V-Sync capping framerate at 60 fps how to workaround

by DeejeyCris

Original Post

Accepted Solution

V-Sync capping framerate at 60 fps how to workaround

★★★ Newbie

Hello everyone, I need V-Sync enabled to avoid tearing/stuttering with my monitor, but when I enable it either in-game or in Nvidia control panel, my fps are capped at 60 instead of 97 (as in the Nvidia control panel)... how do I unlock my framerate with V-Sync on? That only happens with this game.

Message 1 of 5 (5,334 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: V-Sync capping framerate at 60 fps how to workaround

@DeejeyCris  Vertical sync will lock your framerates to the refresh rate of your monitor, so if your monitor is running at 60 Hz, you'll get a limit of 60 fps with v-sync enabled.  This is unavoidable based on why v-sync works the way it does and isn't fixable, as in, you can't get the benefits of v-sync without the fps limit.

If your monitor doesn't run faster than 60 Hz, you could try the "fast" option for v-sync in the Nvidia Control Panel: this allows the game to run at up to double your monitor's refresh rate.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.

View in thread

Message 2 of 5 (5,304 Views)

All Replies

@DeejeyCris  Vertical sync will lock your framerates to the refresh rate of your monitor, so if your monitor is running at 60 Hz, you'll get a limit of 60 fps with v-sync enabled.  This is unavoidable based on why v-sync works the way it does and isn't fixable, as in, you can't get the benefits of v-sync without the fps limit.

If your monitor doesn't run faster than 60 Hz, you could try the "fast" option for v-sync in the Nvidia Control Panel: this allows the game to run at up to double your monitor's refresh rate.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 2 of 5 (5,305 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Hi setting the "fast" option seems to have done the trick, thanks a lot!

Message 3 of 5 (5,229 Views)

★★ Novice

I know this comes almost 2 years too late but heads up I fixed this by changing my display settings in Nvidia control panel. On my gaming monitor under display/change resolution it was set to 1920x1080 (native) which had a refresh rate of 50-60hz but I scrolled down to PC and found the same resolution but it allowed me to set the monitor's rate to it's max of 144hz.

Message 4 of 5 (4,298 Views)

@Supratonic 

You can only set the refresh rate to 144Hz because your monitor can display 144Hz, not because every monitor can.

A monitor that has a refresh rate of 144Hz refreshes the display 144 times in a second, meaning it display 144 frames in one second. (And not one more. Tongue out)

As @puzzlezaddict correctly stated Vsync (in difference to Fast Sync.) simply means that the games frame rate is synchronizes to the refreshes rate of the monitor = the number of frames the monitor can display in a second.
That on the other hand means there won't be any additional frames in the pipeline = no screen tearing.

Vsync on your monitor will cap the frame-rate of a game to 144, OPs Monitor can only display 60 frames per seconds so Vsync will cap the frame-rate of a game to 60.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This is a players helping players forum, I don't work for EA.
Dies ist ein Spieler helfen Spielern Forum, ich arbeite nicht für EA.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Death closes all: but something ere the end, Some work of noble note, may yet be done, Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods.
Ulysses - Alfred, Lord Tennyson
Message 5 of 5 (4,284 Views)

ea-play-promo-splash

What's EA Play?

New name, new look, same great benefits: EA Access and Origin Access are now EA Play.

Get more info on the change here.

ea-help-promo-3

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View more on EA Help