Will the legendary edition be playable on Windows 8.1?

by kaidan_trash

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Will the legendary edition be playable on Windows 8.1?

★★★ Newbie

The specs on the Origin website only say Windows 10, but will the the legendary edition also be playable on Windows 8.1?

Message 1 of 11 (4,216 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Will the legendary edition be playable on Windows 8.1?

Community Manager

Hey @kaidan_trash,

As you noted, the system requirements do specify Windows 10 as the minimum required operating system to play the game.

Below that I'm afraid we can't guarantee how well the game may perform, or whether it would even run.

Mako.png

View in thread

Message 2 of 11 (4,181 Views)

All Replies

Community Manager

Hey @kaidan_trash,

As you noted, the system requirements do specify Windows 10 as the minimum required operating system to play the game.

Below that I'm afraid we can't guarantee how well the game may perform, or whether it would even run.

Mako.png
Message 2 of 11 (4,182 Views)

★★★★★ Guide

I've played many of EAs newer games that say they need Windows 10 even thought they only use DX11, and they ran just fine out of the box perfectly on both Windows 7 and 8.1 so i expect this one to work just fine aswell. But there's no way to know for sure until someone tries it, i personally do not plan on picking this remastered edition up so that's for someone else to test. Steam should refund you if your playtime isn't over 2 hrs if it doesn't work.

Message 3 of 11 (4,122 Views)

★★★★ Novice

I can confirm, that you cannot play it on windows 8.1 or lower.  The game will not run, as a required set of files from Windows 10 are needed for it to run, and they are not backwards compatible files.

Message 4 of 11 (3,370 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

Come on, man!  Windows 10 was a free upgrade and is a great OS.

Message 5 of 11 (3,365 Views)

★★ Guide

Windows upgrade promotion is ended but the connections are still active and the licence upgrade is still valid. Beside, as @PSUHammer  mentioned, it is great OS.

Message 6 of 11 (3,310 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

@sweetpoison0011There are ways around that. If you get the Windows USB media tool, all it wants is your existing OS key. I have reinstalled Windows with this tool a number of times already. May not work for OEM versions of Windows.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-in/software-download/windows10

Message 7 of 11 (3,289 Views)

★★ Guide

It works even for OEM and/or factory default OS key. Also works with windows update tool but USB version allows you to install 64 bit even if your original 7/8/8/1 was 32 bit.

Message 8 of 11 (3,278 Views)

★★★ Novice

I have tried and tried and tried to update to windows 10 and each and every time I get a new and different install error and the same exact work around that also does not work. I have been trying to update since well before the free update period ended. Short of buying a new computer, which I cannot afford, windows 10 is not apparently an option for me and I can’t imagine I’m the only one who can’t get the bloody thing to work. 

Message 9 of 11 (3,217 Views)

★★★★★ Guide

I think this thread should be focused on actually solving OPs problem the proper way (getting the game to run on 8.1) instead of talking about windows 10. I don't have the game so i can't test but where i can i'll try to help anyone whos willing to try.

Message 10 of 11 (3,183 Views)

ea-play-promo-splash

What's EA Play?

New name, new look, same great benefits: EA Access and Origin Access are now EA Play.

Get more info on the change here.

ea-help-promo-3

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View more on EA Help