by Taggen86

Original Post

HDR in mass effect andromeda does not work using the latest nvidia driver

★★★★★ Apprentice

Product: Mass Effect Andromeda
Platform:PC
What edition do you have? Standard Edition
Physical Disc or Digital version? Disc Based Install
Summarize your bug HDR in mass effect Andromeda does not work using the latest windows version (creators update) and the latest ndvidia driver. It is impossible to activate it. It only works if you use an old NVidia driver (381.89).
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
How long has this issue been happening? Always Happens
Which single-player mode are you playing? Standard.
Please select your region Europe
Run the www.speedtest.net network benchmark and post your upload and download speeds.
What company provides your internet service?
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Play mass effect using the latest windows version (creators update) and the latest NVidia driver.
What is the AMD or Nvidia Model Number of your graphics card? GTX 1080
Please enter memory size in GB. video 8 GB, 16 GB ram

HDR in mass effect Andromeda does not work using the latest windows version (creators update), the latest patch (1.07) and the latest ndvidia driver (382.33). It is currently impossible to activate it. To activate HDR, you need to use an old NVidia driver (381.89) or use the previous windows version.  

Message 1 of 11 (8,198 Views)

HDR not working properly

★★★ Newbie

I'll start this by saying that I do have HDR working outside of Mass Effect.
However it is via the display settings option from Windows desktop and I have to disable the HDR option in Andromeda, or else I get washed out colors and lots of gamma (And the game still says HDR:Off). 

The HDR effect I am getting via Windows Display Settings with HDR turned off in game, is over-saturated, no matter how many tv settings I tweak.

Is there any way to correct this?

I'm running a GTX 1080 TI, on a Sony XBR49700D, Nvidia Driver Version 382.33. 

Message 2 of 11 (8,075 Views)

Re: HDR not working properly

Champion (Retired)

Came across this

#4 Mass Effect Andromeda HDR Issue
If you minimize your game by using Alt + Tab and then get back to hit. The HDR should now work fine. For AMD users, you should try toggling HDR on/off from the AMD control panel.

Message 3 of 11 (8,067 Views)

HDR not working Nvidia drivers + Win10 Creators

★★ Novice

Product: Mass Effect Andromeda
Platform:PC
What edition do you have? Standard Edition
Physical Disc or Digital version? Digital Based Install
Summarize your bug HDR no longer working since Win10 Creator update and Nvidia drivers upward of 378.92.
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
How long has this issue been happening? Happening since the last patch
Which single-player mode are you playing? Standard.
Please select your region Europe
Run the www.speedtest.net network benchmark and post your upload and download speeds. N/A
What company provides your internet service? N/A
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Just run Windows 10 Creator Update with the newest Nvidia drivers (or any from 381.89) - try to get HDR working!
What is the AMD or Nvidia Model Number of your graphics card? Nvidia GTX 1080ti
Please enter memory size in GB. 11

Unable to get HDR to function on any driver apart from the Game Ready one - current drivers make Windows responsible for HDR enabling by slider in picture options - however enabling the slider Mass Effect fails to hook and will not display HDR - washed out images.

Can only play in SDR now. Is there a plan to fix this?

Message 4 of 11 (8,066 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Apprentice
Has anyone tried if it the solution above works using the latest nvidia driver and mass effect patch?
Message 5 of 11 (8,017 Views)

★★★ Novice

I think we're getting a step closer to solving this. It appears to be mostly a Microsoft issue. If you install their latest Insider Program preview build (fast track, "Fall Creators Update"), things are going back to normal as you would expect them to be.

You can leave the Windows Display Settings HDR option turned off and start the Mass Effect Andromeda, and the game will put your TV into HDR mode automatically. So basically the way it was before the Creators Update. Unfortunately though, once you start playing the game it only takes a minute or so before my nVidia drivers crash. I tried with the current version (385.41). Looks like they are not ready for the new Windows version yet. You might get different results maybe. Good luck.

Message 6 of 11 (6,980 Views)

★★ Novice

Sorry. NO combination of any thing makes HDR work with the latest patch win 10 and nvidia drivers..

stupid...

Message 7 of 11 (6,465 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

Are you saying that it is not even possible to activate HDR using nvidia driver 278.92 on the windows fall version?

Message 8 of 11 (6,360 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

I used to solve this problem just the same way. But recently I simply can't do it. Tapping in and out doesn't help. But I noticed when I tap out to desktop the colors are correct on the small minimized window. It just doesn't keep these settings when I maximize it again. A mystery.

Message 9 of 11 (2,940 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

Just an update on this issue.
It seems I've solved the problem on my end.
In NVIDIA Experience there's an option to change the type of windowed mode. I changed it from 'Full Screen' to 'Windowed Borderless' and the colors went back to normal.

Message 10 of 11 (2,908 Views)