Re: Mass Effect Lengedary Lunacy!

by ChiraaKitteh

Original Post

Re: Discount to Mass Effect Legendary for original owners?

★★ Novice

It's just messed up.

I mean... I bought my MEs and all those shiny add ons/DLCs directly on Origin (way back, mind you), so the publisher wouldn't have to shell out a fee to a reseller and now *they* give discounts for the Legendary Edition to people who bought ME3 there... but Origin don't?

Even when they ported it to Steam - you couldn't merge it & if you wanted to play ME3 on Steam, you still had to go through the Origin launcher.

I wanted to have all my MEs on one platform, but the way this is now, I'd rather skip over to Steam -even without being eligible for the discount- and at least get the funky achievements.

If nothing else it's bad marketing.

Message 41 of 106 (1,700 Views)

Mass Effect Lengedary Lunacy!

★★★ Guide

So, Steam is giving a discount to ME3 owners there, nice one Steam!

Origin/Bioware/EA is offering zilch/nada/nothing to loyal Origin portal ME fans who already own all three games!

It's the same situation with Kingdoms of Amalur Reckoning and it's re-master, discount on Steam, not on Origin though.

Is it now the case that since COVID, EA can't make new games, so they're having to re-master old classics, and charge modern money for them in order to stay afloat?

I would seriously like for someone at EA to explain the reasoning behind what seems to be a marketing disaster, even if they just honestly admit to sheer greed in wanting the maximum revenue from these Legendary re-masters.

Message 42 of 106 (1,656 Views)

★ Guide
@Yippee_ea_io This negativity and entitlement is getting old and boring.
Message 43 of 106 (1,641 Views)

★★★ Guide
@GrimReaperTaken
Sorry it's not the latest discussion concerning this re-master, & that you find it boring. My primary content is aimed at the EA suits, not you, & I'm attempting to add to the purchasing gamer community feedback on this situation while hoping to get an honest answer from an EA employee.
Message 44 of 106 (1,629 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero
Message 45 of 106 (1,627 Views)

★★★ Guide

Thanx Fred, I appreciate that link, useful.

Apart from wanting a direct answer from an EA rep, I also posted this on a new thread coz I want EA to see (if they monitor forums) that it's a current topic.

Also, I'm confident that I voice the disappointment of the majority of ME trilogy owners, that we weren't offered even a cursory discount on this re-master.

I can see the amount of work EA have put into these re-masters and fully expect to pay them for that, but a token discount wouldn't break their budget, and the way things stand at present with Steam giving a discount, it seems like we're all fools who buy our games through Origin, and that's just bad marketing.

Message 46 of 106 (1,601 Views)

Re: Discount to Mass Effect Legendary for original owners?

★ Apprentice

This is a good idea and one that I definitely support. It is not up to me though, it is up to EA.

The tricky thing would be people who own the trilogy on different consoles than what they are purchasing it on now, or physical vs digital. I have the trilogy on Xbox 360, and they are all physical copies (I still have them) and I am purchasing the Legendary Edition on PC (STEAM to be exact) in digital format. It would be problematic to give me a discount on the game...what do I do, find my GameStop receipts from 2007, 2010, and 2013 and send them a picture of them? I could see a discount being feasible for someone who purchased them all digitally on the same console and purchasing the Legendary Edition on the same console digitally. They are kind of doing this on STEAM, if you purchased Mass Effect 3, they are giving you a discount on the Legendary Edition, which is actually not because it is basically a 50% off discount on ME 3 and a 2% discount on the Legendary Edition.

Great in theory, problematic in practicality.

Message 47 of 106 (1,584 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Pro

@Yippee_ea_ioThese are community forums, you are unlikely to get a direct reply from an EA 'rep' that answers your question. If they decided to discount the game somehow, it wouldn’t be announced here, it would just happen and be announced on the main MELE page. However, you can probably rely on the community managers passing on your opinion to the appropriate team(s).

Also, different vendors get to discount things in their stores how they like, just like in brick and mortar stores. If you think the MELE is overpriced on Origin/EA Desktop, you can easily wait for it to go on sale. I’m sure there will be some sort of discount around the holidays at least. I’m also wondering if there is easy tech in the Origin/EA store to do something like his. Steam is definitely set up to do this sort of thing easily, it’s kind of their thing. Origin/EA store likely lags behind on this sort of feature. 🤔

Message 48 of 106 (1,444 Views)

★★★ Guide

Thanx CK, good points well laid out, but I think you rather missed my point, which is this disdain from EA to regular customers is PR incompetence! 

As to whether any EA staff read these forums and/or might reply, I'm an optimist. Like my ol Dad used to say, "You don't ask, you don't get"

Obviously I'm not gonna pay their asking price for re-masters, so have no choice but to await some future hefty discount coz part of my point is that due to buying the original trilogy with Origin, instead of Steam, I'm not eligible for the Steam discount and my patronage of EA direct is apparently worth nothing to them.

You are SO right about Origin lagging behind other game platforms.

Thanx for your input. Standard smile

Message 49 of 106 (1,410 Views)

★ Guide

@Yippee_ea_io Bruh it's a big corporation, your patronage is miniscule. They put a lot of work into their projects and would like to be compensated for it, i think that's fair. if you don't consider their work worth your time and money then don't buy it for another year or two. Complaining you deserve stuff isn't going to make ea decide to cut into their profits. Think about it this way, you're helping to pay the wages and overtime of the developers that worked on this game and will hopefully work on the next one after this. 

@AKANexus It's a company of course they need money, if they dont have money they go broke or the share holders riot and start changing leadership. Every project they do needs to not only cover costs but make enough profit that it was a good return on investment compared to things they could have done instead of making the legendary edition. Gamers arent royalty and deserve nothing, it's nice when we get a discount but we definitely don't deserve anything. Successful project is first priority, hopefully leading into future projects because the company sees it as a good investment. 

Message 50 of 106 (1,459 Views)

ea-play-promo-splash

What's EA Play?

New name, new look, same great benefits: EA Access and Origin Access are now EA Play.

Get more info on the change here.

ea-help-promo-3

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View more on EA Help