Mass Effect 2 crashes and audio bugs-PS4

by domdomuccell

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Mass Effect 2 crashes and audio bugs-PS4

★★★ Novice

I'm experiencing two different issues with Mass Effect 2 in the legendary edition. 

First off, there is a persistent crashing issue. Most notably when initiating pre-rendered, or other major cutscenes, the game will hard crash and send my back to the dashboard. I'm experiencing this issue right now and it's making the game literally unplayable. 

The other issue I've been facing in 2 is related to audio. Dialogue has not been loading properly. Cutscenes will go on with the correct lip flaps, but more often than not, the dialogue audio will not sync. Sometimes the audio is just a bit behind and may get cut off at the end as the conversation moves on to a new line. Very often though, some entire exchanges will go without any audio, just mute lip flaps and subtitles. 

I tried to load into Mass Effect 1 while still on the legendary edition to see if it was a persistent bug, but nothing went wrong. The end of 1 went off without issue, which would suggest that this is a problem with 2. I have attempted closing the application, powercycling my PS4, clearing the cache, rebuilding my database, and even factory resetting my PS4 and nothing seems to be working. 

Is anyone else experiencing issues similar to this and/or are issues like this on EA's radar? Hopefully a fix for this is in the works.

Message 1 of 14 (2,112 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Mass Effect 2 crashes and audio bugs-PS4

★★★ Novice

I owe EA an apology. Turns out it wasn't a glitch in the code for me. My PS4's motherboard was shot. That was causing my issues. Just finished installing the game on my new console and it worked first try without so much as a stutter. Not necessarily the solution I wanted, but it worked.

View in thread

Message 6 of 14 (1,875 Views)

All Replies

Community Manager

Hey @domdomuccell,

Were you still running into these issues with Mass Effect 2? Are you using the standard PS4 hard drive, or anything different like a replaced or external hard drive?

Aside from what you've mentioned trying here, have you tried reinstalling and making sure there's enough free space on your hard drive for some temporary files (i.e. that it's not completely full once the game is installed)? 

Mako.png
Message 2 of 14 (2,045 Views)

★★ Novice

The audio sync issue happened to me as well, but I fixed it by reinstalling the game. Simply repairing it did not work.

I'd be surprised if it gets patched, I was having the issue after launch and it wasn't fixed in either of the patches, and it's been long enough that I'm not expecting any more patches despite the litany of bugs.

Message 3 of 14 (2,017 Views)

★★★ Novice

Yes, Mass Effect 2 is where I'm running into the issues. I am on the stock hard drive. I recently did attempt a full reinstall and the issues have persisted. There's more than enough space in storage for those temporary files too. I haven't tested in Mass Effect 3 yet, as I was wanting to finish Mass Effect 2 before starting. But the issues have made that near impossible. I've lost count of the amount of times I've replayed the final boss of 2 because of the game crashing in the final cutscenes. 

Every attempted fix has yielded no improvement. From my end it really is feeling like some error in the code that I hope catches enough attention to warrant investigation and a possible patch.

Message 4 of 14 (1,946 Views)

★★★ Novice

I reinstalled the other day and my issues persisted. Hopefully EA proves you wrong and works out a patch, because I've fought the final boss god knows how many times only for the game to hard crash in the final cutscenes.

Message 5 of 14 (1,945 Views)

★★★ Novice

I owe EA an apology. Turns out it wasn't a glitch in the code for me. My PS4's motherboard was shot. That was causing my issues. Just finished installing the game on my new console and it worked first try without so much as a stutter. Not necessarily the solution I wanted, but it worked.

Message 6 of 14 (1,876 Views)

Community Manager
Glad you were able to figure out what was causing that to happen, @domdomuccell.

Replacing an entire console's never a fun prospect but I hope the new one treats you well!
Mako.png
Message 7 of 14 (1,856 Views)

★ Pro
@domdomuccell Did you went for a PS5 or another PS4?
Message 8 of 14 (1,846 Views)

★★★ Novice
@draconiam For now I just went with a song recertified PS4. I'm on the list to potentially buy a PS5 in the holiday season, so for now just a marked down PS4 is doing the job.
Message 9 of 14 (1,840 Views)

★★★ Novice
@EA_Mako Thanks! Definitely not ideal, but it works.
Message 10 of 14 (1,838 Views)

ea-play-promo-splash

What's EA Play?

New name, new look, same great benefits: EA Access and Origin Access are now EA Play.

Get more info on the change here.

ea-help-promo-3

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View more on EA Help