Forbes Article - Andromeda Deserves DLC

by eoweintheile

Original Post

Forbes Article - Andromeda Deserves DLC

★★★★ Novice

This isn't a question - just an observation. I'm an ancient gamer - a person who started playing video games in the late 70's.  Stories and story lines end, the world changes, and we all move into the next cycle. This time, though, I believe that this game, this series has a story that is still compelling, is timely, and deserves to be at least elaborated to some sort of closure.  This means single-player DLC.  Forbes (sorry - no link!) has an article out this week that makes the case quite well.  Please take the time to search for the article, and share your thoughts.  As for me, I believe that Andromeda can still push at the edge of the ME storyline.  I don't mind waiting for single player DLC that fulfills the original promise.

Message 1 of 34 (2,101 Views)

Re: Forbes Article - Andromeda Deserves DLC

★★ Guide

I think you were talking about these:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2017/07/01/mass-effect-andromeda-deserves-its-quarian-ark-dl...

and 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2017/05/11/mass-effect-andromeda-sequel-issues-may-leave-all...

I did gave them both a read and its very sad indeed that they chose to leave this game out in the winds.

Maybe we'll get a sequel or at least some closure to the current events left unfinished but .... it looks like we either have to wait a long time for it or ... it may never come .....

This just proves that what studios EA buys and own will eventually become dead. They did this with Criterion Games.

The good side of things is that we have the trilogy, and its finished. At least that went somewhat well.

Message 2 of 34 (2,050 Views)

Hero

@dmg_dork wrote:
I did gave them both a read and its very sad indeed that they chose to leave this game out in the winds.

That hasn't been confirmed yet. While a lot of people think it's odd we haven't heard anything yet, BioWare usually takes their time to release the first proper single player DLC. If DLC is in the works, then based on previous BioWare games I'd say it should land some time in August.

CCP Hero Banner - Red.png

Message 3 of 34 (2,042 Views)

★★ Guide

Only time will tell, i'm giving it 'till the end of the year. If no DLC is out by the end of the year, then its truly dead.

Message 4 of 34 (2,040 Views)

Hero

That's a generous margin. I think it's also concerning that there hasn't been any major multiplayer DLC. I think we should have had some big map packs by now.

CCP Hero Banner - Red.png

Message 5 of 34 (2,027 Views)

★★ Guide

Now that you've mentioned MP map packs, i do remember they told in an interview before launch that they'll have map packs out after launch, pretty much like ME 3 had. Yet...nothing

Message 6 of 34 (2,019 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Guide

@eoweintheile wrote:

This isn't a question - just an observation. I'm an ancient gamer - a person who started playing video games in the late 70's.  Stories and story lines end, the world changes, and we all move into the next cycle. This time, though, I believe that this game, this series has a story that is still compelling, is timely, and deserves to be at least elaborated to some sort of closure.  This means single-player DLC.  Forbes (sorry - no link!) has an article out this week that makes the case quite well.  Please take the time to search for the article, and share your thoughts.  As for me, I believe that Andromeda can still push at the edge of the ME storyline.  I don't mind waiting for single player DLC that fulfills the original promise.

Do the players deserve a DLC?

To put it mildly, this game and the BioWare staff were treated very unfairly by 'the internet' and 'game reviewers'. It even got to the point of personally harassing specific staff members.

I'm starting to think that so-called 'Fans of the Franchise' are getting exactly what they deserve....  At best a long silent, uncertain wait and at worst, nothing.

It's just unfortunate that those who actually played the game all the way through, those who liked the game, are stuck waiting for the black cloud to dissipate.

Message 7 of 34 (2,002 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

@Fred_vdp wrote:

@dmg_dork wrote:

That hasn't been confirmed yet. While a lot of people think it's odd we haven't heard anything yet, BioWare usually takes their time to release the first proper single player DLC. If DLC is in the works, then based on previous BioWare games I'd say it should land some time in August.

i hope so but why wouldn't they at least do something against the Mass Effect is dead rumors.

@TKMcClone wrote:

@eoweintheile wrote:

Do the players deserve a DLC?

To put it mildly, this game and the BioWare staff were treated very unfairly by 'the internet' and 'game reviewers'. It even got to the point of personally harassing specific staff members.

I'm starting to think that so-called 'Fans of the Franchise' are getting exactly what they deserve....  At best a long silent, uncertain wait and at worst, nothing.

It's just unfortunate that those who actually played the game all the way through, those who liked the game, are stuck waiting for the black cloud to dissipate.

i agree people went to far in some cases. but is that a reason the punish the rest of us for the actions of bunch of loudmouth morons.
Message 8 of 34 (1,988 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Thanks for the reply!  I agree that the game, Bioware, and EA were treated badly by trolls.  There were legitimate issues with the March 16 preview release, and many fans provided constructive feedback and critique.  Many people who posted comments on forums, however, continued to whinge on about their unending disappointment in Masse Effect 3's ending, or DAII's repetitive maps, or the inclusion of gay and transgender characters, or the horrible affront of having women (I am one) in gaming  - which is an occupation or hobby only owned by said whingers.  They are not fans.  They are cyberbullies and - in some cases- criminals.  

Frankly, I believe that the entire gaming industry needs to reinvision itself - and not just as a profitable capitalist enterprise.  There is power in networks, and the industry just hasn't figured out how to leverage that power well.  When you filter out the trolls, and you look at initial sales for the game as a "work in progress" versus "finished product" - it did very well indeed.  Why stop investing now, when you risk losing the entire network that you've spent years building and sustaining?  It just doesn't make sense.

Message 9 of 34 (1,976 Views)

★ Guide

Bear in mind a lot of those so called "player reviews" early on were based on people playing the pirate version with its broken hacked exe. Happens with every AAA game these days. Even saw one person complain a game was broken, then proceed to demand help from the developers in fixing the crack version. That is how stupid some gamers are.

Message 10 of 34 (1,962 Views)