Re: One question about keyboard+mouse controls

by Fred_vdp

Original Post

One question about keyboard+mouse controls

★★★ Novice

One simple question, but it's a deal breaker for me!

Will Mass Effect Legendary Edition have separate keybinding for sprinting, cover and use? Like Mass Effect 1 and Andromeda.
And not that godawful one button, three actions from ME2 i ME3, which I really can't remember how I got through and finished ME2 and ME3 two times each, almost three times; with that keybindings.
So, I don't care about Pinnacle Station corruption, camera angles and all other potential mishmash; all I want is this change and if they deliver, I will buy this game, full price!
Thank you all in advance!

;-)

Message 1 of 11 (4,230 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero

I believe they said they're unifying the controls across all three games, but I don't know what that means with regards to keybindings.

In ME2 and ME3 squad commands were set to Q and E (on a WASD keyboard), and they said ME1 will adopt this system. On top of that, they also said that melee attack will be be a separate key in ME1 just like it was in ME2 and ME3. If 'F' remains the 'first aid' key, and 'R' the grenade key, I can't imagine there being a separate 'use' key. I also fear that everything will be mapped to the space bar, but that's all speculation.

If it were up to me, first aid in ME1 would be merged with 'unity', so it would end up on the quick bar. In that case, F could be the 'use' key, shift the 'sprint' key, and space the 'pause' key across all three games.

Edit: I just realized I forgot about the melee key four sentences after I brought it up. If F is melee, then that's not a good sign for a 'use' key.

CCP Hero Banner - Red.png

Message 2 of 11 (4,213 Views)

★ Guide
@Fred_vdp Based on what you just said that sounds veeeeery bad for poor findels chances of getting seperate keybindings unless they just changed the defaults to match me2/3 and then added more options to change.
Message 3 of 11 (4,200 Views)

★★★ Novice

Yes, that's exactly my concern and problem! It doesn't matter what keys they put what commands to. I can change them all as I like.

Problem is One Key = One Function/Action and not One Key = Multiple Functions/Actions.

Well, we'll just have to wait and see. So, definitely no preorder for me; but maybe they share more info in three remaining months!

Message 4 of 11 (4,181 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

And just a suggestion for developers if anyone from EA and/or BioWare reads this forums!

Why not use the keybindings from Mass Effect Andromeda. It had the best keybindings of any ME game, IMHO.

So Sprint is Left Shift, Crouch is Left Control, Use/Interact is E, Tactical Pause is Space, and Squad Controls are Y, X and C, for Left Companion, Both Companions and Right Companion, respectively.

Melee is F, Reload is R, Grenade is G and since there is no scanner in ME:LE you can put Cover in either Q, V, or T or even middle mouse button.

What ever you do please don't go down the road of Batman: Arkham games, where you have three or maybe more actions on one button. I couldn't play these games for more then a few minutes because of that!

Cheers!

Message 5 of 11 (4,167 Views)

★ Guide

andromeda gameplay took a while for me to get used to but it was definitely amazing. 

I think i get what you mean, does ME2 and ME3 have like..... one option for sprint/cover/use ? so you can put whatever hotkey you want on it but those 3 things are all 1 option in the menus? Or did i read that wrong. i've never even looked at it cause i play on console. 

Message 6 of 11 (4,149 Views)

★★★ Novice

Yes, exactly that! Space is used for Sprint/Storm, Take Cover and Use.

You can change that to be any key, but actions with that key are always those three.

And I hate it and think it's stupid when there are at least three or four unused but reachable keys on keyboard, even middle mouse button to use for any of those.

Really, I don't care, which buttons will they make default for what action, only that they make it so in keybindings, that every action has it own possible keybinding.

Message 7 of 11 (4,143 Views)

Hero

I think ME2 in particular had a problem with platform parity. If it wasn't an option on Xbox, it didn't exist on PC. That's why I imagine you can't use mouse wheels to scroll in menus, or why there aren't menu shortcuts to go to the journal or squad screen. They fixed some of that in Mass Effect 3, but not the keybindings.

Mass Effect 1 handled keybindings a lot better, possibly that was developed by a third party studio (Demiurge). It's when BioWare started doing their own PC versions that some annoying little problems started to show up.

CCP Hero Banner - Red.png

Message 8 of 11 (4,124 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

10years and they couldn´t fix the controls?

1 key for different actions- sprint\use\go cover. So often I try to run to cover but instead it chooses closest cover and forces me into cover position on uncovered side, on the enemies side. So I pretty much get shot to half dead just sitting in "cover". And coming off cover takes ages, as it goes with changing position behind cover.

Goes for ME2. Is every1 really playing with controller with PC that there are not so many posts about it?

Message 9 of 11 (2,657 Views)

★★ Apprentice
@Wboson
I play with keyboard and mouse and it's a bit of a problem sometimes, for me mostly when I want to jump over but end up standing and sitting several times...
Although I don't think they could have "fixed" it in remaster, its not a remake, they never promised radical changes in gameplay. I'm betting from the game code standpoint it would involve a lot of time to separate keys for this actions in already finished games.

My gripe with the Devs is that most of the bugs were never fixed, even minor ones, not to mention game braking ones. For me controls are a bit annoying but not enough to complain.
Message 10 of 11 (2,577 Views)

ea-play-promo-splash

What's EA Play?

New name, new look, same great benefits: EA Access and Origin Access are now EA Play.

Get more info on the change here.

ea-help-promo-3

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View more on EA Help