Why I'm quitting the ME5 Hype

by GrimReaperTaken

Original Post

Why I'm quitting the ME5 Hype

★ Guide

TLDR: I want to go in blind without other people influencing my opinion positively/negatively and I don't want to fall into the trap of bioware showing teasers for years and years on end again. 

That trailer they showed at the game awards was awesome dont get me wrong, but I was way too hyped, way too early. 

1) I swear that on N7 day 2020 they said the new game was in the early stages which means this is like...... 2, 3, maybe more years ahead of the games launch? thats a LONG time away. I hopped on youtube and quickly searched the first time andromeda was announced, it didn't have a name at the time but E3 2014, anyone remember that? They teased/showed off the game in 2014, 2015 AND 2016 before releasing it in March 2017. By the time andromeda came out I was so impatient/frustrated that I came into it negative. Seriously, even if Bioware wants to assure fans the series if fine after creative directors left, sometimes putting your heads down and silently working on a game is better. SAVE THE HYPE FOR LESS THAN A YEAR BEFORE LAUNCH. Honestly 6 months even, release something every month in the 6 months leading up to launch not something every year in the 6 years leading up to launch, look how cyberpunk 2077 hype turned out. I have to avoid all mass effect news until a launch date is announced cause I can't handle another multi year hype train.

2) Personally feel like they might have teased/revealed too much, or maybe it wasnt too much but it was a few major/important topics. I figured out a lot from that trailer, more than I have ever known/figured out about a game ahead of launch. I've always preferred to go into the Mass Effect games blind so I am completely wowed by everything in it, that's the reason it is my #1 series. I actually have to ghost bioware until launch now because I'm worried i'll go into this game "i knew that", "i suspected this", "ahhhh damn, that went slightly different that i thought". For me, the story, the characters and the world are the experience, I will do everything I can to go into this surprised by everything they throw at us. 

3) The other fans. I love the game and the community, but after ME3 and MEA I have seen how much people will complain because they didn't like things (validated or otherwise). I don't think I want to be in the crowd of people overhyping/trashing every bit of news/the first clips of gameplay because i saw in the previous two games that people overly analysing things does honestly just kill the magic sometimes. Sometimes, honestly, the most fun is had by just picking up a game and playing it. That is what I did with ME1, just saw it on a shelf and grabbed it, no prior research. 

Message 1 of 6 (716 Views)

Re: Why I'm quitting the ME5 Hype

@GrimReaperTaken wrote:

look how cyberpunk 2077 hype turned out.

Just fine if you play on a PC with a 3080. Wink

All joking aside, I see where you coming from.
But ultimately, in this times a game developer needs to keep a AAA game in the minds of the audience. You can say that is a bad thing, but it is like it is.

Quite frankly, advertising for a game is, as said what needs to be done, it is the job of the PR department of any game company, but they are not responsible for someone to get hyped, that is solely the decision of the individual that enters the hype train. 

For the Trailer, Imho BioWare did not raveled too much, they just hinted important developments. I personally prefer that over a meaningless action trailer that don't reveals anything.

As for the community, I don't think all or even the majority of the people who were overly critical of Andromeda were old fans of Mass Effect. There were many other things going on at that time surrounding Bioware.
Some others were still butt-hurt about the ME3 ending.
In the end it comes down to the same thing as with the hype train, you can decide if you get influenced by it, or you play the game and decide for yourself. 

So, quitting the ME5 Hype is a good decision, as a matter of fact it is a good decision in regards to any game.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This is a players helping players forum, I don't work for EA.
Dies ist ein Spieler helfen Spielern Forum, ich arbeite nicht für EA.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Death closes all: but something ere the end, Some work of noble note, may yet be done, Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods.
Ulysses - Alfred, Lord Tennyson
Message 2 of 6 (690 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

I wasn't trying to bash on the graphics of cyberpunk :P more the level of hype built up over many years made it so that anything less than perfect was a war crime. Similar to how people complained about andromeda having weird graphical bugs which seemed ridiculous to me, small graphical issues will be fixed in time, just not a fan of how easily hype can turn into "this isnt as good as i thought it was, im gonna give it a 0/10" 

Sure, but they have legendary edition coming in what, 3-6 months? Hype around that will keep the franchise alive well into next year, there is no urgent need for ME5 to try drum up attention for the series. Not until closer to the game at least. 

I did love the trailer, just worried about how many important topics were touched on in one hit, if the game isnt coming out for years how much deeper will they go on these things. Too big a risk for me, i'd rather miss all news and go in blind (cause i know im getting it anyway) than follow the news for years and go into that game knowing the characters, the goal of the game, the big bad villain, the outcome of ME3 that they chose (canon or not), ect ect. All these small things for me, even which galaxy they use (or how they use both) are things I feel I'd appreciate more ingame than ahead of time. 

I do agree though  PR department probably has a big plan for the marketing that will work out in the end and why do you think it wasn't old me fans disliking adromeda? I liked it in the end but the first 50% was definitely a massive grind and felt weird, i could understand why existing ME fans wouldnt have liked some andromeda changes.

EDIT: Oh one more reason to add on. I have been replaying the assassins creed franchise over the past few months and I dreaded replaying ac3 because i considered that the worst game in existance. No one could tell me otherwise, assassins creed 3 was a failure in every single way possible and a disrespectful entry to the series. 

After replaying it, i still didnt like it as much as others in the series buuuuut I had to admit it wasnt the worst game ever. When i considered why i had hated it so much i realised that yes, it has been patched a bit since i played it at launch so it was somewhat less buggy/annoying BUT the biggest problem was that I got so excited to see how the story ended and all the changes they had made ect ect that when I played it nothing could live up to what I had built up in my head. So when i got a buggy game in a setting i didnt like with a ending that at best was ok, it fell so far short of my hype level (i was definitely overhyped) that I viewed the game even worse. 

Realising that is one big big reason why I am pulling out of ME5 news/hype. I cant help but consider it a double edged sword now.

Message 3 of 6 (677 Views)

I think it's fine to be chilled about it for now, while it's still years away.

Will I be playing at launch? Or course.

But there's plenty of time and other games to play. Standard smile

(doesn't mean we can't discuss it in the meantime)

Mostly following BioWare & Star Wars games. Old timer. Helping out here does not mean I work for EA so I don't have all the answers. Also hangs out on BSN. 

CCP Hero Banner - Blue.png

Message 4 of 6 (660 Views)

@GrimReaperTaken 

GrimReaperTaken wrote:

just not a fan of how easily hype can turn into "this isnt as good as i thought it was, im gonna give it a 0/10" 

That is a problem for sure, that's why I said that it is a good decision to not get hyped.

I just don't think that getting news about a game equals getting hyped.

No matter what, a company that advertises for something, is always trying to show it in the best light, not just in the game industries.
We all know that and we all (well at least most of us. Wink ) don't buy into it. 

Just in the gaming industry it is held against a developer > They build the hype....
That is just wrong.

The advertised, and that's it.

If someone get hyped about something, they decided to buy into the hype, or at least did not stopped themselves, and then it is very likely to be disappointed at the end. 

You can follow the news about ME5 without being hyped, you just have to make that decision.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This is a players helping players forum, I don't work for EA.
Dies ist ein Spieler helfen Spielern Forum, ich arbeite nicht für EA.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Death closes all: but something ere the end, Some work of noble note, may yet be done, Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods.
Ulysses - Alfred, Lord Tennyson
Message 5 of 6 (648 Views)

★ Guide

*insert boromir meme*

One does not simply see mass effect marketing and not get hyped :O

Message 6 of 6 (633 Views)