VAULTS | Their real purpose. Your thoughts?

by PandaTar

Original Post

Re: VAULTS | Their real purpose. Your thoughts?

★ Pro

Well the vaults could be restored without Meridian as you know from playing through the game. If they would've stopped working because of what happened with Meridian, then they wouldn't be able to work until Meridian would be restored I would think.

I was also thinking about the Angara who had AI technology in the past as we found out on Voeld. Well if Ryder can operate remtech with AI, were the Angara also capable of that? Perhaps the old Angara are the opponents? Maybe they lived to close to their creators and found out about their origin and wanted to break the bond with their creators (very Geth I know) and they created something they couldn't control which hurt them as much as it hurt the Remnant. Perhaps that's how the AI tech was lost to the Angarans overall.

Or maybe there were some Remnant that malfunctioned and got their own ideas and started creating other types of things than they were originally made for and instead of creating life, they did the opposite, making them the opponents. Perhaps that's the power the Archon was after.

Oh well, just more from speculation station Alpha Two Beta Wink

Message 41 of 75 (506 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Pro

@PandaTar wrote:

EgoMania wrote:

Well we don't know of course how the opponents found them, but if they hadn't protected themselves against long range scans that'd be really stupid. Not impossible but stupid.

Of course there is another possibility. What if the opposition was created by the terraforming or something else the remnant did while in Heleus?

And what caused the vaults to stop working? Was it the scourge or was it the Kett?

Not necessarily stupid. For example, if we had an intelligent alien race scanning another planets for life, and their range of technology and knowledge would make their scans pinpoint only planets with Nitrogen, other lifeforms in planets without Nitrogen would be unchecked. However, we, humans, having Nitrogen on our atmosphere, how the heck would we supposed to block any scan from reading our whole atmosphere? Both sides lack something, you see, we lack technlogy to block our entire planet of being scanned, while the alien race lack technology to read and identify lifeforms which are not based on a planet with Nitrogen, similar to our own inability to identify or base our hopes on life ever being considered organic, needing water etc. So, even if they had advanced technology to block long-range scans, sometimes they cannot block everything, because of their limited perception upon something.

Like a reaction? That would mean that the scourge-creating power would be dormant in those planets? That is a possibility. For the vaults stopping working, I'm not sure, but perhaps because the jardaan needed evacuated and hid Meridian somewhere else. I think that part would explain the vaults started to be synchronized. Or so I understood.

All this and more in the next episode of ... Speculations on Heleus.

Hmm. Finding functional? vaults turning planets into habitats suitable for silicon, germanium, or something even more exotic based as a lifeform? THAT would be outside the box, in an exciting way, and leave the door open for endless future possibility (and speculation). That would feel *really* alien.

Message 42 of 75 (503 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Pro

@EgoMania wrote:

Well the vaults could be restored without Meridian as you know from playing through the game. If they would've stopped working because of what happened with Meridian, then they wouldn't be able to work until Meridian would be restored I would think.

Yeah. That's why we reset them, right? To restart its functions. Probably taking Meridian would make all resetting synchronized system-wide, but we just find it in the end.

The angara, I think those in Havarl? Some of them explain they can interact with it, but they take too long to understand it, and yet, not entirely.

I just hope it's nothing related to AI going rogue. Everything is going rogue in that game, including the Archon.

#speculatingmode

@jpcerutti1

Exactly. We just perceive and look for things we understand. How would we detect a civilization in which its entire lifespan was 1 milisecond, for example? We have limitations that cannot cover all possible outcomes if something more advanced and perceptive than us is lurking around.

Message 43 of 75 (500 Views)

★ Pro

@PandaTar wrote:

Yeah. That's why we reset them, right? To restart its functions. Probably taking Meridian would make all resetting synchronized system-wide, but we just find it in the end.

The angara, I think those in Havarl? Some of them explain they can interact with it, but they take too long to understand it, and yet, not entirely.

I just hope it's nothing related to AI going rogue. Everything is going rogue in that game, including the Archon.

#speculatingmode

Yeah but since we reset them before we get to Meridian apparently they can function with Meridian being functional, so I wouldn't know why the vaults would shut down by what happened with Meridian. Of course what is possible is that as part of that event they were turned off on purpose.

Maybe to punish the Angara for rebelling as per my speculation or for some other unexplained reason. They did say in game that the core of Meridian was left behind to take fire while the rest escaped. Now the scourge doesn't seem to do much firing at things. Perhaps the scourge is the nasty side effect of a very nasty BFG or something. Kinda like nuclear fallout on a galactic scale.

Message 44 of 75 (491 Views)

★★★★ Pro

The Scourge has a protomolecule vibe about it. At least it doesn't look like it feeds on radiation, nor repurposes things or lifeforms like Exaltation. For now.

Message 45 of 75 (488 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Pro

@PandaTar wrote:

@EgoMania wrote:

#speculatingmode

@jpcerutti1

Exactly. We just perceive and look for things we understand. How would we detect a civilization in which its entire lifespan was 1 milisecond, for example? We have limitations that cannot cover all possible outcomes if something more advanced and perceptive than us is lurking around.

There's got to be some meaningful way to interact with them though. Otherwise you're stuck with "The Things", "The Forever War", or "Horton Hears a Who!" for plotlines. Balancing the truly alien, without an entire story to flesh it out, would be tricky.

Message 46 of 75 (484 Views)

★ Pro

@PandaTar wrote:

The Scourge has a protomolecule vibe about it. At least it doesn't look like it feeds on radiation, nor repurposes things or lifeforms like Exaltation. For now.

Interesting idea.

Was thinking about the Scourge some more and then I remember it actuall grows when you get close to it. So presumably it's attracted by technology, so it might be a weapon by itself rather than just a nasty side effect.

Message 47 of 75 (482 Views)

★★★★ Pro

@jpcerutti1 wrote:

There's got to be some meaningful way to interact with them though. Otherwise you're stuck with "The Things", "The Forever War", or "Horton Hears a Who!" for plotlines. Balancing the truly alien, without an entire story to flesh it out, would be tricky.

Of course, of course. We were discussing an issue on how we can't really block or conceal our existence from everything without knowing everything there's to know. For a gaming purpose which is based on interaction and galactic species and civilizations, it's surely not very easy to simply introduce something players can't understand nor interact with, unless it's something too exotic and subtle that will, eventually, be cohesive to our understanding. Scourge, for now, is something that we have no proper understanding.

Message 48 of 75 (479 Views)

★★★★★ Guide

@EgoMania wrote:

@PandaTar wrote:

Interesting idea.

Was thinking about the Scourge some more and then I remember it actuall grows when you get close to it. So presumably it's attracted by technology, so it might be a weapon by itself rather than just a nasty side effect.

It is drawn to Remnant (Jaardan) tech, which you use in the climatic space battle to take Meridian. It's literally space-warping magic attracted to their enemies tech and energy.

Message 49 of 75 (470 Views)

★★ Guide

@EgoMania wrote:

Was thinking about the Scourge some more and then I remember it actuall grows when you get close to it.

Maybe it just likes you?  Cool

Message 50 of 75 (464 Views)