Re: [Spoilers!] Choices in ME:A are not handled very well...

by Philbe63

Original Post

[Spoilers!] Choices in ME:A are not handled very well...

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

... and sometimes you whish you had more than option A and B to choose from.

For example, in the first trilogy, you had a lot of choice A or choice B situations, with at least one bad consequence for each choice, but for a lot of them, if some conditions were fulfilled prior to the moment you have to take the decision, you could either manage to get both A and B, or to at least nullify the bad consequences of one of the two choices. Most of the time it was a Paragon/Renegade check, or a loyalty mission you had to have done (like with Wrex in ME1 or the Geth/Quarian conflict in ME3). There were a lot of parameters involved, and you knew spending time doing side quests/loyalty missions would be rewarding later on.

I understand ME:A is the first game of the new trilogy (?), so there aren't many things you could have done before the events to increase your chances of getting better outcomes. But I was a bit disappointed that, I think, ALL the decisions you have to make are either "Choice A with given consequences", or "Choice B with given consequences", period. Correct me if I'm wrong but I haven't noticed any advantage to completing the loyalty missions (apart from the rank 6 skills) in ME:A. And the only moment where it seems some of your choices mattered is the final mission when you go on (actual) Meridian, but still, it's not handled very well. For example, in my first playthrough, I spoke ONCE to Sloane Kelly, for the main quest, and then never went back to Kadara (yeah I kinda rushed the main storyline). And she still came to help me as if we were good old pals. Even worst, there were some people telling me "We're here to help you, Ryder!" even though I had no idea who they were. I had to go check on the wiki, and I think there is at least one I had never spoken to (sorry though for not remembering who it was...). The only major thing in the whole game that is really affected by the missions you did or did not earlier is Captain Dunn's fate. And that's it.

Coming back to what I was saying before. To me it's ok that sometimes you have to take a very difficult decision, like the Kaidan/Ashley thing in ME1, where you had no other choice but to let one of them die. It's part of what makes Mass Effect great. But please sometimes Ryder could just fight 5 more minutes and kill 10 more ennemies (after killing more than a hundred) to be able to save one more group of people, or maybe he/she could just ask the 4 squadmates that are having tea in the Tempest to actually be useful and do something for once. Maybe something similar to the end of ME2, but with no character death involved (I read somewhere the developers don't want to make squadmates die), just potential success/failure. This is something I would have loved to have during Priority Ops, especially the Moshae rescue and the Archon's ship attack. For example you could send your other squadmates to distract the ennemy, hack something, rescue some people... And depending on weather or not you chose the most competent ones to do it and/or completed their respective loyalty missions, they would either succeed or fail.

Several times I felt really stuck and limited by the low amount of possibilites there is, and was like "Come on, Ryder, you could just do that/have done that and problem solved...". Even though I know this is very unlikely, I would really love to see a patch that increases the amount of possibilites and outcomes during the main missions.

Message 1 of 23 (986 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice

What choice? I cannot express how many times I would struggle with doing one thing over the other but most of the time it really doesn't even matter. One of the best examples of this is when you try to say something to the first Outpost Podromos. You can say four different things and no matter what you pick the response back is a generic "We didn't come here to 'blank'....None needed or expected."

Or when I was trying to figure out how to talk to the Angara. When I was polite they would accuse me of being phony. When I tried to be casual, I was accused of being too cavalier. I have to wonder if just doing the loyalty missions guarantees you all the crew or is there wrong choices to be made and you won't get them? 

I remember in ME:2 having the support of the team was crucial to who lived or who died.

Spoiler
What if you haven't done all the side missions and created all the outposts? Does the battle for Meridian turn out completely different? 
Message 2 of 23 (962 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

Finished the main story without completing the elaaden outpost due to bug and no difference in final fight. Also completed it with a 2nd playthough that have all 4 outposts and fight was same.

Message 3 of 23 (950 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Pro

Here's a big one.

If you don't do all the outposts, what happens in the next game when you import said save? Genuinely would be a world state difference if not retconned to status quo.

On the other hand, the Meridian is now active which means the entire cluster is presumably suddenly viable...

Message 4 of 23 (941 Views)

★ Apprentice

If you skip all side missions, then some ennemies you could have killed before will be there to slow you down, and you won't get as much backup as if you'd helped the whole cluster before. As stated in my first post, there is one exception:

Spoiler
If when you start the final mission, you haven't found all the other pathfinders, and/or you haven't proposed anyone for their succession, then Dunn dies.
Message 5 of 23 (931 Views)

★★★ Pro

@trickytox wrote:

If you skip all side missions, then some ennemies you could have killed before will be there to slow you down, and you won't get as much backup as if you'd helped the whole cluster before. As stated in my first post, there is one exception:

Spoiler
If when you start the final mission, you haven't found all the other pathfinders, and/or you haven't proposed anyone for their succession, then Dunn dies.

Which means.... nothing. Dunn is pretty far removed from all the plotlines and you have no more attachment or interaction with her really than any random questgiver. I have as much bond with her as I do the electrical short guy.

All the non-romance decisions within this game actually do is set you up for future ramifications, include or omit one short cutscene, alter some dialogue, and add or remove to who fights the final battle that you're going to win anyway.

Not sure where they are going with this. I am hoping all these decisions make a difference in whatever they plan for a second installment and that I do NOT have to buy dlc to see any results (because any second game will be moving on to something else).

Message 6 of 23 (923 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Pro

Some of the so called choices made doesnt make sense and it's not how I would have done it if I am really the pathfinder.  Eg choosing military or scientific outpost.  We will eventually end off with EOS, Kedara, Voeld and Elaadin.  Cant we have 2 science and 2 military?  Also they claim that this is a significant decision but it does absolutely nothing except some minor conversation changes for some quest(Like sleeping dragon and when you speak with the transgender).

Kedara, Slonne Kelly's a drug lord, if I have my way I would have raided her compound and gunned her down.  Or at least have an actual alliance with the collective and a proper battle with the outcast...  Instead I am forced to have her back, although I hated her, else I cant proceed, have to pretend to have her back then literally turn a blind eye and turn traitor.  Cheapens Ryder as a character.

When Bioware first spoke about taking out the paragon renegade system I bought into the hype, I believed that the personality profile method maybe the way to go as the paragon/renegade system forces you to move 1 direction else you may not have enough  paragon/renegade points to unlock a major conversation or decision.  When MEA came out, I was obviously excited, first trip to the nexus...  Meeting the 4 clowns there...  Then realising that in the conversation wheel you have wow...  4 choices!!! 

1) To be a Logical Wuss

2)  To be a Formal Wuss

3)  To be an Casual Wuss

4)  To be an Emotional Wuss.

So i thought perhaps it's just the first part of the game, he will grow up...  eventually...  So Ryder go off and kill kett, made him the MAN!  Then after the final mission the last decision that you make, if you chose Reika for example to be the ambassador, Addison and Kesh will verbally beat you down again...  And there he is, like in the first encounter with addison....  Absolute wuss.  Cant defend himself, cant speak up...  just took a lashing...  absolutely disgraceful.  I dont need to renegade headbutt addision, I just need to firmly put her in her place and stand up for myself and my family.  Apparently the hero of the galaxy doesnt have enough of a "quad" to do that.  These days I just make the decision and quit or start a new game, I wont even bother going around engaging anyone anymore.

Message 7 of 23 (888 Views)

★★★ Pro

in my head canon i just say to myself... it's ok, ryder's just still a bit frozen, so hopefully with a fleet of coffee mugs, and maybe a heater or two ryder will cowboy/girl up by the next game. 

Message 8 of 23 (878 Views)

★★★ Pro

@CasperTheLich wrote:

in my head canon i just say to myself... it's ok, ryder's just still a bit frozen, so hopefully with a fleet of coffee mugs, and maybe a heater or two ryder will cowboy/girl up by the next game. 

LOL am just hoping for a change in writers before the next MEA and hope its for the better.  Hope they realise that young and rookie doesnt equate being a push over.

Message 9 of 23 (871 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Apprentice

@CasperTheLich wrote:

To be fair, him/her not exactly being ready to be Pathfinder was emphasized greatly (although, how great it was emphasized depended on your choices). You're a guy/gal who's in that young adult stage where you want to still be a rebellious angsty teenager, but you know that you have to do some serious adulting soon. 

I don't know how much time it takes Ryder to beat the game (lore wise when I say that). Months? Even though he/she managed to repair an entire alien terraforming system, it doesn't mean he's/she's suddenly all kinds of confident in what he's/she's doing. This is like suddenly promoting the cashier into a District Manager. They'll do it, sure, but it'll be nerve wrecking the whole time.

Message 10 of 23 (862 Views)