[PC] Possible workarounds for Mass Effect Legendary Edition launch problems.

by holger1405

Original Post

Re: Posible workarounds for Mass Effect Legendary Edition launch problems.

★★ Novice
@holger1405

Thanks! It works.

Now to begin the arduous task of re-enabling things and trying to work out what caused the problem. I'll post again if I work it out.
Message 31 of 449 (6,516 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

Yeah, that's what I have. Should I still do the clean boot or...?

Message 32 of 449 (6,516 Views)

[ Edited ]

@Zartagan 

You're welcome!

And yes, it is a arduous task, but wort it for this game imho. 😉

@Suriah 

Which i7 do you have?

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This is a players helping players forum, I don't work for EA.
Dies ist ein Spieler helfen Spielern Forum, ich arbeite nicht für EA.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Death closes all: but something ere the end, Some work of noble note, may yet be done, Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods.
Ulysses - Alfred, Lord Tennyson
Message 33 of 449 (6,502 Views)

★★ Novice
Okay, it looks like it was my VPN (Express VPN).

I tried turning it off before posting since it has caused issues with multiple things but that didn't work. Then, I did the clean boot as suggested and did my tests. Somehow, that messed up my VPN and forced me to do a repair. Now, if I'm connected to it ME fails, but I can disconnect and it works.

So, I guess I would suggest anyone else with issues who is running a VPN do the following in order, since you probably don't want to do without it:
1. Disconnect from your VPN and test.
2. Power-cycle your PC (to fully restart everything), disconnect and test.
3. Repair or reinstall your VPN, then disconnect and test.
4. Disable it in Task Manager to prevent it from starting on boot, reboot and test to confirm you have the same problem I did.

Hope this helps anyone with the same issue as me. All thanks to @holger1405 !

Message 34 of 449 (6,452 Views)

Mass Effect Legendary In-Game Crashes

★★ Novice

I have purchased the game through Steam and have had nothing but problems after about 2 and a half hours of gameplay. Mass Effect continually crashes after launching the cutscene that takes you to the Citadel for the first time. I've heard Jokers quip about taxpayer's money at work more than I care to admit. Mass Effect 2 will launch, however it immediately goes to "Not Responding" and freezes up an entire monitor and I'm unable to do anything. I've tried all kinds of work-arounds, opening the game in windowed mode, freezing my anti-virus while launching the game, and the fix to the region among other tiny fixes I found on various websites.

Message 35 of 449 (6,171 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

@holger1405  "The AVX problem is not Bioware's fault, there are clear minimum system requirements"

And the I7 processors without AVX have enough power to run Mass Effect Legendary twice at the same time.

If Bioware says the game should only work on a Commodore 64, or it should only work with 7x12.5ghz, then it's their fault, it would be their decision.

AVX only is not useful or necessary. See for example cyberpunk.

I'm sure we will get patches for all the problems here in the next few weeks and months. Selling an unfinished product is not customer-friendly (and that with a 15 year old game for full price).

Message 36 of 449 (6,370 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

Hi, thank you so much for your answer. I ejecuted "perform/rel" and they gave me this report. I don't know much about computers, so I think that I put the right file. 

Message 37 of 449 (6,338 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie
  • Performed all the of given tips and advice short of a reinstall. I am on a limited internet data plan and I would prefer not to have to reinstall the game. Have performed a cleanboot, the launcher would open but I receive that black screen before the game closes and I have to task manager the game to take me back to the launcher. 
  • Tried UNICODE/Making another User
  • Disabled Windows Defender
  • Reinstalled Microsoft visual studio C++ (s)
  • Disabled realtek driver
  • Disabled VPN&Bluetooth
  • Disabled CFA
  • Updated all drivers short of BIOS/UEFI
  • Windows 10 64-bit build 19042

Attached is a DXDIAG, let me know if I missed anything. I've spent the last 100 minutes trying to fix this on my own and would like some more opinions. I've read through the DXDIAG and looked at the errors for MassEffect.exe, but I don't know what they mean. 

Message 38 of 449 (6,322 Views)

[ Edited ]

@HazalGC98 

Thanks for that.

Would you please also create the DxDiag in text file form. It is the more significant log.

@0303TAKM 

Does that mean that outside of the clean boot the launcher does not open?

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This is a players helping players forum, I don't work for EA.
Dies ist ein Spieler helfen Spielern Forum, ich arbeite nicht für EA.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Death closes all: but something ere the end, Some work of noble note, may yet be done, Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods.
Ulysses - Alfred, Lord Tennyson
Message 39 of 449 (6,323 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

Hi, thank you for your prompt response.
The launcher opens, but when I go to click the game, it proceeds to hang the MassEffect.exe. Not sure why. I have to task manager the game or attempt to close it, before it sends me back to the launcher. Previously the launcher wasn't opening- but after some 30 attempts to open it, it finally did. 

Message 40 of 449 (6,314 Views)

ea-play-promo-splash

What's EA Play?

New name, new look, same great benefits: EA Access and Origin Access are now EA Play.

Get more info on the change here.

ea-help-promo-3

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View more on EA Help