Re: Update deletes my launcher (June 7th)

by holger1405

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Update deletes my launcher (June 7th)

★★ Novice

I had to use the custom launcher from Nexus to be able to play at all, but kept a backup version of the original launcher.exe.

For the update, I deleted the custom .exe and put the original back in place. I noticed that I still couldn't launch the game after the update.

I looked into my files and saw that the original launcher.exe was gone for some reason.

Then I noticed how the "repair" option put temporary download files for the launcher into the folder only to not download the file.

I then tried to put the custom launcher into the folder and repair again. And again, Origin wants to download the launcher, doesn't do it but rather deletes the existing file.

It seems that Origin tries to replace the existing launcher file but only deletes the old one without putting a new one into its place.

Well, back to custom launcher it is.

Message 1 of 7 (505 Views)

Accepted Solution

@MetroWinter  A number of antivirus programs block Sims 4 by default these days.  Sophos is the biggest offender, and it affects the MELE too, but others include Avast and AVG, Bullguard, McAfee... I'm probably forgetting a few.  Point is, if you run a third-party antivirus, try disabling it and then repairing: the repair would put back any files the antivirus quarantined.  With Sophos, you might have to take additional steps, as described here for Sims 4:

https://crinrict.com/blog/2020/10/add-exceptions-to-anti-virus-programs.html/#sophos

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.

View in thread

Message 6 of 7 (362 Views)

All Replies

★★ Novice

So I had the same issue (posted it below) and I just resolved it by doing a Steam integrity check. That fixed my issue - no need for the other launcher!

Message 2 of 7 (488 Views)

★★ Novice
@Sjado I bought it over Origin and as I said, the repair option didn't do it for me.

I reinstalled the game and all files where there. However, I still am not able to launch the game with the original launcher. So, I have to keep using the custom launcher.

Interesting enough, the custom launcher exists to bypass the AVX problem which the current update should have fixed. (Plus, I am using a Intel 10700k, so it shouldn't be a problem either way). Still, it only works with the custom launcher for me.
Message 3 of 7 (441 Views)

@MetroWinter 

Try to disable "Origin in game".
Other overlay software such as Discord or Afterburner with Riva tuner could also cause this problem.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This is a players helping players forum, I don't work for EA.
Dies ist ein Spieler helfen Spielern Forum, ich arbeite nicht für EA.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Death closes all: but something ere the end, Some work of noble note, may yet be done, Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods.
Ulysses - Alfred, Lord Tennyson
Message 4 of 7 (408 Views)

★★ Novice
@holger1405 Thanks for your answer. Sadly, this didn't do it for me either. I also found out that Sims 4 has the same problem. Other games, however, such as Titanfall 1 +2, seem to work normally.
Message 5 of 7 (380 Views)

@MetroWinter  A number of antivirus programs block Sims 4 by default these days.  Sophos is the biggest offender, and it affects the MELE too, but others include Avast and AVG, Bullguard, McAfee... I'm probably forgetting a few.  Point is, if you run a third-party antivirus, try disabling it and then repairing: the repair would put back any files the antivirus quarantined.  With Sophos, you might have to take additional steps, as described here for Sims 4:

https://crinrict.com/blog/2020/10/add-exceptions-to-anti-virus-programs.html/#sophos

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 6 of 7 (363 Views)

★★ Novice
@puzzlezaddict You are a hero! I actually use Sophos. Because I already added exceptions for real-time scans through the web interface, I thought that this would be enough. I didn't even know that you could add local exceptions until you sent the link.

I was kinda worried, because nothing showed up in the interface when I added the launcher.exe as an exception (but Origin.exe showed up normally). I didn't get an error message either, however, so I just pulled through.

After 50 hours and 90% through ME2, I finally saw the Legendary Edition Launcher for the first time. It is beautiful!

And to think that I spend 3 hours today chatting and talking to the poor EA customer service...
Message 7 of 7 (355 Views)

ea-play-promo-splash

What's EA Play?

New name, new look, same great benefits: EA Access and Origin Access are now EA Play.

Get more info on the change here.

ea-help-promo-3

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View more on EA Help