Re: Mass effect legendary edition me2 too dark?

by eldalion

Original Post

★★★ Novice

I'm on Series X with an HDR10 monitor. Just started ME2 this morning. I first really noticed it in the drop ship to meet the Illusive Man. At Freedom's Hope now, there are places where my armor almost completely disappears into black. Corners, under tables, etc, are detail-less voids. I've messed with HDR settings on the Xbox, in game, and monitor. Doesn't matter how bright I make it or how much I change contrast, those areas have no detail at all. 

Message 11 of 26 (3,194 Views)

★★★★ Novice

I'm linking some pictures here that I believe show the same problem. I'm playing on PC, no HDR (my monitor does not have the capability).

This male Shepard has either the darkest or second darkest skintone (code 221.2EK.GCJ.471.I5T.IEW.WDL.6WV.WD1.8WN.14B.91)

Mordin's lab, vanilla lighting: https://flic.kr/p/2mfqL7f

Mordin's lab, "DepthOfField=False" added to gamersettings.ini: https://flic.kr/p/2mfscFL 

CIC, vanilla lighting: https://flic.kr/p/2mfqL5X

CIC, "DepthOfField=False" added to gamersettings.ini: https://flic.kr/p/2mfiaDj 

This female Shepard has a medium skintone. I don't have any depth of field examples here because I only learned about this workaround a few days ago and I already finished her playthrough. But look at the disparity in lighting between her and Jack, even though they should be lit by the same light source here. 

https://flic.kr/p/2m2NAzw 

And here's where I tried raising the brightness of the image using photo mode. As you can see, this blows out all the highlights (as expected) but does next to nothing for those detail-less deep shadows. This cannot be what was intended, I would hope. https://flic.kr/p/2m2Tk54 

As you can see, adding the depth of field line washes the image out, but at least Shepard's face is visible, and Nvidia's in-game filters help to bring contrast and saturation back to the image (not pictured, but I screenshot that if anyone wants). But I shouldn't have to fiddle with workarounds like this, and console players don't have that option at all.

Message 12 of 26 (3,067 Views)

★★ Apprentice

bump  - this needs fixing pronto, come on EA/Bioware/et.al

Message 13 of 26 (3,026 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

It is pretty bad. I remember back when the original ME2 came out I had to tweak a shader file to restore shadow detail, because there was effectively a high pass filter, I.e. the shader was simply throwing out the details in the shadows regardless of gamma settings. 

I want to buy the legendary, and I almost did, but I remembered this issue from the original and decided to look up if that was fixed and I honestly wouldn’t be able to play the game if this is not fixed.

So please folks,

- Remove high pass filter if there is one

- Allow to adjust gamma, not just blow up highlights

Message 14 of 26 (2,998 Views)

★★ Novice

Playing on PS5 and LG OLED TV and this is ruining my experience after rushing through me1 which I thought looked great. Tried every combination of settings on both console and TV. I'm afraid it won't be fixed because not enough people are complaining about it and it was never fixed before

Message 15 of 26 (2,864 Views)

Crushed blacks mass effect 2 PS5

★★ Novice

After racing through me1 to get to me2 I'm finding it almost unplayable due to the crushed black effect. If anything gets remotely shadowy it just ends up in  large areas of pure black  with no details at all. If I turn the contrast down those black areas just become grey but still contain no detail. I have an lg OLED TV and have tried all different settings to no avail. It is a bit disconcerting to find no acknowledgement that this is going to be fixed 3 months after release. Me1 looked great BTW

Message 16 of 26 (2,881 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie
@Kitalor ME1 looked amazing for the year it was put out. it STILL looks amazing. then when i played me2, its like it downgraded badly
Message 17 of 26 (2,784 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I’m having the same problem on the Series X, nothing I do seems to solve it.

Message 18 of 26 (2,465 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

I don't know what to say, how so many people heave problems with the legendary edition i never got any bugs or big problems in game on PC/origin.  I like everything, one thing i don't like is how captain anderson looks in me 1 aside from that everything alse is ok.

Message 19 of 26 (2,446 Views)

★★★★ Novice

So it's July 2022 and I guess this is still not fixed since I just came to ME2 and everything on the first planet is so dark that I can't even see the enemies in many cases. Are the shaders still copy protected or is that fix possible at least? Had to disable the Depth of Field to make this playable for me, now I can at least see something but the colors are horrible.

REALLY great work with the remaster (sarcasm intended) when I have to literally * the graphics just so I can see my Shepard's face.

Since EA decided to decisively ignore everything yet again, I am going to do what I did last time during the whole space kid controversy of ME3 - short sell EA stocks. The only proven way to punish an evil company which so blatantly ignores its customers. Last time, it paid for my daughters house. Let's see if I am lucky this time.

Message 20 of 26 (1,701 Views)

ea-play-promo-splash

What's EA Play?

New name, new look, same great benefits: EA Access and Origin Access are now EA Play.

Get more info on the change here.

ea-help-promo-3

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View more on EA Help