Anti-aliasing and flickering, jagged edges

by aleq2000

Original Post

Anti-aliasing and flickering, jagged edges

★★ Apprentice

Hi

Trying to enjoy ME1 but the flickering, jagged edges are distracting me and ruin the immersion. Certain edges of the environment and some lights keep doing this. I tried the game on both a 1080p and 1440p monitor. I have Nvidia GTX 1070 and I have maxed out all of my settings. I even tried forcing AA in Nvidia control panel. Is this a normal issue or is it just me?

I can provide some screenshots or a video clip if it helps pinpointing the problem.

Thanks for your time.

P.S. An example of the problem; When you are on the ship on the lowest deck, the part that is marked with red on the picture is the part that has this problem. As if this edge is too low resolution compared with the rest of the graphics. 

Message 1 of 35 (5,349 Views)

Re: Anti-aliasing and flickering, jagged edges

★★★ Novice

Hi,

Unfortunately I don't have a solution for this, been trying to resolve it since the game got released, but no joy so far.

I'd like to paste my cry for help from about a week ago on Steam discussions with 0 answers, just because it is the same issue OP is facing here.

-

"I have tried everything I know, but I am unable to force SSAA on the game (ME1 LE in this case, but tried ME3 LE as well with the same results).

I tried the Nvidia Control Panel override with global settings and also program specific ones to no avail.

With the original trilogy Nvidia Profile Inspector with the right AA compatibility bits worked wonders, managed to set the desired SSAA on all 3 games (4x-8x and also the transparency supersampling SGSSAA 4x-8x) and it looked great, no shimmering edges, nice smooth lines, no jaggies.

With this game nothing seems to work, the graphics looks exactly the same, no matter what I try to set outside the game.

It seems like it's all been blocked, as if the game doesn't allow any external override.

This is very disappointing as this was the main reason I've been looking forward to the Legendary Edition... to max out the graphics and relive the trilogy.
By far my favourite games ever, but it's just simply not enjoyable this way.

Has anyone managed to resolve this and if yes how and with what type of hardware?
I've got a 1080ti by the way with the latest driver.

I still have the original ME3 installed and Nvidia Profile Inspector still works great on that game, so I am completely out of ideas.

Any suggestion is much appreciated."

From what I've read so far the engine being switched to DX11 could be the reason as Nvidia might not support external AA override anymore on DX11 (no idea if it's true or not).

Does anybody have any info about this?

Thank you.

"Any suggestion is much appreciated..."

Message 2 of 35 (5,227 Views)

@nyubi 

Did you tried to force AA inside the driver without using Nvidia Inspector?

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This is a players helping players forum, I don't work for EA.
Dies ist ein Spieler helfen Spielern Forum, ich arbeite nicht für EA.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Death closes all: but something ere the end, Some work of noble note, may yet be done, Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods.
Ulysses - Alfred, Lord Tennyson
Message 3 of 35 (5,209 Views)

★★★ Novice
@holger1405

Thanks for your reply.
Yes I did, that's what I started with.

"I tried the Nvidia Control Panel override with global settings and also program specific ones to no avail."

I also tried rolling back driver versions too, but it made no difference.
Message 4 of 35 (5,203 Views)

@nyubi 

"Global" will not make it work if it don't works in "Program settings" and might lead to other problems, I would suggest to do it per game.

Under "Program settings" > under "Antialiasing - Mode" you did set "Override any Application setting"? 

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This is a players helping players forum, I don't work for EA.
Dies ist ein Spieler helfen Spielern Forum, ich arbeite nicht für EA.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Death closes all: but something ere the end, Some work of noble note, may yet be done, Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods.
Ulysses - Alfred, Lord Tennyson
Message 5 of 35 (5,197 Views)

★★★ Novice
@holger1405

Yes, I did as I said.

Did program settings too.
Added the game in program specific settings, set mode to override and selected the wanted AA quality.

No changes at all.

DSR doesn't work either, the higher resolutions are selectable, but can't apply them, the game reverts to 3840x2160.

It seems like external override is disabled.
I saw somewhere that somebody managed to override with a 3080... makes me think that it might be an issue with the 10xx series... no idea.

Maybe we'll get another patch or new driver. Who knows.

Does it work ok on yours?
Message 6 of 35 (5,157 Views)

★ Guide

I reported that too in a couple of topics, all have drown already.

I have the same 1070 and FullHD monitor.

Forcing AA without Nvidia Inspector isn't working. I was copying the settings I use for the original ME1 with no luck.

Seems like important flags are missing, like negative LOD or AA compatibility bit.

Message 7 of 35 (5,125 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Apprentice

@nyubiFor DSR resolution, go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Mass Effect Legendary Edition\Game\ME1\BioGame\Config

Open GamerSettings.ini and edit manually the resolution lines like this:

ResX=2560
ResY=1440

...or whatever you want your new resolution to be.

I just finished ME1, and in ME2 it seems to be even worse in some cases. Jagged, flickering, shimmering (whatever word) edges are distracting.

Shame on them for calling this a remaster and not even addressing such an important issue. This will probably be the last game I ever pay for that has an EA logo on it.

On-topic: I tried Reshade (with FXAA, TAA and SMAA) and I tried overriding the Nvidia AA settings, but the problem is still there. And DSR seems to kill my framerate on my GTX 1070. In (ME1) Normany engine room I felt lag with DSR on.

Any temporary AA fix is greatly appreciated.

EDIT: I saw that several people are having this problem (Youtube, Twitch), so it's not just us. It's a general problem, I guess. I hope someone fixes it soon.

Message 8 of 35 (5,080 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

@aleq2000

Thanks for the advice, but I've already tried that too.

It simply doesn't work if I set anything higher than my screen's native 3840x2160 (DSR factors are enabled in driver settings).

When the game starts the screen keeps flashing green and I have to do a reset as it's completely non-responsive. Tried with all the possible resolutions.

The only thing that helped with the original trilogy was Nvidia Profile Inspector with SuperSampling AA, ah the joy how beautiful that made them look...
I've tried all the possible settings in that too, but nothing works here either.

Reshade I'm not even going to try based on what I've read it's just a poor excuse to try to fool the eyes, but once you've seen what a good quality AA does with the graphics you can never go back to shimmery jaggieland...

I'm glad we're not alone in this, I've been trying to find a solution since release day.

Let's hope for the best my friends.

Message 9 of 35 (5,062 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Apprentice

@nyubi

So they basically made the new games look worse that the old ones. I can't help but feeling angry that they lied to us.

I am in ME2, Normandy, by the cook NPC, and when I am looking around slowly, everything jumps, shimmers, flickers. Like a disco. How the hell am I supposed to be immersed with this crap going on.

*sigh*

EDIT: And I refuse to buy a 4k+ monitor and a high-end GPU just to make it bearable to look at. From what I can tell, ME2 doesn't even look that improved compared to the original. Anyway, enough complaining from me (it will not speed up the process of anyone fixing it, hopefully). I think I'm going to take a break from the game and hope for the best.  

Message 10 of 35 (5,054 Views)

ea-play-promo-splash

What's EA Play?

New name, new look, same great benefits: EA Access and Origin Access are now EA Play.

Get more info on the change here.

ea-help-promo-3

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View more on EA Help