ME1 audio issue - dialog & sfx in surrounds instead of center

by ArtemisTynblade

Original Post

Re: Legendary Edition Surround Sound is not working correctly

★★ Novice
@EA_David How did this nonsense escape testing? It’s impossible to concentrate on the game with voices coming from the rear.

My setup is ps5 via hdmi to an LG TV, and then audio from the TV gets sent to an Onkyo 5.1 receiver over ARC.
Message 41 of 163 (2,474 Views)

Re: ME1 audio issue - dialog & sfx in surrounds instead of center

★★★★ Novice

This surround issue makes the game unplayable for me. 

Surround walking around works 80%

- Sounds comes from where it should come it seems, but random dialogue from a distance is almost just a whisper in the center and front speakers, but turning the camera around so it's played by the back speakers it's loud like standing right beside.

- Shooting plays on the back speakers REALLY LOUD. EArbleeding if the volume is turned up so to make the random dialogue audible from the front and center. 

Dialogue and listening to Codex is horrible.

- Plays in the back speakers, and at much higher volume than other sounds. Tried turning the "dialogue volume" down to 40% and then it's at an acceptable volume, but then random dialogue when walking around is inaudible.

My setup

PS5 > Denon X3500H > TV

PS5 is set to PCM 5.1 (Tried bitstream and dolby, no changes)

Receiver is set to Auto for audio format and handling.

Message 42 of 163 (2,441 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

I'm playing on PS4 Pro with a Samsung HW-Q950T surround set and having these exact same problem unfortunately. Really, really distracting during dialogue and gunplay.

Message 43 of 163 (2,399 Views)

★ Novice

I have a slightly different issue. I am playing on PC with surround headphones connected by USB-C and I cannot get any sound at all out of any channel for ME1.
ME2 and 3 work just fine. Anyone have any bright ideas?

Message 44 of 163 (2,394 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

On ps4 pro same issues. This paired with screen tearing has caused me to stop playing. Maybe ME2 fairs better... haven’t tried. 

Not a great start for this remaster, seriously disappointed 

Message 45 of 163 (2,364 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

This annoying sound bug can also make you sick because your vestibular apparatus goes crazy when you hear voices from behind while your mind expects them to be in front of you. I hope they fix this ASAP, gonna have to stop playing until they do that.

Message 46 of 163 (2,347 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

@EA_DavidI have no audio coming from anything but the left and right channels (and sub) regardless of how I set my 7.1 AVR which is a Denon Avr-s730H. I am playing the EA Desktop/Origin version, using HDMI for everything, playing at 4k/60fps+HDR. I have an X-fi fatal1ty sound card, though I believe it is bypassed when running everything from the RTX 2070 Super to AVR via HDMI. I believe there may be something that can be done with an .ini file in the ME1 Config folder based on a fix for ME1 sound from 2014, a post I found on EAs forums like this.

As I type this, I can no longer open Mass Effect Legendary Edition on my PC anymore. I was going to see if surround worked on my 5.1 computer speakers hooked into my x-fi sound card, but now I get a message from EA Desktop saying there was a problem on EAs end, try again a little later. it won't open on Origin either. While trying to verify files with Origin, it thinks I have a file in use even though I don't. Now I have to troubleshoot shoot this so I can troubleshoot the audio issue. EA Desktop and Origin both really suck, I must conclude. Please try looking at the suggestions for editing the ME1 .ini file from 2014 elsewhere in the EA forums and seeing if any of it can be applied to this version.

Message 47 of 163 (2,289 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

I am having this issue with USB surround sound headphones on PC. Music and dialogue are coming from my side channels.

Message 48 of 163 (2,268 Views)

★★ Novice

Playing 5.1 on pc and the sound only comes out of the left and right channels.

Message 49 of 163 (2,237 Views)

★ Apprentice

Confirming the same issue.

PS5 (PCM output) hooked up directly to Pioneer 5.2 channel receiver via HDMI. All dialogue and sfx are in the rears.

Did anyone play-test this on a mix stage?

Message 50 of 163 (2,212 Views)

ea-play-promo-splash

What's EA Play?

New name, new look, same great benefits: EA Access and Origin Access are now EA Play.

Get more info on the change here.

ea-help-promo-3

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View more on EA Help