Re: Game can't establish and maintain 60 FPS on PC

by jpwiseguy

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Game can't establish and maintain 60 FPS on PC

★★★★★ Newbie

I cannot run the game in constant 60 FPS.

I have a GTX 1080 Ti with 32 GB RAM and i7 7700k therefore I had no issues with other NFS games (except Rivals and The Run which have also an FPS limitation).

I find it really annoying, I even reduced the resolution from 4K to Full HD, even set the graphics from Ultra to Low but still the same result, can't have a constant 60 FPS, I usually start at 55 and get to 40.

This is totally embarassing for a game "remastered".

Can you please let me know what can I do to force the FPS not to drop below 60?

Message 1 of 7 (1,280 Views)

Accepted Solution
Highlighted

★★★ Novice

Are you using MSI Afterburner (or any other frame rate monitoring apps) by chance?

I had the same exact problem that you're describing, drops to 50, 55 FPS every few seconds that introduced stuttering, and it happened no matter what settings I used.

Then I opened up MSI Afterburner, disabled "Apply Settings On Startup", disabled it from starting up with Windows completely, restarted my system without any trace of it... now the game runs at a perfectly solid 60FPS and never moves.

Smooth as silk. 1440p, max settings, V-SYNC on.

View in thread

Message 3 of 7 (1,250 Views)

All Replies

★★★★ Novice
@corneliubaba RTX 3080, 16Gb RAM and i5 9600k @4.7Ghz here, running at 4k I have a constant 60fps, which I did expect but I would also expect you to be able to run it in similar settings. Have you tried 1440p? Dropping to 1080p actually introduces more bottlenecking, putting more load on the CPU than the GPU.
Message 2 of 7 (1,256 Views)
Highlighted

★★★ Novice

Are you using MSI Afterburner (or any other frame rate monitoring apps) by chance?

I had the same exact problem that you're describing, drops to 50, 55 FPS every few seconds that introduced stuttering, and it happened no matter what settings I used.

Then I opened up MSI Afterburner, disabled "Apply Settings On Startup", disabled it from starting up with Windows completely, restarted my system without any trace of it... now the game runs at a perfectly solid 60FPS and never moves.

Smooth as silk. 1440p, max settings, V-SYNC on.

Message 3 of 7 (1,251 Views)

★★★ Novice

I had the same problem when I first started it up, constantly around 55fps with my CPU and GPU practically asleep (RTX3080). Restarting it seemed to get me a constant 60fps but the frame pacing is bad so it still doesn't feel smooth. Really disappointed. Seems like there's something wrong with the v-sync/frame cap.

Message 4 of 7 (1,234 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

Good old restart fixed the problem... kind of Standard smile Once or twice per race it drops to 30 or even lower but just for 1-2 sec... I can live with that Standard smile

Message 5 of 7 (1,199 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

so the game wasn't tested with standard pc software running in the background. 

why am I not surprised.

it's just another console port.  

Message 6 of 7 (1,173 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

Had some success smoothing things out by using Prefer Max Performance in a custom nvidia profile and using a 60fps lock in RTSS.

Message 7 of 7 (1,140 Views)