[PC] Possible workarounds for Mass Effect Legendary Edition launch problems.

by holger1405

Original Post

Re: Posible workarounds for Mass Effect Legendary Edition launch problems.

★★★ Apprentice

Message 41 of 449 (5,132 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Apprentice

@0303TAKMsame here, tried almost all of what you've listed, still, the only thing that works is launcher. I guess it might be easier to wait for the fix to be released unless there's something absolutely unobvious to be done.

Message 42 of 449 (5,226 Views)

★★ Apprentice

@Suriah wrote:

I found an article saying that the game won't work if your cpu doesn't support AVX instructions. For those of us with i7's...the only way for us to fix this is to get a new cpu. I've tried every fix under the sun, and the game just wasn't made for older systems...which is a huge oversight. I've been able to play fairly new games with success including Cyberpunk, Assassin's Creed, and the latest WoW expansion. This is very disappointing.

Back the truck up...SERIOUSLY??? It says i5 minimum, so why should i7 be a problem? Welp, time to try that third-party bypasser thing...this is ridiculous.

Message 43 of 449 (5,168 Views)

★★ Novice

I also had to update the properties on the Origin.exe to "Run as Administrator". After doing so, I got a dialog confirming to "Run in compatibility mode".

I wish I knew why any of this was needed, as I spent $60 via Steam and just want to play a game after a long week. Now, after 2-3 hours of troubleshooting, it's working.

Message 44 of 449 (5,168 Views)

★★ Novice

Thank you for going to the trouble of helping everyone out, second I am running windows 7 so I don't have the same options or settings for changing the region to what you suggested, my only hope now is that Origin or Steam will fix this problem with a patch or update or something.  I do very much appreciate you time and advice so thank you. 

Message 45 of 449 (5,110 Views)

★★ Novice

I've tried pretty much everything you can think of as well as all the recommendations on this thread and others. The one thing that might be causing the problem is something I noticed in the "debug.log" text document inside the steam MELE folder location. Every time the game fails to launch (btw I can't even get to the launcher), it spits out this line in the debug.log: [0515/183839:WARNING:resource_bundle_qt.cpp(114)] locale_file_path.empty() for locale (numbers after 05/15 always change)

This sounds like a problem, but I have of course verified the integrity of the files multiple times, so idk what this is about. The other thing which might be causing problems is flash/shockwave (or the lack thereof), after poking around in the game files I noticed that there are quite a few files that have flash based file extensions.

On one of the threads someone posted what looked like a command prompt function, but I'm not sure how they had implemented it since it didn't run in CMD but according to them it solved their problem.

I am just praying to Lord Gaben that either something works or that EA fixes the disaster of a program that is Origin, or that the game devs come out with a patch to solve these issues... they will right?

Message 46 of 449 (5,107 Views)

Re: Mass Effect Legendary In-Game Crashes

★★ Novice

Update, Mass Effect 3 also crashes about 20 seconds after booting it up. I get the first loading screen and some menu music and then crash.

Message 47 of 449 (4,971 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Newbie
  • Found a fix, for myself at least after some minor crashes in other games. My mass effect opened properly after changing this setting. If you were previously running WIN7/WIN8 your operating system may have automatically changed your native resolution size. I have a 2070 Super.
  • Nvidia control panel, reset every setting to default. It seems that my desktop setting in Desktop size and Position was set to "full-screen" and not "aspect ratio." Make sure your device is running the native for your monitor. Your screen may not look distorted- but the game does not register this.
  • EDIT: I can recreate this issue- switching back to full-screen over aspect ratio indeed causes the game to not open.

Hope this helps some of you, my game is finally functioning after hours of troubleshooting. 

Attached is a screenshot of what I did.
Message 48 of 449 (5,026 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

The solution of changing to Unicode worked for me. My system is in Spanish, so if someone is suffering from the headache that is playing games from non-english speaking countries, I suggest you try this solution first. Thanks a lot, I was about to ask for a refund!

Message 49 of 449 (4,974 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

I'm running a Xeon 5660 and the only way I could get MELE to launch was using dividebyzero's work around:

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Mass-Effect-Legendary-Edition/Mass-Effect-Legendary-Edition-on-Origin-does...

Only tested ME1 and that's running just fine.

Message 50 of 449 (4,943 Views)

ea-play-promo-splash

What's EA Play?

New name, new look, same great benefits: EA Access and Origin Access are now EA Play.

Get more info on the change here.

ea-help-promo-3

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View more on EA Help