Re: NFS Heat button layout

by ismejacks

Original Post

NFS Heat button layout

★★ Apprentice

Good Afternoon,

First of all, good job on NFS Heat! I am really surprised by how good it turned out - no offense - and how close it comes to how I pictured an Underground 3.

BUT:

Didnt somebody test the game with manual transmission enabled? As soon as you leave the garage you should notice how awful it is to have "shift up" also be bound to same button as entering the garage... Even more frustrating is bribing the cops while downshifting or accidentally entering a race that was set up by another player by shifting up again.

I saw quite a few people complaining and claiming it would be easy to implement custom controls or change the button layout - I dont know much about coding so I dont know if its in fact THAT easy, but I know that once my month of Origin Access is over I wont buy NFS Heat until this is fixed and Im surely not alone :/ 

I hope this is relevant enough for you guys to adress, the hype is real Standard smile 

Message 1 of 82 (57,233 Views)

★★ Apprentice

Yeah this game's controller layout is designed by some lazy psycho who don't even try their own game, the shift up and down is the most stupid i ever seen in a racing game, what's more they don't even let us customize or have some preset type option.

Message 2 of 82 (57,180 Views)

★ Apprentice

Yeah, I just got back to my garage after a night out, would have made it to level 10. BUT; I accidentally bribed two cops and lost about 20 grand and I'm still level 9. I'm Pretty unimpressed with the lack of control schemes to say the absolute least. 

Message 3 of 82 (57,159 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Guide

Up - Accelerate
Left - Steer Left
Right - Steer Right
Space - Brake
A - Hand brake

D - Gear up
S - Gear down

Z - Look Left
C - Look Right
X - Look back
W - Beep

Shift - Nitro

Ctrl - App active item (B default)

Alt - Cam change

Message 4 of 82 (57,131 Views)

★★ Apprentice

Thanks for the suggestion, I prefer auto transmission to playing with the keyboard tho.

I also tried to remap the keyboard keys to check whether or not the button layout for the controller would change accordingly - sadly it did not.

Im just gonna remain hopeful that this attracts enough attention to get fixed... 

Message 5 of 82 (56,909 Views)

★★★ Newbie
@GUCCIxADIDAS I think this was more about controller layout, which sucks. I don't know about playing with the keyboard, it seems so weird after playing with a controller for so long, i'll give it a go with your bindings though.
Message 6 of 82 (56,385 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

If you use steam, you can use that to configure your game pad (Xbox, PS4 or Steam controller).

You can move things around on the controller. There is still the issue of down shift and enter shop using the same button.

I use a steam controller, and I swapped the A and X with LB and RB. That lets me shift gears like on xbox. Only complaint I have about that is you now have to select with LB. But I'm ok with that.

Also, you have to run steam big picture mode so it can convince NFS you have an Xbox controller connected.

You could probably use any other controller config software that lets you modify the controller like that. I don't have any experience with that though.

Cool thing is that you can even map keyboard keys to any button. Maybe use the notepad edit for that NFS file and bind those keys to the controller.

Hopefully it will be fixed. Modern game with no in-depth controller configuration or at least profiles is not good.

Hope that helps.

Message 7 of 82 (56,001 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice
@NoctazZzZ My issue with automatic transmission is that it does not down shift...I guess I am too used to clutch and paddle shifter on my G29
Message 8 of 82 (55,975 Views)

★★★ Newbie

So far everything seems great about the game I agree but wow who put the shift buttons there this is a must change or at least give options so you can switch it around

Message 9 of 82 (55,908 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

so your saying you cant change the button config on your gamepad in nfs heat? becuase my horn go off everytime i use the thumb stick to drive it clicks when im turning and i would like to map the horn to a different button

Message 10 of 82 (55,735 Views)