SAM'S Voice Acting

by N7Gamer1811

Original Post

SAM'S Voice Acting

★★ Apprentice

Wait, SAM is voiced by a woman? Never would have known. 

Message 1 of 17 (1,380 Views)

Re: SAM'S Voice Acting

★★★★ Pro

I thought my impression that SAM sounded gay was just due some sentences. 

Message 2 of 17 (1,369 Views)

★★★ Pro

Sure isn't Tricia Helfer....  Just finished my 4th playthough, am done...  Going back to ME3 and have EDI in my head for a while.

Message 3 of 17 (1,356 Views)

Thought so from the start, reminded me of Shale.

And honestly, 'sounding gay' is a silly notion, 'gayness' has no particular sound.

Mostly following BioWare & Star Wars games. Old timer. Helping out here does not mean I work for EA so I don't have all the answers. Also hangs out on BSN. 

CCP Hero Banner - Blue.png

Message 4 of 17 (1,339 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Pro

@VladVonCastein wrote:

Sure isn't Tricia Helfer....  Just finished my 4th playthough, am done...  Going back to ME3 and have EDI in my head for a while.

Not her fault though. I can picture the producer in the booth saying, "Right. That was great, but could you try it again with even more of a monotone and a lack of inflection?"

Alexia Traverse-Healy http://www.imdb.com/videoplayer/vi1704505369?ref_=nm_rvd_vi_1 (Not the whole demo tape is work safe or PG rated)

And then, just because. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPTB-NW8OHs

Message 5 of 17 (1,338 Views)

★★★★★ Guide

@N7Gamer1811 wrote:

Yeah it is... lol I was surprised as well when I was looking to see WHO are the voice actors cuz.... they are just not so good as they were in previous ME.

Also i looked it up because some voices sounded Javik, Aria, Ashley. So i just checked it out of curiosity to see who are all these people voicing in there Standard smile

Obviously is too expensive to get Sandra Bullock or Liam Neeson or whatever to do voices. Standard smile

And it's also difficult to voice act by speaking to nobody and have no conversation replies as in a dialogue, but really? I wonder if these people auditioned or they just grabbed whatever to do voices.

I love Andromeda for its content, large areas to explore, environments are looking good and lots to do which is fabulous, story is pretty good.... but the mood setup and story ambiance is really a missing key here. But then again that's just my opinion.

Message 6 of 17 (1,312 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Pro

@draqonin wrote:

@N7Gamer1811 wrote:

Yeah it is... lol I was surprised as well when I was looking to see WHO are the voice actors cuz.... they are just not so good as they were in previous ME.

Also i looked it up because some voices sounded Javik, Aria, Ashley. So i just checked it out of curiosity to see who are all these people voicing in there Standard smile

Obviously is too expensive to get Sandra Bullock or Liam Neeson or whatever to do voices. Standard smile

And it's also difficult to voice act by speaking to nobody and have no conversation replies as in a dialogue, but really? I wonder if these people auditioned or they just grabbed whatever to do voices.

I love Andromeda for its content, large areas to explore, environments are looking good and lots to do which is fabulous, story is pretty good.... but the mood setup and story ambiance is really a missing key here. But then again that's just my opinion.

I have to disagree with the bold statement - Andromeda is a first game and I believe many of thr VAs are better than those in ME1.
Fryda - Sara has a lot more life and sass than Femshep ever had in the first game. She developed it later in following games but she was never as good from the 1st game.

Kaidan - again, as much as I adore this char, his VA work in ME1 was probably some of the worst, yet in ME3 it was some of the best Ive heard. As a voice actor with different tones etc Liam's VA walks all over Kaidans in the first game.

Peebee - she has way more life than ME1 Liara. Granted different characters but when you first meet Liara and she is begging you to get her out of that field her VA work seriously grates on me. Peebee never has she has the right tones for the right situations and none of them grate on me. Liara tho? she over acted big time. Now later in in things like LoTSB Liara’s VA work was amazing. In ME1, not so much.

Garrus and Wrex - loved them from the start. There characterization of Krogan and Turian was on point from game 1. Just as I feel Drack and Vetra are.

Jaal - has an amazing voice with plenty of tone diversity in each situation.

Suvi - she is just as pure and cute as Traynor and there's no moments her voicing bugged me because it was off or bad, either of them.

Kallo - he is totally a Salarian, hard to compare him and Joker, different species for a start but, Kallo is clearly Salarian and thats enough.

There maybe times the characters actions bugged me, or things they said. Thats on the writers not on how they delivered their lines. How lines have been delivered in ME:A has always felt on point to me, I recall no moments when bad VA work/over acting or under acting has jarred me out of immersion. Unlike in ME1 when it happened a few times.

Ive just started a scott PT, still on Hab 7 atm but I do have to say while he is decent, not bad at all, his VA doesn't have as much life as Sara's does. He is more than tolerabke and decent, just not exceptional but its a first game, he make take longer to warm up to feel like he can add more of his own flare.

Message 7 of 17 (1,305 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Pro

@adrest4 wrote:

And honestly, 'sounding gay' is a silly notion, 'gayness' has no particular sound.

Noted from the way male gay people I know, friends and acquaitanced around here speak, sometimes. There's no silly notion about that. That's my notion. Maybe not worded as satisfyingly for some, as usual.

@Nykara360

I hate Suvi's voice acting. ^_^ However, after pondering a bit, it quite might translate her character. Still, not good for the ears. Just like Liam.

Message 8 of 17 (1,303 Views)

★★ Pro

@PandaTar wrote:

@adrest4 wrote:

Noted from the way male gay people I know, friends and acquaitanced around here speak, sometimes. There's no silly notion about that. That's my notion. Maybe not worded as satisfyingly for some, as usual.

@Nykara360

I hate Suvi's voice acting. ^_^ However, after pondering a bit, it quite might translate her character. Still, not good for the ears. Just like Liam.

I do think everyone has that one voice that bugs them and they can't explain why. Her delivery was fine and on point,(Suvi) maybe its just her voice you don't like? I have this with FemHawke. I dunno why but her voice really bugs me and its not that she doesn't deliver her lines well - I just don't like her voice. Yet in SWTOR same actress with the agent story I love it, but her accents different there.
Message 9 of 17 (1,290 Views)

★★★★ Pro

It the way she talks. It's like an urging whisper. That's not something I would expect all the time, as normal speech. It sounds very strict and specific.

Message 10 of 17 (1,278 Views)