Re: VC++ Runtime error 1603 unable to install update

by Blzrnnr1

Original Post

Accepted Solution

VC++ Runtime error 1603 unable to install update

★★★ Novice

Posting here because I have exhausted all other available options.  I had no problems until Origin attempted to install the latest update.  Now, not only will my game not update but it won't play at all.  I had the same problem during initial installation but that was eventually resolved.  Whenever the repair or update functions attempt to fix my install of Andromeda, it ends with a VC runtime install error.  

The runtime in question appears to be VC++ 2010, both the x86 and x64 versions.  Andromeda will not function without these installed.  I have already attempted uninstalling all versions of VC++ and reinstalling, running as administrator and even checking the registry for related errors.  Additionally, I have run several recommended troubleshooters from windows, and installed an update which was supposed to address the issue, all to no avail.  

The error code is 1603.  I have included the VC++ runtime error logs below.  Any solutions other than copying another VC++ redist file and placing in the installer folder would be welcome.

OS Version = 6.1.7601, Platform 2, Service Pack 1
OS Description = Windows 7 - x64 Ultimate Edition Service Pack 1
OS Version Information
CommandLine = f:\20d7e811eebaae9083\Setup.exe
Environment details

succeeded
Using Simultaneous Download and Install mechanism
succeeded

Exists evaluated to false
MaintenanceMode determination evaluates to 'not in maintenance mode'
Operation: Installing
Operation Type
Package Name = Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 x86 Redistributable Setup
Package Version = 10.0.40219
Package details
User Experience Data Collection Policy: UserControlled
User Experience Data Collection Policy

succeeded

Equals evaluated to true

GreaterThan evaluated to false
And evaluated to false
BlockIf evaluated to false

Equals evaluated to true

LessThan evaluated to false
And evaluated to false
BlockIf evaluated to false
Global Block Checks no blocking conditions found

Determining state of f:\20d7e811eebaae9083\vc_red.cab - available but not verified yet

Determining state of f:\20d7e811eebaae9083\vc_red.msi - available but not verified yet

Determining state of f:\20d7e811eebaae9083\vc_red.msi - authored action for this item is NOopsp

Determining state of MSIServer - payload not required for this item to perform action.

Applicability for Installing determination is complete
Number of applicable items: 3
Applicability Result Count
Action complete

f:\20d7e811eebaae9083\vc_red.cab Signature verified successfully for vc_red.cab

f:\20d7e811eebaae9083\vc_red.msi Signature verified successfully for vc_red.msi
Action complete

Returning IDOK. INSTALLMESSAGE_ERROR [Error 997.Overlapped I/O operation is in progress. ]
MSI (f:\20d7e811eebaae9083\vc_red.msi) Installation failed. Msi Log: Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 x86 Redistributable Setup_20170511_005317803-MSI_vc_red.msi.txt
PerformOperation returned 1603 (translates to HRESULT = 0x80070643)
Action complete
OnFailureBehavior for this item is to Rollback.

Action complete
Action complete

Final Result: Installation failed with error code: (0x80070643), "Fatal error during installation. " (Elapsed time: 0 00:00:05).

Message 1 of 11 (10,657 Views)

Accepted Solution

Champion (Retired)

A couple of more things to try. 

Solution #1 - Change the name of the following folder

1. Rename the following folder:

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Crypto\RSA\S-1-5-18 
    to
    C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Crypto\RSA\S-1-5-18_BAK

Solution #3 - Remove the updates triggering the errors
    1. Go to Control Panel > Uninstall a program (or Programs and Features).

2. In the left menu, click View installed updates.

3. In the search box at the top-right, search for KB2918614.

If you find it, uninstall it.

4. Do another search for KB3072630KB3000988 and KB3008627.

If you find them, uninstall them as well.

5. Reboot the computer and try installing the  software again.

Its a tricky one, good job I like puzzles.  its not error 1603, its the 997 i/O operation one.  That stops Origin installing the VC file.  That one is caused by a temporary profile being used to install, or something like that.  Which probably means your current user profile is corrupt or doesnt have sufficient rights, or somewhere along the line the file ownership is screwed.  The other possibility is to create a new user on the machine with administrator rights and a password.  Log in as that user and do the update. 

Let me know how how it goes. 

View in thread

Message 8 of 11 (11,091 Views)

All Replies

Message 2 of 11 (10,645 Views)

★★★ Novice

The hotfix referenced in the post does not apply to my system.  When I download the hotfix and attempt to apply it, I get the mesage that "The update is not applicable to your computer."  

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Message 3 of 11 (10,631 Views)

Champion (Retired)

First, try running Origin as Administrator while installing the game. 

If that don't helps, go to your ">drive<:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Mass Effect Andromeda\__Installer\vc" folder.

There you will find a "vc2010sp1" a "vc2012" and a "vc2013" folder.

Go to the "redist" folder inside this folders and run the "vcredist_x86.exe" and the "vcredist_x64.exe" as Administrator.

Reboot every-time after you installed both versions of a year. > ´test

If that also don't helps, close Origin completely.

Download the VC2012 C++ package from MS here.

Replace the existing "vcredist_x86.exe" and "vcredist_x86.exe" under ">drive<:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Mass Effect Andromeda\__Installer\vc\vc2012\redist" with the downloaded versions.

Run Origin as Administrator and try the installation again.

Message 4 of 11 (10,623 Views)
Highlighted

★★★ Novice

Thank you for the suggestion, but please allow me to clarify a few points.

First of all, I have already tried your proposed solution and when doing so get the error described in the log above.  Second, the issue is stemming from VC 2010 not VC 2012.

Message 5 of 11 (10,618 Views)

Champion (Retired)

Other people have had it, not just for MEA ..

'

I believe, after much experimentation and digging, I've found the solution.

It appears that the problem stems from the VC++ Redist installs themselves. Origin, by proxy, installs these the three VC++ Redists that are needed to run the game. Unfortunately, not all these VC++ files are compatible with all computers. Attempting to install these files without Origin's assitance results in the program encountering a I/O problem -- error 997. To install DAI, I had to "trick" Origin into installing a version of VC++ that was compatible with my computer.

Here's what I had to do:

Step 1) Go to the Dragon Age Inquisition game folder. Mine installed to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Dragon Age Inquisition"

Step 2) In the directory "__Installer", you'll find a folder called "vc". Inside vc, you'll find 3 folders: vc2008sp1, vc2012, and vc2013.

Step 3) Within each directory are folder's called "redist", and within each of those are corresponding .exe files. Run each of these files.

Step 4) For this fix, you should note that at least one failed to install. You'll need to note which one of these failed, and then search the internet for a version that is compatible. In my case, Origin wanted me to install "vcredist_x64", but this failed. I found "vcredist_x86" was compatible -- installing this onto my computer instead.

Step 5) The last step in "tricking" Origin into allowing you to play DAI, by renaming the working vcredist files as the ones that are found within the DAI  "__Installer" directories, deleting the non-working ones and then replacing them with the working ones. I renamed the file I found online (vcredist_x86) to the same name as the incompatible file (vcredist_x64), then replaced the old file with my own.

Step 6) Run the installation again.

The Result:

Origin then is "tricked" into installing the new compatible vc files. Origin is made "happy" because it got to feel like it was in charge and do something useful, and presents the game as being installed and allowing you to play.

'

Try these https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=8328

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=13523

Message 6 of 11 (10,611 Views)

★★★ Novice

Again, thank you, but I have already attempted to do this and it did not work for me either.  Whenever I replace the faulty file with a working one and attempt to start up the game, origin overwrites it with the original file because it is trying to install an update not just run the game.

Message 7 of 11 (10,608 Views)

Champion (Retired)

A couple of more things to try. 

Solution #1 - Change the name of the following folder

1. Rename the following folder:

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Crypto\RSA\S-1-5-18 
    to
    C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Crypto\RSA\S-1-5-18_BAK

Solution #3 - Remove the updates triggering the errors
    1. Go to Control Panel > Uninstall a program (or Programs and Features).

2. In the left menu, click View installed updates.

3. In the search box at the top-right, search for KB2918614.

If you find it, uninstall it.

4. Do another search for KB3072630KB3000988 and KB3008627.

If you find them, uninstall them as well.

5. Reboot the computer and try installing the  software again.

Its a tricky one, good job I like puzzles.  its not error 1603, its the 997 i/O operation one.  That stops Origin installing the VC file.  That one is caused by a temporary profile being used to install, or something like that.  Which probably means your current user profile is corrupt or doesnt have sufficient rights, or somewhere along the line the file ownership is screwed.  The other possibility is to create a new user on the machine with administrator rights and a password.  Log in as that user and do the update. 

Let me know how how it goes. 
Message 8 of 11 (11,092 Views)

★★★ Novice

Thank you so much for taking the time to work through this one.  It really was a huge pain.  I tried creating a new profile and installing the update through that profile, and that didn't work.  I then tried changing the folder name by adding "BAK" to it, bingo.  For whatever reason, that did it.  I was able to install the update and now it launches.

Message 9 of 11 (10,588 Views)

Champion (Retired)

No worries. Glad it worked Standard smile

Message 10 of 11 (10,580 Views)