ME1 Jahleed's Secret Quest Bug

by ApexBannedMyName

Original Post

Accepted Solution

ME1 Jahleed's Secret Quest Bug

★★★ Novice

I talked to Jahleed before I finished the assignment Citadel: Scan the Keepers. I abandoned the keeper scanning quest when I talked to Chorban in Jahleed's Fears for paragon points. Then, I talked to Jahleed, and clicked the "Then do it Legally option." He then offered me to scan the keepers again, and I said yes, but it still shows that the assignment is completed. Is the dialogue just messed up, or can you actually scan the Keepes again?

After I speak with Jahleed and complete his quest thinking I will get the scanner back along with a new assignment to finish scanning the keepers. No such assignment appears. I did not know not siding with Chorban would break the quest chain. Then why are these dialogue options with Jahleed available?

My only keeper assignment is completed.

Assignment Summary 

Citadel: Scan the Keepers

You've decided it would be best if nobody scanned the keepers anymore.

Scanner

18/20

Why won't it reactivate?

Message 1 of 10 (2,505 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: ME1 Jahleed's Secret Quest Bug

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

This bug can only happen in the Jahleed's Fears assignment. During these dialogue exchanges with Chorban in the Lower Markets.

Chorban: If you'll just continue gathering data for me... Imagine what we could learn.

Chorban: And you'll stand to make a bit of profit yourself, remember.

Commander Shepard will then be presented with 3 dialogue options from which to choose a response.

(NO MORE)

ALLRIGHT 

SURE

If Commander Shepard happens to choose the dialogue option of (NO MORE). Then the Scan the Keepers assignment will complete.

Assignment Summary 

You cannot reactivate this assignment by pursuing 

Jahleed's dialogue options. Though these dialogue exchanges with Jahleed in C-Sec make it seem achievable.

Jahleed: Well, it's still very preliminary. But our initial scans suggest the keepers are as old as the Citadel itself.

Jahleed: We might learn how the Citadel was built. Or why the keepers always rearrange things. The possibilities are limitless!

Commander Shepard will then be presented with 3 dialogue options from which to choose a response.

(THEN DO IT LEGALLY)         Paragon option

TAKE IT BACK!                        Renegade option

TOO BAD.                                 Normal option 

If Commander Shepard happens to choose the dialogue option of (THEN DO IT LEGALLY). Jahleed responds.

Jahleed: I suppose I should. All right, I'll take it back and continue work on it there.

Jahleed: Um... Commander? Would you be interested in helping me study the keepers?

(SOUNDS INTERESTING)

(SURE.)

NO.

If Commander Shepard happens to choose the dialogue options of (SURE) or (SOUNDS INTERESTING). Jahleed responds.

Jahleed: Just take this scanner. Every time you see a keeper, scan it.

Jahleed: Whenever you get a unique scan I'll reimburse you. That's it.

Jahleed: Good luck and so long.

These dialogue exchanges between Shepard and Jahleed during the Jahleed's Secret assignment in C-Sec imply that Jahleed would continue his work legally. And Commander Shepard would be allowed to scan the keepers again. Thus reactivating The Scan the Keepers assignment.

ASSIGNMENT REACTIVATION WILL NOT HAPPEN.

TO SOLVE THIS BUG.

You would have to load to a save where Jahleed's Fears assignment is not completed. If no save is available. Then you would have to start over.

Then when prompted with those 3 dialogue options again.

NO MORE

(ALLRIGHT)

(SURE)

Do not choose NO MORE. Unless this is what you actually want and understand the implications.

^This ends the assignment regardless of progress. Commander Shepard will then mark The Scan the Keepers assignment in his journal as completed given his decision. Once done this cannot be undone.

Choose the dialogue options (ALLRIGHT) or (SURE).

^This allows you to continue progressing The Scan the Keepers assignment to fullness.

Jahleed and Chorban can then work together after resolving there differences after the intervention and mediating of Commander Shepard. Allowing you to finish scanning the keepers if you already haven't got them all. 

Citadel : Jahleed and Chorban

Assignment Summary

You managed to patch things up between Jahleed
and Chorban, and they've agreed to continue working
together.

Citadel : Scan the Keepers

Assignment Summary

You've scanned several keepers and sent off the
results. No doubt these findings will uncover some
interesting and, as of yet, unknown facts about the
small insect-like creatures.

Important Note : Choosing (NO MORE) after scanning all 20 keepers will still convert the assignment summary you see above to what you see below.

Assignment Summary 

View in thread

Message 10 of 10 (2,291 Views)

All Replies

★★ Guide
@ApexBannedMyName My guess, the mission was designed to be played before you become a spectre therefore no blue choice on dialog wheel. By that the paragon way is to report him to C-Sec and that ends the mission.
Overall, you are right, the mission have to be fixed (I got once stuck as well when playing original ME)
Message 2 of 10 (2,454 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

@sweetpoison0011  I was not a spectre during the keepers quest. I was not a spectre during the Chorban and Jahleed quest. I just farmed my assignments and got levels, xp, and paragon. I planned my routes accordingly. But, it seems there was a bug I didn't account for that would break my quest. 

The plan was to not side with Chorban. And, instead side with Jahleed.

Reason being Chorban had some shady connections.

Then the option of tell Chorban that I'm NOT SURE if anyone should research the keepers anymore appeared. 

Sounded good to me given I had prior knowledge from information online that Jahleed had a high paragon option to continue research legally. 

That sounded more my style.

There is only 3 outcomes with Chorban.

You kill him.

You continue to scan for him.

You discourage him from continuing research.

Since I discouraged him from continuing research my quest for the keepers ended or broke due to not understanding the implications of Chorban being the MAJOR and ESSENTIAL quest PROGRESS or ENDING trigger. Depending on what diagloue choice you pick I think. I only have experience with the telling Chorban to stop his research. 

I had to pick I will continue to scan for Chorban. But, it's unfortunately to late. 

But, why can I not tell Chorban to STOP RESEARCH?

And, tell Jahleed to CONTINUE RESEARCH LEGALLY?

Jahleed even gives me the scanner back in diagloue and asks me to continue scanning. But, upon Jahleed Secret quest completion I am left with no scanner and a ended keeper mission all because I told Chorban to stop research.

This is definitely a irritating bug. Even though these little side missions don't do much. I would still like my little small work to bare fruit. My OCD kinda stopped me from playing now. I was having fun.

Message 3 of 10 (2,434 Views)

★★★ Novice

@sweetpoison0011  Also how would locking him away be the paragon way? Your saying he should go to jail for having enough curiosity to devise a way to scan the keepers? Or are you saying sending him to jail nets you actual paragon points? If so then those points don't matter to me. I'm just trying to role play the good guy. So, I would have liked for Jahleed to continue his research legally given how talented he is. And, get my surprise in Mass Effect 2. Goodbye surprise. 👋

This is so immersion breaking.

Sorry to hear your struggling with a bug aswell.

Message 4 of 10 (2,412 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Guide

@ApexBannedMyNameYes, I did that in my previous run since I had no blue dialog choice. Just to be on safe side save the game first. If I'm not wrong, you get 8 paragon for getting him arrested and only 2 points if you let him go (can't confirm, sorry if I'm wrong).

Anyway, the mission/dialogue script is same as it is in original game so it's possible that will remain as it is for some time.

Message 5 of 10 (2,406 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

@sweetpoison0011  I'm just waiting for a patch or most likely gonna have to start over. Dang, you don't think they will patch it either. RIP. I don't wanna send him to jail. My save is already gone.

My save of my first meeting with Chorban was very spaced out time wise from my meeting with Jahleed. Because I had to rack enough levels and paragon from my assignments to get Jahleed blue dialogue option.

By the time I could meet Jahleed speech check conditions. I had all ready overwrite the Chorban save. I had no clue I would need it. Thought the Jahleed blue dialogue and him giving me the scanner back would mean what it means. I thought he would do what he says. I had no way of knowing of this bug without experiencing it. All the guides don't give you a heads up either. A DON'T TELL CHORBAN TO STOP RESEARCH WARNING WOULD HAVE BEEN NICE. This game has been out forever. Why is this not in the guides. 

Message 6 of 10 (2,393 Views)

★★ Guide
@ApexBannedMyName I just checked out. No blue choice means no paragon points gain.
Message 7 of 10 (2,371 Views)

★★★ Novice
Message 8 of 10 (2,368 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

@sweetpoison0011 I started over. I just picked the dialogue option to continue scanning the keepers for Chorban. In Chorban's dialogue he says that without Jahleed and him working together the project can not be completed. Which confirms Chorban is essential. Upon talking with Jahleed to finish his Jahleed's Secret assignment. There was no paragon blue dialogue option. Instead Jahleed and Chorban made up and will continue research together. Thus completing my assignment. No paragon points as you stated though. And, there illegally doing there work. But, this is fine.

Message 9 of 10 (2,312 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

This bug can only happen in the Jahleed's Fears assignment. During these dialogue exchanges with Chorban in the Lower Markets.

Chorban: If you'll just continue gathering data for me... Imagine what we could learn.

Chorban: And you'll stand to make a bit of profit yourself, remember.

(NO MORE)

ALLRIGHT 

SURE

If Commander Shepard happens to choose the dialogue option of (NO MORE). Then the Scan the Keepers assignment will complete.

Assignment Summary 

You cannot reactivate this assignment by pursuing 

Jahleed's dialogue options. Though these dialogue exchanges with Jahleed in C-Sec make it seem achievable.

Jahleed: Well, it's still very preliminary. But our initial scans suggest the keepers are as old as the Citadel itself.

Jahleed: We might learn how the Citadel was built. Or why the keepers always rearrange things. The possibilities are limitless!

(THEN DO IT LEGALLY)         Paragon option

TAKE IT BACK!                        Renegade option

TOO BAD.                                 Normal option 

If Commander Shepard happens to choose the dialogue option of (THEN DO IT LEGALLY). Jahleed responds.

Jahleed: I suppose I should. All right, I'll take it back and continue work on it there.

Jahleed: Um... Commander? Would you be interested in helping me study the keepers?

(SOUNDS INTERESTING)

(SURE.)

NO.

If Commander Shepard happens to choose the dialogue options of (SURE) or (SOUNDS INTERESTING). Jahleed responds.

Jahleed: Just take this scanner. Every time you see a keeper, scan it.

Jahleed: Whenever you get a unique scan I'll reimburse you. That's it.

Jahleed: Good luck and so long.

These dialogue exchanges between Shepard and Jahleed during the Jahleed's Secret assignment in C-Sec imply that Jahleed would continue his work legally. And Commander Shepard would be allowed to scan the keepers again. Thus reactivating The Scan the Keepers assignment.

ASSIGNMENT REACTIVATION WILL NOT HAPPEN.

TO SOLVE THIS BUG.

You would have to load to a save where Jahleed's Fears assignment is not completed. If no save is available. Then you would have to start over.

Then when prompted with those 3 dialogue options again.

NO MORE

(ALLRIGHT)

(SURE)

Do not choose NO MORE. Unless this is what you actually want and understand the implications.

^This ends the assignment regardless of progress. Commander Shepard will then mark The Scan the Keepers assignment in his journal as completed given his decision. Once done this cannot be undone.

Choose the dialogue options (ALLRIGHT) or (SURE).

^This allows you to continue progressing The Scan the Keepers assignment to fullness.

Jahleed and Chorban can then work together after resolving there differences after the intervention and mediating of Commander Shepard. Allowing you to finish scanning the keepers if you already haven't got them all. 

Citadel : Jahleed and Chorban

Assignment Summary

You managed to patch things up between Jahleed
and Chorban, and they've agreed to continue working
together.

Assignment Summary

You've scanned several keepers and sent off the
results. No doubt these findings will uncover some
interesting and, as of yet, unknown facts about the
small insect-like creatures.

Important Note : Choosing (NO MORE) after scanning all 20 keepers will still convert the assignment summary you see above to what you see below.

Assignment Summary 

Message 10 of 10 (2,292 Views)

ea-play-promo-splash

What's EA Play?

New name, new look, same great benefits: EA Access and Origin Access are now EA Play.

Get more info on the change here.

ea-help-promo-3

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View more on EA Help