Re: Legendary Edition Surround Sound is not working correctly

by BSAAJames

Original Post

ME1 audio issue - dialog & sfx in surrounds instead of center

[ Edited ]
★★ Apprentice

Mass Effect 1 dialog and sfx audio is coming from the rear/surround speakers instead of the center channel,

meaning that conversations, weapons fire etc are all coming from behind the player instead of in front.

Happens regardless of LPCM, DTS or Dolby output settings or speaker config (5.1 or 7.1)

Mass Effect 2 & 3 are not affected by this problem.

** update v1.03 does not fix the problem **

**PSN store refunded my purchase on June 11th, 2021**

After lodging a refund request with the Sony PSN store 9 days ago, they now have refunded the full purchase price.

If anyone else wishes to do likewise, the process I used was requesting a refund under the store's "faulty item" policy.
PSN Support staff will ask you to follow a number of troubleshooting steps to confirm that the issue is with the game and not your console.

You may be asked to provide video of the problem.

Please note that the PS4/5's Share function *does not* capture the problem, as it internally downmixes from 5.1 surround to 2.0 channel stereo. 

If you have an HDMI-based video capture that also captures 5.1 audio, then consider using this instead.

In my case , my only option was to video the problem using my phone's camera,

panning between the front and surround speakers to show where the sound was incorrectly coming from.

I also included video of a normally functioning game for comparison.

It's also worth advising them that this problem also occurrs on the PC version, due to an outdated OpenAL32.dll file.

While this file can be replaced manually by PC users, PlayStation users are dependent on EA/Bioware to fix the problem, which lies in the game's audio engine code.

The details for the PC fix are here :

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2487160511

@EA_David , as your team have failed to address or even acknowledge this problem,

Sony Support have, in this case, seen fit to classify this game in it's current state, as a faulty product, and as such, have issued a full refund.

Perhaps you might now seriously consider fixing this issue, before other players have their purchases refunded as well.

Message 1 of 163 (18,885 Views)

Legendary Edition Surround Sound is not working correctly

★ Apprentice

Playing the Mass Effect 1 PS4 version (on PS5) and all dialogue and sound effects are coming from the rear channels. Dialogue should be coming from the center channel. This is highly distracting and breaks immersion. Please fix asap. 

Message 2 of 163 (18,952 Views)

★★★ Novice

Same here.. read on Reddit with quite a couple people having the same issue please fix this ASAP 

Message 3 of 163 (18,926 Views)

Community Manager

@garionorb Can I check on your exact audio setup? If you have details of your PS5's audio settings that might help too. 

@bentl78 Hey, do you happen to have a link to any specific Reddit posts reporting this. Every bit of info helps. 

Thanks. 

David.png
Stay and Play.png
Message 4 of 163 (18,918 Views)

★ Apprentice

@EA_David wrote:

@garionorb Can I check on your exact audio setup? If you have details of your PS5's audio settings that might help too. 

@EA_David I use a Sony receiver, STR-DN1060, connected from my TV using an optical cable. Standard 5.1 surround speaker setup. PS5 connected to the TV with the included HDMI cable. Audio settings on the PS5 is set to "Dolby". This works for all games and movies/TV except this game.

Message 5 of 163 (18,903 Views)

★★★ Novice

On 7.1 dialogue is coming from rear surround. Temporary fix is to turn your receiver settings to stereo. Doesn’t matter what PS5 settings are changed: LPCM, Dolby or DTS. 

Message 6 of 163 (18,880 Views)

★★ Novice

Same issue here. Playing on PS5 with an LG sound bar paired with rear speakers to make 5.1. Connected via arc. Faint dialogue audio and the music comes from front left and front right channels but all sound effects and dialogue audio is coming out from the rear speakers at full volume. Centre channel isn't being used for anything. Tried lpcm, dts and Dolby and are all the same. Only happening with this game works fine in hundreds of others. 

Message 7 of 163 (18,860 Views)

★★★ Novice

Hello

the Reddit post is on 

https://www.reddit.com/r/masseffect/comments/nbxxnq/mass_effect_legendary_edition_launch_day/?utm_so...

theres quite a bit of comments on the threat but the original user was 

sephirossgeller

my setup is 

ps5 to Samsung q9fn via hdmi

arc to onkyo to-nr686

Message 8 of 163 (18,838 Views)

★★ Novice

Same issue here, ps5, 7.1 channels, Sonos sound system, Dolby output 

Message 9 of 163 (18,793 Views)

★★ Novice

Got the same issue. My PS5 is set up for 7.1 with Dolby but all conversations are coming from my surround speakers instead of the center one. Out of conversations, some speeches do come from the center speaker though

Message 10 of 163 (18,752 Views)

ea-play-promo-splash

What's EA Play?

New name, new look, same great benefits: EA Access and Origin Access are now EA Play.

Get more info on the change here.

ea-help-promo-3

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View more on EA Help