ME1 audio issue - dialog & sfx in surrounds instead of center

by ArtemisTynblade

Original Post

Re: Legendary Edition Surround Sound is not working correctly

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

@EA_David Pc connected to tv via DVI, tv to Onkyo amplifier via optical - stereo speakers. Doors do not sound like they are opening but when behind me I can hear them close, subtitles show up for npcs talking around me but unless I get right up on top of them I cannot hear them, gunshots are absurdly loud...the entire balance of the audio is off.

Message 51 of 163 (1,787 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

I also have this problem. PC is connected to my Nakamichi soundbar via HDMI. Selectong stereo in my PC’s sound settings gives me surround sound, but any other option (5.1, 7.1) had NO surround sound. Stereo is a temporary fix as the audio is terrible compared to 7.1 that I usually get from other games. 

I will also say, I played the original Mass Effect in January and I did not have this problem. Surround sound audio worked normally.

Message 52 of 163 (1,748 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

Can we please please get a fix for this **ASAP** — how in the world did this get past testing?

PS4 Pro PCM with 5.1 surround sound. I have not touched the game since - it’s literally unplayable for me in this state. If enough people make a stink about this, Sony may start offering refunds. 

The screen tearing is another issue entirely, but at least it’s only in certain locations - this surround sound fix needs to come sooner rather than later, please. 

Message 53 of 163 (1,758 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

I have the PS4 Pro connected directly to my Pioneer Elite VSX-30 via HDMI using PCM. As with most users here, I have used this setup since day one. I have opted to just use stereo and headphones. Like I did in 2007. Which should tell you something about this problem in 2021...

Exactly the same issues of dialog and bullets playing louder than they should and on the rear channels for ME1. Voices come from the center speaker on occasion when exiting a conversational moment, which sound fine if only because they come from the correct channel.

Additionally, when in the Citadel Towers, when the camera (not the character, the camera) is facing away from the water feature, you can hear it in the front speakers. When you place the camera looking AT the water feature, it comes in the rear speakers. AND LOUDLY.

*also...as an aside, I did a thermal paste swap on my PS4 Pro, put it on a laptop cooler, took off supersampling, and put it on performance mode. I can still cook a pretty decent grilled cheese sandwich on this thing during conversational moments. That is to say, the console gets HOT to the touch.

Message 54 of 163 (1,675 Views)

Re: ME1 audio issue - dialog & sfx in surrounds instead of center

★★★★★ Novice

Having same issue on PC. Have 5.1 surround via HDMI and channels seemed mixed up. Stuff behind me coming through front channel speakers. Dialogue not using center channel. 
EA please patch this.

Message 55 of 163 (1,657 Views)

★ Novice

Same here. PS5 PCM over HDMI to Denon 5.1 AVR. It almost seems like the fronts and rears get swapped. I get heavy dialogue in the surround with the music from the front and center.

Message 56 of 163 (1,654 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

Same here - all conversations are coming from only the rear speakers in my 5.1 setup (playing on PS5).

Can we please get a fix??

Message 57 of 163 (1,575 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

Man, so many people having this problem. Lots of posts on reddit too. They really need to fix this, I've made it to finding Ashley on Eden Prime, but am holding off on playing any further until they patch this nonsensical problem.

Message 58 of 163 (1,548 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I'm on PS4, using the gold headset . The audio mix is buggy. Incidental dialogue is swapped to the wrong channel, i.e someone talking behind Shepard sounds like they are in front. Gunfire is far too loud in relation to footsteps, and environmental effects.

Message 59 of 163 (1,479 Views)

★★★★ Novice

@EA_David - This issue should be priority #1 to fix.

A gamebreaking bug to anyone using a surround sound system, but all I can see on the "Tweets" are how you're patting your back on how good this remaster is.

How about some feedback into what you're doing? It's gonna be a definitive refund claim for me if this is not fixed within a week.

PS: To all PC players having surround sound issues - I believe you're able to fix it with this guide: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2487160511

This issue actually persist from when the original ME1 launched. 

Message 60 of 163 (1,463 Views)

ea-play-promo-splash

What's EA Play?

New name, new look, same great benefits: EA Access and Origin Access are now EA Play.

Get more info on the change here.

ea-help-promo-3

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View more on EA Help