Re: is it worth it to buy the mass effect Legendary edition

by Fred_vdp

Original Post

is it worth it to buy the mass effect Legendary edition

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

Just wondering if should invest money into to this. 

Is the game ultimately an improvement does is gameplay better...

If this is a good idea... i probably won't be getting it until next January (mainly moving August, September, or possibly October... 

I don't have money to buy it at the moment, holding onto money until after the move.

(if lucky, i may be able to get it after Christmas)

Message 1 of 25 (3,781 Views)

Champion (Retired)
Hi @Scarhunter75

If you loved the original versions of the series and you can take advantage of the updated textures then absolutely.
Plus by the time it comes to you buying the legendary edition I’m sure the price would have dropped.

Message 2 of 25 (3,756 Views)

Hero

I guess we'll know it when it comes out. Most remasters I've played were very good (e.g. Monkey Island, Full Throttle), but sometimes a remaster doesn't offer all that much improvement (e.g. Bioshock, Kingdoms of Amalur). Time will tell in which category Mass Effect fits.

They did promise gameplay improvements in the first game in particular. I think it may also be a good upgrade for people with modern AMD CPUs because they're fixing the compatibility issues in the first game. For console users, the increased resolution and framerate are also a big plus, because the Mass Effect trilogy had trouble maintaining 30 fps. I think it's also good for new players who want to try the series. 

CCP Hero Banner - Red.png

Message 3 of 25 (3,733 Views)

It will most likely be well worth it, especially if you don't currently own the trilogy since you will get all three games, and all DLC(except pinnacle station) for about the same price as a single game of ME2 and DLC....  The good news for you is you will have plenty of time to look at the game after release and decide, and hopefully shop for a sale. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am NOT an EA employee, I am just a simple gamer like most everyone else here volunteering my help to those who may can use it .....That means I have to pay for my games just like you, lol.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 4 of 25 (3,710 Views)

★ Guide

From what I've seen so far, there are mostly visual changes.
But I haven't been keeping my eyes on news too much recently. 

Spoiler
(( I think I ended up buying 4 versions of Mass Effect1 throughout the years . . . Even with it's few and far between flaws; I loved ME1 the most. It lacked obvious gimmicks and was more dedicated to being a distinctly sci-fi experience. ))
If they're not going to change much about the game/s other than visual and mechanical smoothness, I'm not sure that I'll grab a copy of Legendary.
The original clunky controls never really bothered me. . . And my eyesight (these days) isn't going to appreciate the uplifted facemask the game's graphics will be getting to it's full potential. 

There were some issues that I took with the original first Mass Effect's lack of female NPC distribution. ((There were no female Salarian, Krogan, Volus, Hanar or Elcore (though I'm not sure I'd even be able to tell, with those last two) . . .  in ME1 - which impacted my emersion.))
It was an issue that only seemed to be later addressed, particularly in (the original) Mass Effect: Andromeda. Where I could "People watch" the npcs - I was happily surprised to hear one of the Salarians I suspected was another male actually had a female's voice. 

"People watching" in Mass Effect1 is different. The NPCs are more static and less talkative then in later games. But I still enjoy running around and seeing if any are in unique poses which could tell an unspoken story.  There used to be these two Asari I could witness on the Citadel, who stood out in particular because of how they were statically posed. (Peering out into the vast emptiness of space together, in restful and trusting of one another postures.) 
So unless I hear any news of the Mass Effect 1's NPCs getting a bit of extra details added to their nature/convos/etc, I'll re-evaluate my need to indulge Shepard's shore leave creeper tendencies.  

Otherwise, the lack of anything fresh, and the further step of multiplayer being removed from ME3 makes the Legendary Edition/s a pass for me. 
I'll try to stay tuned for any updates that make it more of a worth while pursuit though. 

As for if you should get it... What were your favorite aspects about Mass Effect games? 
If you want to engage the in the improved combat then the legendary version might bring some enjoyment for you. 
It's mostly seems as a great opportunity for new players to try a deeply story rich sci-fi game they might not have experienced before.

Message 5 of 25 (3,699 Views)

★★★★ Expert
@Dvveebo I'm interested, but unsure. I'm hoping they've fixed a number of bugs like the Conrad Verner import bug from ME1 to ME2, the "roundabout" method of importing your saves anyway...

If they upgraded the graphics, I imagine ME1 would benefit the most as those are a bit ancient now, and ME3 benefiting the least.

I'm just really hoping they'll upgrade the character creator. It was always one of the worst I've ever seen. I'm sure they never "upgraded" it before to retain backwards compatibility between all 3.

More than likely it'll be exactly the same. Same bugs, just upgraded graphics and UI. This IS EA after all.
Message 6 of 25 (3,673 Views)

Community Manager

@Psychotps
I hear you regarding Conrad as I typically run the Paragon options and seeing him revert to the Renegade choice in ME2 was always a bit odd to be sure. Though the callback and reasoning for that in ME3 was interesting. That said, there are a number of bugs being fixed, actually!

While there aren't many specific mentions of which individual bugs are being addressed, the Project Director does have a number of tweets clarifying many bugs are being fixed, among other things. That's aside from the gameplay tweaks and other modifications, including updated character creation, so there's certainly a bit more work going into this than just upgrading the graphics. Standard smile

Personal mileage may vary of course depending on one's prior experience with the trilogy and what they're looking to get out of the Legendary Edition, but it's definitely worth keeping an eye out to see how things shape up as we get closer to release.

Mako.png
Message 7 of 25 (3,655 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Expert

@EA_Mako

Well, that sounds just great! The older version does run pretty well. The Conrad bug I was able to fix with the Gibbed editor. Only a few bugs here and there.

The only thing I'm REALLY looking forward to is seeing how the Mako runs. I REALLY love ME1, but the Mako always frustrates me to no end. I can't tell you how many times I've sworn to hunt down and strangle the person who created it.

I'm really going to miss Pinnacle though. It's really the only way to get all level 10 gear. That'll be darn near impossible without it.

I still won't be playing the ending of ME3 though. Can't bring myself to do it. Finished it once. Only once. Back when it first came out. Got me so upset I snapped my PS3 disk in half. Couldn't even play any of them for over a year. Even now, I can't bring myself to finish it. The ending is just... bad.

Message 8 of 25 (3,612 Views)

@Psychotps 

LOL, I didn't snap a disk in half, but I can barely play any of the original trilogy with ME1 being the easiest of them to get into.  I can play ME:Andromeda and like it, but the ending of ME3 just grates so bad it soured me on the game.....I want MELE to come out but I will be ending the game run just before going to Earth again.

I have heard many people hate on the Mako, but as a PC player I didn't find it that bad.  I did figure out how to read the land and map to figure out how to drive where they wanted you too, to make it easy to get around.  I hated the ME2 craft much more, if for no other reason than the silliness of it's design and effects....you could actually kill the heavy Geth mechs by landing on their backs twice.....or shoot them like 50 times....So a craft that could be killed in two shots, can run under the legs of a Geth heavy mech, launch up with boosters, come down on it's back and kill it quicker and safer than shooting at it....

I am NOT an EA employee, I am just a simple gamer like most everyone else here volunteering my help to those who may can use it .....That means I have to pay for my games just like you, lol.
Message 9 of 25 (3,599 Views)

★★★★ Expert
@mcsupersport

Lol, yea. I was the same way for ages. The ending of ME3 ruined the entire series for me for ages. I was like, "Why play ME1 and 2 if it's only going to end like that?"

Now, I can sorta "forget" about it for the majority of the playthrough. But once I get to that final mission... I lose all willingness to play. I usually end the game right after Citadel.

Well, regarding the Mako, I'm a bit of a completionist. I have to get ALL the mining locations and such so I have to drive over the worst mountains to get them because they ALWAYS put them right at the top.

Hammerhead is a bit less annoying. I hate the delay in the jumpjets and it's incredibly short lifetime. Not very reactive at all.

Being a completionist is kinda why the lack of Pinnacle is bumming me out. I can get all level 10 gear on a brand-new ME1 playthrough every time with it. I'm good... and I really don't see how I'll get to level 10 gear without it. Frown
Message 10 of 25 (3,592 Views)

ea-play-promo-splash

What's EA Play?

New name, new look, same great benefits: EA Access and Origin Access are now EA Play.

Get more info on the change here.

ea-help-promo-3

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View more on EA Help