Anti-aliasing and flickering, jagged edges

by aleq2000

Original Post

Re: Anti-aliasing and flickering, jagged edges

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

@aleq2000

DISCO DISCO!

Sorry I'm just reporting in to say that we're still in the fight, not giving up on this.

Nobody wants to live in shimmery Jaggieland, nobody should be forced to watch the pixely not-so-straight lines and pretend they look fine.

I've had a heavy weekend, so, I probably shouldn't even be posting this, but I'll keep researching and trying to find a way to relive the trilogy the way we deserve it. Standard smile

(By the way I'm replaying Andromeda again and the way Frostbite does the built-in AA is just magnificent... Shame about the character animations, but hey it looks like we can't have it all Frown ... )

Also I'm simply doing my part to keep the discussion alive.

Message 11 of 35 (1,593 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

I don't usually pay much attention to jagged edges but I've been playing ME3 and some areas are so terrible even I can't stand it. I tried forcing anti-aliasing in the NVIDIA control panel, no change. Here's a screenshot from the Ardat-Yakshi monastery which was especially bad, even when standing still (and constant flickering everywhere when moving).

ScreenShot00371_png.png

Message 12 of 35 (1,552 Views)

★ Guide

@EA_Mako, @EA_David , could you please comment on that? Seems like AA is broken in all of the LE parts.

Message 13 of 35 (1,530 Views)

★ Guide

Just to add more, here's the screenshot from my current play-through of ME2.

Notice lots of jagged edges.

Message 14 of 35 (1,522 Views)

★ Apprentice

Same here, I have a 1080p monitor and I using DSR 4k and SMAA reshade with minimal improvement. The jagged edges are really distracting

Message 15 of 35 (1,493 Views)

★★ Apprentice

Makes me so angry to see that. Some people might say it's not a big deal. I'd say it's a pretty big deal. They can't just hype our expectations with this... "remaster" and allow this to happen. Because indeed it's distracting and immersion-breaking and ME is all about immersion.

What makes me angry the most is that they will probably not even fix it in the next patch. They got their little fix of money now, and they will move on to one of their crappy sequels. Of course new people will think, that the sequels will be just as good as the trilogy, and they will surely pay for it, but what do they (EA / new BioWare) care. Because by then they will have gotten another little fix of their money... and on and on it goes, because no one seems to care. No one seems to do anything about it, because huge corporation hide behind thick walls of bureaucracy and as long as they get their little junkie-fix of short-term profit they avoid bankrupcy.

What a shame that this good old Mass Effect trilogy doesn't even get the love that it deserves. The love we all thought it would get in this so called "Legendary" edition.

Never again will I pay to EA or new BioWare, unless they fix this ASAP.

Message 16 of 35 (1,461 Views)

★★ Apprentice
Still a problem. Anyone found a fix?
Message 17 of 35 (1,406 Views)

★ Guide

I haven't, but I see that Nvidia Inspector has finally detected LE edition, so I could experiment with settings.

Message 18 of 35 (1,386 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

Alright, so bad news.

I was searching for a possible AA compatibility bit to use in NvidiaInspector when stumbled upon this post: https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/nvidia-anti-aliasing-guide-updated.357956/page-244#post-5912331

Looks like we can't force AA anymore because the game migrated to DX11.

So, looks like we need to wait for Bioware to fix things - when they, finally, acknowledge the problem.

I tried to turn AA on and off and, frankly, don't see lots of difference, if at all.

@EA_Mako, you seem like playing the LE, maybe a couple of words to us, desperate in information vacuum?

Also, a new screenshot from Kasumi loyalty mission.

Message 19 of 35 (1,359 Views)

★★ Apprentice
@ELevin I'm glad you are still on the hunt for new info - I am, at least. I just wrote a mail directly to BioWare regarding this. Hoping they will start addressing these problems soon, now that they patched most of the game-breaking bugs. I will let you know if I find something more. Until then I will patiently wait. Alternatively, I might just resume my game and get it over with, and let the jaggies be a reminder never to pay EA any more money.
Message 20 of 35 (1,313 Views)

ea-play-promo-splash

What's EA Play?

New name, new look, same great benefits: EA Access and Origin Access are now EA Play.

Get more info on the change here.

ea-help-promo-3

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View more on EA Help