Except* I think making a "Division Platinum" for no restriction brawl which the game would ask you if you want to continue to Division Platinum after you win Division 1 would make it better. In Division Platinum there would be bigger rewards (coins) than in division 1 but there could happen that you would face someone with 94 overall team and you would have your 88 overall for example. I would really like to see salary caps in online divisions. I don't like when the game wants you to have at least 3 bronze,3 silver players. I don't like that. You should choose by your self if you are going to buy best players and then buy bronze 4th line. Or make a team consisting of pretty much balanced all golden players. This would totally make everyone happy I believe. Just think about how many people do complain on your social media sites that they hate when they meet someone who bought their team for xy$$$. I don't believe that anyone wouldn't like this.

J) 5-man celebrations

So thank you EA SPORTS for putting your time reading my wishlist which really isn't a wishlist. I just wanted to show you which way I think you guys should head, which way I believe that NHL series might get back to it's glory like it was before next gen. I love hockey and I know you do too. But you just don't know what to do when hundreds of people all complain about different things and damn everyone from your small studio like bunch of selfish people and I believe it's pretty much chaos before each year. I don't want you to put all these things in next installment. I just wanted to show you what priorities I believe you might have in next installment and I'm going to be very happy if some things from this list are really going to be in next NHL 18 Standard smile)))). Thank you one more time really really much for reading this and I really really much hope that you liked it and that you are going to agree with my opinions.

Message 3 of 17 (13,486 Views)

Community Manager

@PhoenixRed96@gavinjmyers

Quality feedback, thread stickied.

barry.png
Message 4 of 17 (13,476 Views)

Anonymous

You get a gameplay out, playable is.
Players do not have the values you want, the gameplay decides which player has the power

Team of the Year:
LV Kris Letang SKT 96 + Team speed
• Bonuses: +3 for acceleration, agility and speed for your entire team

Of which one remembers nothing.

I think that the whole synergy nix counts, as well, if you have so special players.
What counts is the sale of such parcels

The dollar is rolling

Message 5 of 17 (13,453 Views)

★ Apprentice
Amazing thread here

Been playing since nhlpa 93

Loved nhl on pc
Have enjoyed platform ps2/3/4

Hate the financial cost of online

Been addicted to be a gm/franchise modes

These two previous posts are on point

We the fan base especially classic gm mode players loved how the old school format was utilized
Increasing the franchise within coaching staff spending ...scouting upgrades and facility upgrades ...that's now shifted towards concession sales and ticket sales now and that doesn't help the franchise progression
(Mlb the show coaching / scouting hiring/firing can change a teams development and success rate dramatic ly

Love the relocation feature

Game Play is awesome as far as player detail and animations. Evolution throughout the years have been unbelievable

Celebration and interactions would be appreciated if they had more variety

Love the milestone commentary

Would love to hear Joe Bowen in the game before we loose this icon
Maybe a Hockey night in Canada featuring Don and Ron ???

Really would like to see roster sharing come back
Having a community roster vault, team vault, logo vault and individual created player vault (mlb the show) amazing feature

The classic rosters option for each team would have to be the greatest idea Nhl2k did something close to this idea and it really stood out back in the day
I'm not the only when I say I'd love to see my heros growing up in the new video games of today
I just can't afford to buy them in HUT and still not have them in the game offline ....

I also really like the Merge Rosters feature
It re enters the created players into the new roster update. ...I'd really like to see Edited players be included into Merge Rosters ...it's really time consuming to edited one teams players attributes/position...let alone a league or the entire chl

The player moral is an amazing feature added but it's a bit aggressive. It's very easy to have at least 2 players demand a trade but unfortunately it's all stars never disposable players so to speak...maybe attention towards minor league players wanting nhl ice time is a more common theme than a capitan demanding trades from a Stanley Cup championship team

Individual player training would be a nice feature ...it helps develope players weaker areas or help players snap a streak by concentrating on the areas the players are struggling in

Team practice type was also a great way to develop a team overall
Bag skating , shooting skills, passing drills, breakout practice ...days off on back to back

Team and player goals
A nice interactive tool which keeps tasks in franchise mode and can corolate/contribute to contract years ....

Contract negotiations
Arbitration would be a nice feature to negotiate
Having player goals and team goals would help bring salary expectations to a fair decision

Also having league player comparison involved
In negotiations
Ie if a player wants X $amount ..He should have scored at least X amount of points
The same amount of points as examples
Player#1 pts vs salary
player#2 pts vs salary
player#3 pts vs salary

Finally it be awesome if negotiations could be done anytime throughout the season ...extending a players contract in Feb could improve players and team moral

Would like to see Goalie Helmets be editable
Using the layers feature
Or maybe having 50 custom pre made helmets (non licensed) available in 30 team color variations

Another great improvement would be utilizing nhl and chl scouting reports in regards to north American and European prospects
Hockeysfutures. Com and elite prospects are actually written by scouts across the league and world
Simple A B C rankings in regards to ability and potential in all areas of skills in the game

In all I've played hockey since I was 4 until 18
The EA sports nhl series has allowed me to play hockey late at night after a hard day work and raising kids ..kept me out of trouble many a night lol
It's been a blast growing up on hockey
Having this game evolve is actually insane over 20 years

Just please remember we started together offline
And nobody loves retro players more than retro EA players ....having the legends offline would be epic

And the ability to have a large variety of goalie masks with team oriented colors similar to the goalie equipment added this year ...
And if EA designed them ...There would be no rights or royalties ...And you can't tell me the developers wouldn't have a blast
If not interested let the fans submit

Have a great year
Thanks EA Sports
Message 6 of 17 (13,448 Views)

★★★ Newbie

It would be nice if you made a "be a ref mode". Like a Career And in all Modes.

It would be cool In Be a pro mode to see your locker rooms.

Message 7 of 17 (13,413 Views)

★ Apprentice
I've started a twitter and Facebook #WeWantClassicRosters
Check it out it has links to all offline forums

The idea is that we have classic rosters as Download Content
DLC
Affiliate with NHLPA and NHL alumni
Message 8 of 17 (13,322 Views)

Message 9 of 17 (13,316 Views)

★★ Guide

PC port with crossplay and feature parity.

Message 10 of 17 (13,290 Views)