Mass Effect Legendary Edition on Origin does not start

by drone-ah

Original Post

Re: Mass Effect Legendary Edition on Origin does not start

[ Edited ]
★ Novice

Hi, this is a reply to DividebyZero, thanking for their custom launcher, which solved the issue for me, even though my i7 CPU has AVX support (post #122 here: https://answers.ea.com/t5/Mass-Effect-Legendary-Edition/Mass-Effect-Legendary-Edition-on-Origin-does...)

I just wanted to thank you for creating your custom launcher to bypass the official launcher.  Like everyone else on this post, I was finding the official launcher would not launch the games (which is literally the only thing it needs to do).  This post runs to 40 pages of people having the same problem, and I find it appalling that EA has not fixed this.  They will not be seeing any of my money in future (and I own over 3,000 games). 

FYI, I have an Intel Core i7-8700, these were released in 2018 and support the AVX instruction set.  Since you advise the only other thing the launcher does is enable additional languages, I suspect the issue is something to do with languages or language packs.  FYI, I have seen a similar issue with another North American company's game (MS Flight Simulator) failing to launch from their launcher if you do not have the English (US) language pack installed in Windows - see https://www.reddit.com/r/XboxGamePass/comments/o8nvxn/why_does_my_microsoft_flight_simulator_crash/.  I am in New Zealand so of course use English (New Zealand) language pack, so that spelling, etc is correct.  My guess is that both Microsoft and EA, being North American companies, might have testers and developers exclusively using English (US), or might always have the US language pack installed as part of their standard corporate desktop image.

BTW, I found the following re MELE:

-setting the .ini file for Mass Effect 1 to borderless window, and setting X and Y resolution, got ME1 to launch exactly once.  After that though, the problem kept happening on a dozen subsequent attempts to launch.

-setting ME1 executable (not the launcher) to run as administrator in properties for that file, got ME1 to launch exactly once.  After that though, the problem kept happening on a dozen subsequent attempts to launch.

-installing your launcher worked first time, and has worked flawlessly for at least 6 subsequent play sessions. 

For clarity for anyone else reading this, I reverted the properties on ME1 executable so that "run as administrator" is NOT ticked, I installed the unofficial launcher from Nexusmods (https://www.nexusmods.com/masseffectlegendaryedition/mods/46), I left English and English voiceover selected in the unofficial launcher, and I am opening the launcher from Origin client.

Obviously there is no issue with my PC hardware or my Windows installation or my drivers or anything else I have running, if the official launcher works occasionally.  But when it fails to resume or launch any of the games the other 20 times I try, this is just incompetent programming or testing by EA.  And I also find it really frustrating that the so-called Hero on here (Holger1405) is blaming users for the issues and suggesting all sorts of weird and wonderful causes and fixes and settings changes on users' PC (which might even work for a period), when in fact the issue lies squarely with the EA launcher and with EA.

Anyway, I wanted to provide these details in case anyone from EA ever reads this forum, and for the benefit of other users, and to thank you for writing this launcher and to assure you it is absolutely of benefit to a lot more people than just those with an older CPU that does not support AVX.

Thank you so much!

Message 281 of 288 (2,024 Views)

@PseudoNymNZ 

The "so called hero" likes to point out that many of his "wonderful causes and fixes" helped many users back into the game. Tongue out

Oh, and there is a issue with your PC, just saying. 😁

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This is a players helping players forum, I don't work for EA.
Dies ist ein Spieler helfen Spielern Forum, ich arbeite nicht für EA.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Death closes all: but something ere the end, Some work of noble note, may yet be done, Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods.
Ulysses - Alfred, Lord Tennyson
Message 282 of 288 (1,975 Views)

★★ Novice

I tried the custom launcher. The launcher launches but when I click it I still get the "There is a problem with your game's setup. Please reinstall your game." I have a i5-4570, but it supports AVX and AVX2. I also have Win 7. Should the custom launcher with with Win 7? dxdiag is attached

Message 283 of 288 (1,634 Views)

@haroldx2  The minimum requirement for the Mass Effect Legendary Edition is Windows 10.  I've seen a couple other people report they get the same error when trying to launch the game on Windows 7 or 8.1.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 284 of 288 (1,620 Views)

★★ Novice

Does it work with WINE or Proton in Linux?

Message 285 of 288 (1,589 Views)

@haroldx2  ProtonDB lists the MELE as Gold, so yes, it does apparently work quite well for at least some players.  As for whether it would work on your particular setup, I have no idea.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 286 of 288 (1,582 Views)

★★ Novice

What I find really funny is that Linux users can play a Win 10 game, but Win 7 users apparently can't. What would be awesome is if the geniuses at Valve that are working on Proton made a version of Proton for Win 7 to be able to run Win 10+ programs on it. I mean, it's just a matter of adding the same system calls, right? If they can do it with Linux, they should be able to do the same thing with Win 7.

Message 287 of 288 (1,563 Views)

★★★ Apprentice
Windows 7 fix - https://www.nexusmods.com/masseffectlegendaryedition/mods/354?tab=posts

Basically, put the d3d11/dxgi/xinput1_4 dll's in the folders, replace launcher with nexus mods one, hex edit (only if they aren't working by this point).
Message 288 of 288 (1,322 Views)

ea-play-promo-splash

What's EA Play?

New name, new look, same great benefits: EA Access and Origin Access are now EA Play.

Get more info on the change here.

ea-help-promo-3

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View more on EA Help