game won't launch in steam

by Dracosius

Original Post

game won't launch in steam

★ Novice

So I bought NSF:HEAT through Steam and after almost six hours of hangups and missing dll's (on steam's end... don't get me started) I finally got the game ready to launch. Upon pressing the 'play' button, it opens the Origin app which then tells me that the game doesn't appear to be installed.  I poked around and told Origin where the game was installed but it still doesn't recognize that it's there - it just tells me to download or restart the game.

Is there some way to remedy this?  I bought the game with high anticipation but after a very long night of technical issues I'm left only with disappointment and defeat.  Any help regarding this issue would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you.

Message 1 of 5 (3,378 Views)

Re: game won't launch in steam

★★★ Newbie

I have a very similar problem, I purchased the game through steam and it is download both through steam and origin. But when I try to launch the game my steam name will light up green that I am in game then go right back to blue. I tried validating the files, backing up the files, launching through origin, disabling my virus protection (other online recommendations) and ect ect. I really do not want to refund the game, so I feel your pain as well. 

Message 2 of 5 (3,302 Views)

EA DICE Team

Hey @LDBmomentumLDB  @Dracosius can you try clearing Origin cache and see if that helps. 

/Atic 

Message 3 of 5 (3,288 Views)

★ Novice

So, to update:  I got the game working shortly after posting this issue - had to delete the steam copy and download/reinstall through the origin app so that origin would recognize the steam purchase.  A bit of a hassle, but ultimately this worked to resolve my issue.  At least until the recent origin app update.  Now for some reason it fails to recognize the game is already installed.  I went to click the download button to reinstall heat through the origin app (as this resolved my issue once before), only this time I get the same error: "sorry, it looks like need for speed heat deluxe edition isn't installed."  So now, not only can I not play it, I can't even download it again to fix it the way I did the first time.

And yes, I've cleared my cache.  I've restarted the pc, the app, the launcher; I've tried starting the game through steam (no controller plugged in), through origin, from the shortcut on my desktop - they all bring me back to origin's inability to play in the sandbox with others.

It's sad that a $75 purchase can't be enjoyed.  On a slightly related note, how does one request a refund?  In my case, probably through steam... but with the way things are going, they won't recognize my origin game was ever purchased...

Message 4 of 5 (3,229 Views)

★★★ Newbie
@Dracosius EA Origins is complete and utter trash!! I don’t understand why single player games bought on Steam have to also go through their servers AND need to have be online. AND they forcefully download their app to your PC!! Just buy your games from GOG. And if EA titles aren’t there, well EA puts out trash games anyway. It’s a shame they force you to a billion steps just play an offline game. F*** EA
Message 5 of 5 (1,629 Views)